Thread: BSA XL tactical

BSA XL tactical

Good morning all,

I am sure this has been done many times before, but also after some extensive internet research and having spoken to some knowledgeable people at my shooting club, I still cannot pinpoint the differences between the Birmingham and Spanish made BSA XLs.

I have just bought a beautiful example which seems to be a Birmingham made version. First of all it is well engineered (compared to some examples I have seen in the past), there are no rattles when you shake the gun and the bluing is OK.

The trigger is fairly stiff but breaks cleanly without creep (the blade is made of steel and shows no side to side movement), the stock is made of black plastic and seems to be ambidextrous with a flat base behind the trigger block for a thumbs up position. The ones I have seen in the past where clearly biased right hand stocks with a roll-over cheek piece and a thumb groove on the right hand side of the pistol grip extending into the trigger end block cap.

The breech seal is transparent and the barrel seems to be slightly chamfered, seating a pellet (i.e. Hobby) is not a problem.

The top of the barrel is stamped "BSA GUNS UK LTD [BSA logo] .22 CAL" and on the right hand side of the scope rail it reads in white letters "[union jack] Serial - XLT 22 11 21-14 Made In Birmingham, England". Next to the serial number (towards the muzzle) there is a small "s" or "9" stamped into the scope rail. Under the scope rail there are two strips of rubber.

On the right hand side there is a manual safety mechanism and the gun is fitted with a anti bear trap. The cocking lever is laminated steel. There are two swivel studs fitted to the silencer and the butt of the stock.

Would be great if someone could help me shed some light on this.

Many thanks and a good day to all of you.

Best,
    Jonas
    Challenge HFT .177 16J | Optisan 10x44 | HW50S .22 16J | Fomei 4x32 | HW95K .177 LB 16J | Valiant 4x32 | HW80K .22 LB 26J | Valiant 4x32 | HW97K .177 16J | Schmidt & Bender 10x42

Hi Jonas, as I mentioned in our emails. The main difference between the Spanish and Birmingham made lightnings is the trigger mechanism. All the brummy ones share the same as the supersport and earlier (non maxi grip) lightnings. In the stock the gamo is identified by a plastic trigger blade. The gamo version didn't have the full length silencer fitted. Other than that they are hard to tell apart. I've owned both and they both shot well, though the brummy one you bought had the edge in accuracy and build quality.

I think the Gamo versions have a plastic trigger, but also a safety lever inside the trigger guard. Brum built versions have the safety lever on the side of the action.

I can only speak for the .177, but mine is lovely, trigger can be made super, and accuracy is as good as anything I’ve tried. Quiet too!
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

XL

I have an early XL which I bought new many years ago, wooden stock with a slight check piece on the left hand side, full length silencer domed at the muzzle end, metal trigger. Only markings on the gun are on the barrel in front of the breech '.22/5.5mm' and the shape of two pellets, one domed, one flat. The serial number is stamped on the left side of the breech block S34283. BSA Guns and the Piled Arms logo are stamped into the base of the pistol grip, and the rubber butt pad has the Piled Arms logo. The safety is on the right hand side of the cylinder which is engraved S & F with a double ended arrow between the letters. The trigger guard is stamped BSA. Other than that I can't see any other marking on the rifle or the scope rail, the action does not carry a BSA or a Birmingham logo anywhere (unless it is on the barrel hidden under the silencer)

The only mention of it being 'Made In Birmingham' is on the technical information page in the handbook

It seems true to form that BSA had different methods of marking at different times of production
    Last edited by ken69; 17-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.
    Challenge HFT .177 16J | Optisan 10x44 | HW50S .22 16J | Fomei 4x32 | HW95K .177 LB 16J | Valiant 4x32 | HW80K .22 LB 26J | Valiant 4x32 | HW97K .177 16J | Schmidt & Bender 10x42