Thread: Help hunting

Help hunting

Dose anybody know of any permissions I can get in the East Sussex area I use air rifle and have plenty of respect for fields grounds ect

Most common issue in shooting, You just need to knock on doors or write letters to landowners asking permission.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Most common issue in shooting, You just need to knock on doors or write letters to landowners asking permission.
    So I see a field I like how do I find out who the landowner is?

Knock on some doors .
    Be polite .
    Dont wear camo
    Be prepared for a NO
    Keep trying , then try some more .
    Be prepared to help move livestock .
    Once you gain a permission, guard it with your life .
    Oh and did I say keep trying .

Quote Originally Posted by David- View Post
    So I see a field I like how do I find out who the landowner is?
    Usually it will be the nearest farm house
    you can also ask in an ad in the parish magazine, or local web site/farcebook in the modern world, village notice board etc

Incidently,going off subject slightly.
    Don't be tempted to wander on an unkown piece of farm land,even if it's on a signed public footpath.

Some livestock can become feisty if they're disturbed.

As a farmer friend once put it "the bull's alright,it's the heifers that can become aggressive with strangers".

It’s annoyingly because where I live there is nothing but farms and fields!

It’s annoyingly because where I live there is nothing but farms and fields!
    Well, they ain't going to come knocking on your door, so you've got to go knock on theirs.

Tried a couple houses today but no luck apparently most farm houses have been sold and the farmers don’t live there anymore. Going to try find out if someone knows in my rifle club but I can expect this to go on for quite some time!

Worse is people actually get paid to do it!

I've never got a permission through cold calling. It's always been through work or someone I know. I've been blessed with the five I've got, one I've had for 15years. But I've worked hard at keeping them, never taken anyone other than my son, which the farmers seem to like for some reason. I've tried to learn about farming to try look less of a townie. Proved on many occasions to be a useful extra pair of eyes, repairing broken stock fences, helping entangled sheep and being around more at lambing and bailing times.
    Make it know to everyone that you hunt, word of mouth may prove dividends, good luck with you search.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I've never got a permission through cold calling. It's always been through work or someone I know. I've been blessed with the five I've got, one I've had for 15years. But I've worked hard at keeping them, never taken anyone other than my son, which the farmers seem to like for some reason. I've tried to learn about farming to try look less of a townie. Proved on many occasions to be a useful extra pair of eyes, repairing broken stock fences, helping entangled sheep and being around more at lambing and bailing times.
    Make it know to everyone that you hunt, word of mouth may prove dividends, good luck with you search.
    Thanks you for your advice got a reply from a local golf course not ideally what I was after but this is progression

Thanks you for your advice got a reply from a local golf course not ideally what I was after but this is progression
    Good way for word of mouth contacts, lots of golfers probably own a bit of ground.

Tried a couple houses today but no luck apparently most farm houses have been sold and the farmers don’t live there anymore. Going to try find out if someone knows in my rifle club but I can expect this to go on for quite some time!

Worse is people actually get paid to do it!
    That depends. I would prefer to get paid but many shooters will do pest control FOC. Some land owners even want to charge me to shoot on their land. Not going there.
    Look up the local farmers Union and young farmers... maybe a good place to get info or direction... maybe leave flyers... biz cards are under a tenner for a few hundred.....

Your only limited by your imagination. Local.library. local boozers. Any stores wgere the sell agricultural product and animal feeds and equipment. Cou trywide stores who sadly stopped trading had notice boards you could pin a card to.

Farmers weekly. Top tractor magazine.....if there is such a thing....

You can also get the details of the landowner from the the local council oslf you identify the land....
    Letters in envelopes on the gate (make sure its in regular use with fresh tracks etc)... loads of ways.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

There is no easy answer. You just have to keep trying, and be polite. They probably have been asked dozens of times to let armed people onto their land with various results, not all of them good. You could say that by offering a free pest control service might be useful. Always carry insurance, BASC for instance as most will know of them and they don't know you. Word of mouth is very strong in the farming community, if you get lucky don't mess it up.
    Good luck

Steve C.

(....and let them know in advance when and where you are shooting).
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

The local pub is always a good place to start, had loads of permissions by putting the word around over a few pints.

Failing that writing letters can work. I’m not one for cold calling but it works for some.