Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamo gas strut conversion ?

Gamo gas strut conversion ?

Hi , looking for advice on a possible spring to gas strut conversion, for my old .25 Gamo shadow 1000, year 2009 model. Question is has anyone done this before and where can i find the parts or should i send it to a company that do'es this, Any positive input is welcome, This rifle has served well over the years , cheers mike

I have put gas Rams in Gamos before, pretty straightforward on a gun like that if you can find the ram. My advice is also order a couple of the little plastic horseshoe shaped cocking lever guides as these seem to fall apart pretty easy or break when taking the gun apart. I know chambers has all but the ram, you can probably find a ram on the fleabay. The last one I did on a CFX made the gun a great smooth shooter so worth the trouble.

The plastic parts I was referencing are BK126 on chambers diagram, if you don't have those the cocking lever scrapes the crap out of the reciver tube and it's very rough cocking

Hi, thankyou for the information ,so i guess no one sells the gasram as new i will look on e bay as you have said ,and advertise on here for one many thanks cheers mike

Pete, "look no hands" also has experience with this and will also be able to advise once he sees the thread.

If I remember correctly, when I had a quick look quite recently, one of the Australian custom parts suppliers, it may have been "Custom Air Seals" sell the rams. At the time, I think John Knibbs and Protek Supplies also had them.

But, I'd have to ask, do you you really want to go down this route? At the end of the day, it's all down to the individual and it's nice to have a tinker about and try different things, so why not?

But, I like springs, personally. Much easier to adjust the power, if required. And I'm also of the understanding that these Rams are sealed, so not serviceable by the owner.

If you just wanted to get rid of the twang, courtesy of the very slack spring guide, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Welsh Wily tuning kit. I recently did my Vipermax (same action, I believe) and the well fitted guides make it very civilised and, as said above, far easier to tweak if needs be.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi , Tony Thank you very much for extra information , i wasn't sure if welsh willy did a kit for a gun of that age, he is only half an hour away i may check him out cheers mike

Quote Originally Posted by HunterMike View Post
    Hi , Tony Thank you very much for extra information , i wasn't sure if welsh willy did a kit for a gun of that age, he is only half an hour away i may check him out cheers mike
    Although I don't know for sure, I'd guess that the action on your Shadow is the same as my Vipermax. In which case, Will's kit will work wonders.

Does yours have the metal trigger cassette?

If it's the same action, you'll have a slim metal rod as the guide, backed up by a shorter spacer. On the face of it, that shorter spacer is a good idea and is a nice, spinning fit on the base, but the main length of the guide is far too narrow compared to the spring internal diameter, leading to the dreadful twang. The metal "guide" can be simply driven out of the end block and replaced by Will's guide. Allied to the top hat and matching spring, the twang is gone. I also really like the design of that end block. Secured by the pin and backed up by the bolt.

Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'm here now

Like Tony says the rams can't be adjusted as they are sealed, I have one in my Brocock which is a Gamo action in a fancy stock, I was lucky enough to get a ram from the sales section, it is a Brazilian made ram, I had a good chat with a guy who works for the company who makes them, they supply them in different pressure levels, which you'll have to try and work out (there is a chart on their website) which one you'll need for your rifles power, the one I have isn't strong enough for my rifle, so it's only producing about 10ftp, the only problem I've found is that the postage from Brazil is pretty high (about £40), so they work out quit expensive, I am considering getting some stuff sent from them in the future (other projects have got in the way tho), personally I'd go down the Welsh Willy spring kit route as they are superb and you can adjust the power if needed, as you are just down the road from Will, I'd go and visit him and see what he can do.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Cheers for jumping in and enlightening us, Pete.

Hi, a really big thank you to all you have all been very helpful , i will give will a ring next week, i will keep you informed how i get on cheers mike

Blackpool Air Rifles website still seems to list Theoben gas rams including one for some Gamos. I guess it must be out of date?

SMK were able to supply mine through my RFD.

The part is BT6M22AYL

The dimensions are tube 18mm rod 8mm loa 260mm. rod is 110 long (protruding out) and tube 149 long.

There is a gas ram company in Derby that can make them but they would need one to compare.
    A refill is £18. You can put gas in but you cant take it out.
    Last edited by Neil54; 21-04-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

There is only about 4mm preload on a gas ram. You will need a spring compressor.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Thanks Neil, I must be honest this may be more than my capabilities , I may source a good RFD to do the upgrade for me, it needs more thought on my part thanks for the input cheers mike

Has Strut

Contact Gas Strut Engieering Ltd.Bedford,who manufacture the struts for BAR and AWT.