Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optics any recommendations

Optics any recommendations

Hi only been back on the seen for a few weeks I have a smk xs19 springer I have tinkered with her my next purchase is a half decent scope . I bought a cheep and cheerful scope to get me started. I will say just about ok . If I move a metre up range I have to re zero . Accurate when zero is set . So any ideas of a half decent scope ( not costing a fortune) the banker is watching my spending like a hawke ( the misses lol )
    Thanks
    Steve

Hi,
    What range are you shooting at and how does the zero shift when you move the target by a meter?

On other matters what is your budget for a scope and what scope are you looking to replace?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Hawke do a very scope for about £70, lifetime warranty for the purchaser.
    Was looking at one yesterday. Think it was a 4-12 x 40. Complete with mounts.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Choose a ret that allows yountonaim off for distance. A simple 30/30 reticule + is not good for aiming iff though this is what I originally used for HFT to great effect. There are many ladder type rets that give to mill and half mill stadia so for a given range ... you know what one of the mils is tlfor that distance. Look up MTC SCB ret for an idea.

You set a zero and then either dial the top turret tonadjust for the Point of Impact POI or you aim high or low with your ret.

Cheap scopes dont usually have ballitic turreslts soma decent ret will serve you well.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I would keep max mag of 10x, and max 44diameter, plus more important is to have short range parallaxable, which does not necessary equal focus.

I wish someone was making a really good 8x

The stupid youtube influencers suggerated into people that we all need tactical turrets these days plus large 56 size minimum. Complete bullshit.

Hawke Vantage AO Scopes are good value, 2-7, 3-9, 4-12 all good all rounders

BSA 4-12 AO from JSR for 60 quid is a bargain - local dealers have them at 90-100
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Nikko Stirling Panamax, excellent lenses, mildot ret, wide field of view.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Stebrad10 View Post
    Hi only been back on the seen for a few weeks I have a smk xs19 springer I have tinkered with her my next purchase is a half decent scope . I bought a cheep and cheerful scope to get me started. I will say just about ok . If I move a metre up range I have to re zero . Accurate when zero is set . So any ideas of a half decent scope ( not costing a fortune) the banker is watching my spending like a hawke ( the misses lol )
    Thanks
    Steve
    The answer lies within your post

Have a look at the Hawke 2-7x32 AO or if you want something a tad larger the 3-9x40 AO. Both of these will do all you want all day long, esp the 2-7 because with that you can get away with low mounts.

When you say about having to re-zero when moving up range, does the adjustment have to go up and down or left and right? If it's left and right, it could be poor quality mounts mis-aligning the scope to the cylinder. If I can I get Sportsmatch mounts now and haven't had any issues alignment wise. If the adjustment is up and down, expect it to a small degree, as the pellet doesn't have a straight trajectory, it arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stebrad10 View Post
    Thanks
    Steve

Yes that's correct, if you move position your point of impact (POI) will be at a different point on the trajectory curve of the pellet, so if you use the same point of aim (POA) the POI will be either high or low, which one will depend on whether it's the near zero or the far zero.
    The pellet first crosses the line of sight going up, then crosses it again as it drops back due to gravity.

I suggest you download Hawke Chairgun which shows trajectories on a graph in relation to line of sight through the scope.

If the POI is also moving to the side, either the scope is not exactly in line with the barrel, the rifle is canted when you shoot so the scope is not exactly vertical to the barrel or the scope reticle (crosshair) is not mounted vertical to the barrel which causes you to cant the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Hawke Vantage AO Scopes are good value, 2-7, 3-9, 4-12 all good all rounders

BSA 4-12 AO from JSR for 60 quid is a bargain - local dealers have them at 90-100
    This ^^^

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

If your budget won't stretch to Hawke have a look at the Richter optik scopes on our sponsors website, I bought a 3-9x40 recently and they aren't bad for the money. Quite like the look of the 3-9x50 ao too

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    When you say about having to re-zero when moving up range, does the adjustment have to go up and down or left and right? If the adjustment is up and down, expect it to a small degree, as the pellet doesn't have a straight trajectory, it arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Yes that's correct, if you move position your point of impact (POI) will be at a different point on the trajectory curve of the pellet, so if you use the same point of aim (POA) the POI will be either high or low, which one will depend on whether it's the near zero or the far zero.
    The pellet first crosses the line of sight going up, then crosses it again as it drops back due to gravity.
    Having looked at a few of Steve's posts now, I would have to guess that most of his shooting is at close range, so I would think that the issue is as above? Indeed, learning those very close range aim points is vital, especially when ratting. And how many close range shots have been missed in outdoor competition?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Steve, what scope is currently fitted?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi all I only shooting short range max 15 metres ( length of garden) I get the poi drops the further you shoot . The scope is a cheep smk scope and cheep mounts . Maybe it could be me . But having to move the zero left or right is puzzling me . Well I will look into some of the scopes recommended.
    Thanks
    Steve