Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley 'Typest'

Webley 'Typest'

I was just adding some of Troubledshooter's wonderful Webley pics to the gallery and thought I was posting up some pics of an unmarked Tempest, when I noticed it was in fact a rare 'Typest'.

The existence of this pistol seems to have passed me by. Was Webley seriously thinking of marketing a pistol with that name, or was it a hybrid prototype of some sort before the name had been decided?!

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....oon/#post-4835
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

And is that the "TyPhoo" pictured below it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And is that the "TyPhoo" pictured below it?
    But if the name is a hybrid of Typhoon and Tempest, I can't see much Typhoon heritage?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    But if the name is a hybrid of Typhoon and Tempest, I can't see much Typhoon heritage?
    It looks to me to have a Typhoon grip frame. Maybe it also has the weaker mainspring?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    There is bit about the "Typests" in the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols, which says:

WEBLEY TYPEST
    An unofficial name for a small number of analogues of the Tempest pistol, which were made from milled-down defective Typhoon frame castings instead of Hurricane castings. Thus these were slightly smaller than the Tempest in the grip area, and had the characteristic brown grip plates of the Typhoon. As they were not intended for the market they were unmarked. Only six examples were made and these have found their way into private collections.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    There is bit about the "Typests" in the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols, which says:

WEBLEY TYPEST
    An unofficial name for a small number of analogues of the Tempest pistol, which were made from milled-down defective Typhoon frame castings instead of Hurricane castings. Thus these were slightly smaller than the Tempest in the grip area, and had the characteristic brown grip plates of the Typhoon. As they were not intended for the market they were unmarked. Only six examples were made and these have found their way into private collections.
    Thanks John. I should have known to look in ESAP! Doh.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

PS. How do you feel about creating an ESAP website that we can search (or having somebody do it for you)? It would be a great way of sharing knowledge if we could copy and paste entries into our posts.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    PS. How do you feel about creating an ESAP website that we can search (or having somebody do it for you)? It would be a great way of sharing knowledge if we could copy and paste entries into our posts.
    Hi Danny,
    While I am of course delighted for people to share any information that can be gleaned from my book, putting up the whole manuscript (in effect) on the internet for free access would basically mean giving up future sales interests there might be in the book, either as a reprint or as an expanded second edition. One of the effects would be to risk losing my current enthusiasm for writing a new edition, with all the associated interesting research that fills my time, and it is an enthusiasm that I do not want to lose. At my age, the enthusiasms that you can actively pursue get fewer and fewer, and those that you can still enjoy need to be nurtured while the brain is still active.

Of course, if the warning signs of senility set in before I complete my new edition and the prospect of it ever being published recede over the horizon, I will be happy to make everything available on the internet before it is too late.

Fair enough, John! Obviously we must avoid anything that interferes with your enthusiasm to produce an expanded update, since that's a priceless goal for us all. It's very kind of you to offer to make it available if, God forbid, senilty sppears likely!

I should have made it clear that I didn't expect it to be free to anyone - nowadays I believe it's relatively easy to have a paywall between readers and texts. But I take your point. Why should you remove any incentive to buy future editions of ESAP? Of course that would be wrong, although having such a lovely artifact in your personal library is probably enough of a temptation to motivate quite a few sales...

Good luck with the update. I can't wait.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Hi Danny,
    While I am of course delighted for people to share any information that can be gleaned from my book, putting up the whole manuscript (in effect) on the internet for free access would basically mean giving up future sales interests there might be in the book, either as a reprint or as an expanded second edition. One of the effects would be to risk losing my current enthusiasm for writing a new edition, with all the associated interesting research that fills my time, and it is an enthusiasm that I do not want to lose. At my age, the enthusiasms that you can actively pursue get fewer and fewer, and those that you can still enjoy need to be nurtured while the brain is still active.

Of course, if the warning signs of senility set in before I complete my new edition and the prospect of it ever being published recede over the horizon, I will be happy to make everything available on the internet before it is too late.
    I have nothing to add to this except.... HURRY UP MAN!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Danny,

It would be great to have a second edition.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    It would be great to have a second edition.
    One of the very few books that I wouldn't hesitate to buy even though I already have a much cherished first edition. A very useful additional section could possibly be devoted to the excellent reproductions of some prototype air pistols that I know John has produced and shared some insight into with us on the forum.

Brian

Hi Danny,

I've been trying to get hold of your book for ages. If you do decide to Reprint/update/have a new edition published, keep us in touch please. I for one, would be happy to shell out pre publication on the promise of it happening.

Fair enough, John! Obviously we must avoid anything that interferes with your enthusiasm to produce an expanded update, since that's a priceless goal for us all. It's very kind of you to offer to make it available if, God forbid, senilty sppears likely!

I should have made it clear that I didn't expect it to be free to anyone - nowadays I believe it's relatively easy to have a paywall between readers and texts. But I take your point. Why should you remove any incentive to buy future editions of ESAP? Of course that would be wrong, although having such a lovely artifact in your personal library is probably enough of a temptation to motivate quite a few sales...

Good luck with the update. I can't wait.
    And that's why this section is often referred to as the Gentlemens' Corner.

Fair play to both of you. Long may you flourish, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    One of the very few books that I wouldn't hesitate to buy even though I already have a much cherished first edition. A very useful additional section could possibly be devoted to the excellent reproductions of some prototype air pistols that I know John has produced and shared some insight into with us on the forum.

Brian
    And also some other one offs that have been made by some very good engineers over the years.