Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 6M

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

Original 6M

What price would I be looking at for one of these in vgc? I've recently bought one & I'm concerned I may have paid too much for it.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Between £150 and £225 I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Between £150 and £225 I would say.
    Perhaps a bit high?

I’d say £40-60 if a bit rough and needing seals.

£100-120 in presentable and working condition.

£150 in truly excellent condition, with wooden match grips.

Essential on these that the rotating barrel shroud is not cracked. Very hard to find replacements.

Hi there Paul55 I'd like to answer your question as best I can, but feel that I need a bit more info from you regarding your initial question "What price would I be looking at for one of these in vgc? I've recently bought one & I'm concerned I may have paid too much for it".

IMHO without a seller's description of the item inc photographs if possible, and some idea as to the price that you paid for it it's hard for anyone to offer offer much of an opinion in the matter and prices vary wildly depending on the exact details of the item in question..

However I'd go along with Geezer in his estimates, but would think that a really good 100% functional item with anatomical grips and boxed could generally fetch over £175.

Regards, Vic T.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 20-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.

I have repaired and resealed a few of these for local people and I have never heard anyone paying more than £160 for one especially if it has never been opened up from new. The front piston seal is likely to be affected by bacterial degradation and need changing. The back balance seal seems to not be affected most of the time. One of my favourite spring pistols, a lovely trigger and very accurate.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Oh heck. I paid £220 for what had been advertised as a mint condition pistol. Cosmetically it's in great condition, the plastic front shroud is in perfect condition,
    unfortunately the seals are shot as it's barely making 1 ft/lb. The seller has been very good & has offered a full refund. He thought it had been serviced by his gunsmith but it had been missed. I've had a quote of £65 to replace all the seals inc parts but I can't see the seller letting me have it for £120 if I get the work done. Such a shame as it is a beautifully made pistol with the sweetest trigger I've ever known. I now know the sort of price I should be paying if I find another one thanks to all your replies & I thank you all for that.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Agree with Frog. I paid E200-250 in euros I believe. Ivgc, but unserviced. Still shooting but had it serviced anyway.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Oh heck. I paid £220 for what had been advertised as a mint condition pistol. Cosmetically it's in great condition, the plastic front shroud is in perfect condition,
    unfortunately the seals are shot as it's barely making 1 ft/lb. The seller has been very good & has offered a full refund. He thought it had been serviced by his gunsmith but it had been missed. I've had a quote of £65 to replace all the seals inc parts but I can't see the seller letting me have it for £120 if I get the work done. Such a shame as it is a beautifully made pistol with the sweetest trigger I've ever known. I now know the sort of price I should be paying if I find another one thanks to all your replies & I thank you all for that.
    Paul, in UK you would pay £220 for the Model 10 which some look upon as a superior model. You are correct in estimating £120 for yours needing new seals as a set costs about £30 posted from a UK supplier. These pistols are not difficult to strip and repair when you use the correct sequence, in fact I prefer working on them compared to the single piston model 5. As I said previously, most of the 6's I have fixed did not need a new balance piston "seal" or washer as they call it (see pink one below). I think the front seal is affected by small amounts of lubricant that have been used.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the info Baz
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

For the shooting experience they are worth more than their second hand rate. Even the Model 10's aren't getting that high a price. All are bettered by the FWB 65's which get the better money.
    The model 10 is very much a target pistol and the 6 the better plinking good fun option. Well worth having one, or both.
    At the age they are they do require a service, and then can do many many more years.
    Most of the good 70's, 80's, target pistols are a bit of a bargain compared to what is offered new today for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Most of the good 70's, 80's, target pistols are a bit of a bargain compared to what is offered new today for that kind of money.
    This is so true. I fact I think it is true of collectable airguns generally

They are a lovely pistol to shoot, and virtually no movement thanks to the Giss system. You can get 400 fps + with Geco pellets when in good form, cutting nice clean holes in the target. I actually prefer to shoot them to the sledge system of the FWB 65, and the 6M is an easier pistol to strip and repair. I sold my last one for £160, and I have seen them change hands for £80. The nice thing is you see the model 6 quite often for sale in UK in its various models, my RFD had a few in last year, and I have seen them at the Kempton show.

Baz

I think - as I've said here many times before - that the Diana/Original mod 6 is the best kept 'secret' of the airgun world if you want a fun, accurate, relatively powerful, well-made and brilliantly-designed spring air pistol (and who doesn't?!).

So £220 for a mint example, even recently resealed, is too high a price to pay but not necessarily more than it is worth in one sense.

They are undervalued because so many were made over 40-odd years, and supply and demand means they can still be picked up quite cheaply.

Something similar is true of the FWB 65/80/90 but because in its day it was more costly and a top-end match pistol with no 'mass market' budget equivalent like the Diana, prices of the FWBs are almost double today.

In sheer fun-to-cost terms, a resealed Diana mod 6 against anything new of the same price is infinitey better in every way and you would be mad not to recognise this simple fact.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

100% agree with Baz and Garvin. I’ve had most of the classic 10M pistols (Diana 10, FWB80, FAS604, Gamo Compact - if that counts!) and the model 6 compares well to all of them.

If it helps, I recently purchased a 6G off here for 140 plus 15 p+p. Its in excellent condition with 3 foresight elements, box (no cardboard cover), instructions etc. They shoot really well, so much so in fact that it convinced me to purchase a mod10 on a whim. However, I need to pull my finger out and get the mod10 serviced, before I can comment on its performance.
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'