Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optics any recommendations

Is the scope a little 4x20 with the pressed steel mounts? If so, that could be your problem.

If it's something like a 4x32 with a one inch body, those little scopes are usually quite okay and easily up to the usage you're describing. Make sure all mounting points are tight.

Whilst you're at it, double check the stock screws and DO try some different pellets, too.

The Hawke Vantage and Nikko Mountmaster are good and offer excellent performance at decent prices. If you have a look in the Sales section, you might be able to save yourself a lot of money, as many members will often sell these types of scopes when upgrading to more expensive tackle.

Also, if you look on our sponsor's site, JS Ramsbottom, prices are good, very often discounted specials and the service is excellent.

Or pop an ad into the Wanted section?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stebrad10 View Post
    Hi all I only shooting short range max 15 metres ( length of garden) I get the poi drops the further you shoot . The scope is a cheep smk scope and cheep mounts . Maybe it could be me . But having to move the zero left or right is puzzling me . Well I will look into some of the scopes recommended.
    Thanks
    Steve
    Are you sure you're not canting the rifle Steve ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Hi all I only shooting short range max 15 metres ( length of garden) I get the poi drops the further you shoot . The scope is a cheep smk scope and cheep mounts . Maybe it could be me . But having to move the zero left or right is puzzling me . Well I will look into some of the scopes recommended.
    Thanks
    Steve
    As Martyn says you are either canting the rifle (the scope and barrel are not in vertical alignment when you are firing, a good way to check this is to look at a plumb line through your scope.), or the scope itself is off-centre.
    Some scope/mount/rail combinations are more susceptible to the latter problem than others.
    If using a scope with a 25/30mm body, sometimes the mount clamps can be spun around, or the entire mount turned around so the mounting screws are on the opposite side - and that will solve the problem.
    Good deals with these members

If you are having to move left or right the farther out you get, do you have to move back in the opposite direction when you move closer again? This could be mis-alignment of the scope to the rifle through poor mounts or out of straight rifle / scope rail.

the legend has it the gipsies bent your barrel at the shooting gallery, have you got that gun from the travelling funfair?
    ��

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    If you are having to move left or right the farther out you get, do you have to move back in the opposite direction when you move closer again? This could be mis-alignment of the scope to the rifle through poor mounts or out of straight rifle / scope rail.
    Or possibly barrel out of line with action / dovetails
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

If the scope mounts only have a single fixing bolt it's possible the clamp bit is upside down on one of them, which will mean the scope is angled, so have a close look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    If the scope mounts only have a single fixing bolt it's possible the clamp bit is upside down on one of them, which will mean the scope is angled, so have a close look at them.
    That's a good point

Thanks all for the advise I have repositioned the scope and mounts this seems to have sorted things out . I think I had not fixed the mount properly my bad . Well in the end I have ordered a sterling Mountmaster scope .

Thanks all for the advise I have repositioned the scope and mounts this seems to have sorted things out . I think I had not fixed the mount properly my bad . Well in the end I have ordered a sterling Mountmaster scope .
    No problem, plenty of people willing to help here

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Glad to hear you got it sorted.
    If you are looking for mounts for your new scope, you can't go wrong with Sportsmatch mounts. A couple more pounds spent on the mounts can save a lot of headaches.
    Good deals with these members

Excellent. Glad you got to the bottom of it.

The Mountmasters are a very good scope at the price point.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Well my new scope has arrived the sterling mount master. My only problem is the school holidays. So not had a chance to have a play . But they look a half decent scope . Let’s see how I go .