Thread: W. H. B. Smith & his argument for the superiority of CO2 rifles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

W. H. B. Smith & his argument for the superiority of CO2 rifles

W. H. B. Smith Book “Gas, Air, & Spring Guns written in the 1950’s was a awesome window into the golden age of vintage airguns. Well written and very detailed analysis of the guns of the day. As a vintage collector I seem to be stuck in the 1950’s especially with rifles. My favorite spring gun is my mid 1950’s Webley Mark 3 (Smith rated the highest) which I acquired last year. I have since acquired the American CO2 rifles contemporary with it. Crosman 160 and 400. Smith argues for the superiority of CO2? Very interesting argument and one I can test for myself. Interested in the thoughts across the water, Smith I believe was a American author but very well thought out.
    Here are my test guns and Smith’s thoughts:

Last edited by 45flint; 19-04-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Maybe a lone thought in this respect, but I respect his opinion (as long as readily available supplies of CO2 are avalable).

Otherwise, a Springer is streets ahead in the field.

JMHO,

Vic T

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    Maybe a lone thought in this respect, but I respect his opinion (as long as readily available supplies of CO2 are avalable).

Otherwise, a Springer is streets ahead in the field.

JMHO,

Vic T
    I not sure even Smith could have imagined the success and universal acceptance of the 12 gram CO2 cartridge.

I'm sure that Smith wrote this after reading the Crosman promotion materials on CO2. It contains all of the points that Crosman was then making for their new CO2 guns. Smith makes the right emphasis about this applying to the situation then current in the USA. He is directing this advice to an audience consisting of those interested in teaching firearms safety with airguns.

He is not making the case that CO2 guns are inherently superior to spring guns in general, and is very specific about that. One of his biggest concerns is cost. A good English spring pistol like the Webley was 3 or 4 times the cost of an American CO2 pistol.

Personally: I think CO2 guns are far superior to any spring gun; especially when the purpose is to put a single shot into the head of the target. When it comes to pest control, nothing beats a good CO2 rifle.

Here,in new Zealand,

the sports store catalogues have the Crosman models 150 and SA6 at just over eleven pounds(NZ pound was equal to the stg one then)and the Webley 'Senior' at just over ten pounds! I recall my interest in the likes of Webley and Acvoke diminished significantly when the six-shooter graced the counter of my favourite sports store! it was only a novelty I guess but I still have my 1959 one and it 'holds'. The Model 150/157 were a different kettle of fish.Good solid shooters that would last for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    I'm sure that Smith wrote this after reading the Crosman promotion materials on CO2. It contains all of the points that Crosman was then making for their new CO2 guns. Smith makes the right emphasis about this applying to the situation then current in the USA. He is directing this advice to an audience consisting of those interested in teaching firearms safety with airguns.

He is not making the case that CO2 guns are inherently superior to spring guns in general, and is very specific about that. One of his biggest concerns is cost. A good English spring pistol like the Webley was 3 or 4 times the cost of an American CO2 pistol.

Personally: I think CO2 guns are far superior to any spring gun; especially when the purpose is to put a single shot into the head of the target. When it comes to pest control, nothing beats a good CO2 rifle.
    Certainly Smith is writing from a point of view, and cost and the American marketplace factor in. But it is fun to have two guns manufactured at the same time go head to head and relive the past. The cost factor is still there my Webley cost about 3 times my 160. At the time of Smith CO2 was new technology not totally proven. It certainly is now and the 160 became one of the longest running Crosman designs, still made even today.

The MkIII was top of the range here

https://imgur.com/lBT9axq

The one pictured cost me $600NZ about ten years ago. It was offered as a prize in a sporting magazine.I got,the letter of congrats to the winner-from the Webley agent.Plus all the paperwork with a hardly used rifle.Looks a bit worn now!