Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: W. H. B. Smith & his argument for the superiority of CO2 rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    It’s probably nothing special about CO2, but simply F=PxA

A larger bore gives you a greater area, pressure is constant (particularly with CO2), so force increases. If I’ve done my sums correctly a 410 bore is 85mm2, and a .22 is 23.75, so you’ll be pushing the projectile with nearly four times the force

Velocity will probably be down (you may have more force but you’ve also got more mass), but as the limits are set on energy as you say it’s not really a project that can be safely conducted in the uk.

As for the springer vs co2 argument, a springer is in a sense more efficient as the transfer of energy to the pellet is adiabatic. However as the waste heat in a CO2 gun is created in the sparklet factory not the gun, it’s a theoretical point as far as the shooter is concerned. As for manners, I have a nicely set up FWB 127, and have just got an SFS Snipe, and tbh for both those guns (and also any good CO2 gun) the limiting factor on accuracy is me. So any slight benefit CO2 would have is moot

I would agree that for an average gun on an average day CO2 is likely to be more accurate though.
    I like that, I don't understand it [yet!] shall have to look up 'adiabatic'? but as you say accuracy is down to the shooter.
    kind regards Al.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    I like that, I don't understand it [yet!] shall have to look up 'adiabatic'? but as you say accuracy is down to the shooter.
    kind regards Al.
    You would have to think that the average shooter will be more accurate with CO2 just because of the mechanics of the moving piston. But in real life in my backyard the Webley probably has the edge. It has far better sights and I would think a little edge on the trigger. But I’m used to spring guns and how to hold them.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    kind regards Al.
    Sorry if you have already got it, but if not, you might be interested in the Cardew's book, Airguns from Trigger to Target. I don't think there is any question about how a spring powered airgun really works that they did not investigate.

Plus its in the finest British tradition of blokes in sheds, probably wearing cardigans, who really know their stuff.

I get where WHBS was coming from, even if he drank a bit of the Crosman kool-aid.

In the 50s, the new US market for airguns that weren’t BB guns was for home/garden use for (a) training juniors before moving on to RF/CF/shotgun or (b) marksmanship practice for “real” gun owners when they could not get to a range. The CO2 gun, handling and working more like a bolt action cartridge firearm, was desirable in that context.

In addition, and in particular, as WHBS says, the US guns, pump or CO2, were much cheaper.

My oldest comparative reference on pricing is the 1972 Airgun Digest. Your typical Benjamin, Crosman, Daisy, Sheridan “adult” rifles range from $44 (Crosman 766) to $66 (Sheridan Silver Streak). The European imports range from $79 (Webley Hawk) through $99 (HW35), $139 for an FWB Sport from Beeman, and an astonishing $478.50 (inflation corrected for 2019: $2900!) for the ARH custom 120-X FWB.

I suspect the price differential was greater in the 50s.

So his opinion, in the context of the US at the time, had great merit. British shooters were more into farmyard pest control or bell target, Germans, 10M match. Which led to different choices.