Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diana disappointment

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post
    Hi to my eyes it looks more like a nine so would be 01 97. It looks like it has been over struck to me Graham.
    And on checking, they didn't start makng them til 93! Deffo a 97
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've been searching for a .22 springer for the upcoming Springer Bash in June. As per Paul's excellent suggestion, I wanted something not AA or HW. A wanted ad brought forth some truly excellent guns and I was spoilt for choice, but while dropping a couple of guns at a local RFD yesterday I saw a Diana 52 leaning against the counter. It didn't have open sights, but it did have a slim steel mod. "It's just come in in a px" says the fella, "I'll get a price for you and ring you in the morning".
    A price was duly given and I went in to collect. On returning to the workshop I noticed something odd. This isn't the Diana 52 I had been expecting, I've been lumbered with a Diana 54 Airking!
    can anyone tell me about this mod, is it standard? Can it be removed? (Theres no grub screw)
    I want to fit open sights, does anyone have any who wants a mod?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Good evening Nick,
    I seem to recall that you had an Airking previously? If memory serves by the thread back in the day it had a laminate stock? A rare beastie. I was a little surprised you say you didn't recognise the 52/54 differences before walking out the shop. But rather than a disappointment I rather think this is a pleasant surprise. I've certainly fell head over heals for the one I've gone and bought but as it is in .25 calibre my shooting is a little niche and I'm using it for relatively close in squirrel culling- a task that it accomplishes with aplomb.
    I really do think these guns will become classics in years to come and I'm so taken with mine I am keeping an eye open for one in .177 to undertake the more mainstream shooting I undertake.
    As has been said the moderator that's been fitted actually appears to be of decent quality and suits the gun. In actual fact it had crossed my mind that a clever so and so could remove the factory barrel shroud and fit a new one complete with inserts to make up an enclosed mod with clean lines ala pro sport. I think this would enhance the guns lines though it may add a little more length to barrel than the pro sport and may make the gun a little unwieldy.
    The reduced bore/ lightened piston set up certainly sounds impressive and I'd imagine makes an already competent semi recoilless gun sublime. Reducing movement on the sledge to around 5mm must be remarkable and I'd certainly like to see what the firing action on that feels like.
    Anyhow I do hope you get along well with your current purchase as reading some of your older posts you appear to have something of a love/hate relationship with the marque- falling in love and outta love at speed
    Have you got any special plans/ mods in the pipeline for this one then?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Good evening Nick,
    I seem to recall that you had an Airking previously? If memory serves by the thread back in the day it had a laminate stock? A rare beastie. I was a little surprised you say you didn't recognise the 52/54 differences before walking out the shop. But rather than a disappointment I rather think this is a pleasant surprise. I've certainly fell head over heals for the one I've gone and bought but as it is in .25 calibre my shooting is a little niche and I'm using it for relatively close in squirrel culling- a task that it accomplishes with aplomb.
    I really do think these guns will become classics in years to come and I'm so taken with mine I am keeping an eye open for one in .177 to undertake the more mainstream shooting I undertake.
    As has been said the moderator that's been fitted actually appears to be of decent quality and suits the gun. In actual fact it had crossed my mind that a clever so and so could remove the factory barrel shroud and fit a new one complete with inserts to make up an enclosed mod with clean lines ala pro sport. I think this would enhance the guns lines though it may add a little more length to barrel than the pro sport and may make the gun a little unwieldy.
    The reduced bore/ lightened piston set up certainly sounds impressive and I'd imagine makes an already competent semi recoilless gun sublime. Reducing movement on the sledge to around 5mm must be remarkable and I'd certainly like to see what the firing action on that feels like.
    Anyhow I do hope you get along well with your current purchase as reading some of your older posts you appear to have something of a love/hate relationship with the marque- falling in love and outta love at speed
    Have you got any special plans/ mods in the pipeline for this one then?
    Dave
    Well remembered sir! The previous one was indeed in a laminate stock, and mighty handsome it was too. Trouble was it was in .177. The wrong calibre!
    A good friend of mine has it now and it is still lovely, if not a tad effeminate.

I had only seen the gun in passing the day before, the price was ridiculously cheap so I turned up, handed over the cash and gunslip and in it went. I was truly surprised and delighted by the revelation.

As mentioned previously, I have a few 22mm skirtless piston sets here from tx's, but having tried them at the bash and in my own guns it's just too "crashy" for me.

I'm going to sleeve it to 25mm and see what happens. TBH I thought it was a 52 when I ordered the first parts for this conversion. It really seems utterly redundant in such a sweet shooting rifle, but I'll do it nontheless.
    Last edited by tinbum; 18-04-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Well remembered sir! The previous one was indeed in a laminate stock, and mighty handsome it was too. Trouble was it was in .177. The wrong calibre!
    A good friend of mine has it now and it is still lovely, if not a tad effeminate.

I had only seen the gun in passing the day before, the price was ridiculously cheap so I turned up, handed over the cash and gunslip and in it went. I was truly surprised and delighted by the revelation.

As mentioned previously, I have a few 22mm skirtless piston sets here from tx's, but having tried them at the bash and in my own guns it's just too "crashy" for me.

I'm going to sleeve it to 25mm and see what happens. TBH I thought it was a 52 when I ordered the first parts for this conversion. It really seems utterly redundant in such a sweet shooting rifle, but I'll do it nontheless.

I keep meaning to measure up the Diana breech seal to see if it can be replaced with one of Knibbs' soft Feinwerkbau 300 breech seals --- this would save the D52/54/56 cocking link bending like a Banana to get an airtight seal.

For anyone 'on ticket' I think I saw a 'full power' Diana side lever at C H Westons in Brighton tother day .... ...
    Just sayin, I bet that is a doozy of a Rabbit Sniper
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I keep meaning to measure up the Diana breech seal to see if it can be replaced with one of Knibbs' soft Feinwerkbau 300 breech seals --- this would save the D52/54/56 cocking link bending like a Banana to get an airtight seal.
    And the answer is no, the Feinwerkbau seal is much bigger in OD, I've just checked on my old 52 :-

image.jpg

And the answer is no, the Feinwerkbau seal is much bigger in OD, I've just checked on my old 52 :-

image.jpg
    I'm having just that problem with my one can't seem to get a decent seal
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    I'm having just that problem with my one can't seem to get a decent seal
    I'm now wondering if a Weihrauch seal or a couple of TX O rings will fit, Jonathan ?

I'll have another measure up later.

I'm now wondering if a Weihrauch seal or a couple of TX O rings will fit, Jonathan ?

I know the Diana ones are a pita to get out without stripping the action down

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    I know the Diana ones are a pita to get out without stripping the action down
    Yes, I found that they're a bitch to get out without destroying them.

Next time I go to Knibbs I'll take my verniers and see if I can compare a 52 breech seal to this :-

image.jpg

Looks possible.

Weihrauch HW35 seal will fit in Jonathan --- not tried it yet though.

I've got a big bag of those, I'll give it a try

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Good evening Nick,
    I seem to recall that you had an Airking previously? If memory serves by the thread back in the day it had a laminate stock? A rare beastie.
    He lost that gun to me in a late night game of Twister at one of the bashes.

True story........

I've got a big bag of those, I'll give it a try
    Ah, so you like the '35 now then.

Go on, Nick, go the whole hog and just get a '35. You know you want it! Ooh, sir, suits you.......

Especially an Export, with its super long barrel and correspondingly generous sight base.....awesome on opens.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

By the looks of the standard breech seal I think it works as part of the transfer port