Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you prefer...name or number?

Number six

Get back Rover !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    My 2 cents worth. I prefer names on air guns. My Black Star brings an instant mental picture whereas an HW45 sounds a bit vague.

Same with cars, a name, to me, is much more user friendly.

So you guys with your Q7's XJS's and 320's......
    Yeah bit like my Spud Gun, the Widow Maker HXR007-Z which can take any Merris Piper or bake potatoes in the Magnum calibre of 1/8th big slug format
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    Yeah bit like my Spud Gun, the Widow Maker HXR007-Z which can take any Merris Piper or bake potatoes in the Magnum calibre of 1/8th big slug format

Full auto, section 5

Meandering back to the actual question...I prefer an alphanumeric designation. My rationale? It at least prevents some dreadful name being assigned to it. Gallahad, Rainstorm, Verminator. I could go on but I've already done a little sick in my mouth.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Who cares so long as it is nderstandable and somethi g to remember but not for piss taking reasons.

Any5hing to do with spqce.... quantum physics... black holes and ninja is fine by me.

I guess short and sweet is bette4 than a sentence or overt reference to the covert SAS Stars wars elite trooper etc....

BSA R10
    HW100 S
    AA S510
    FX IMPACT
    as examples.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Who cares so long as it is nderstandable and somethi g to remember but not for piss taking reasons.

Any5hing to do with spqce.... quantum physics... black holes and ninja is fine by me.

I guess short and sweet is bette4 than a sentence or overt reference to the covert SAS Stars wars elite trooper etc....
    Did you do a bag of spice before you typed this?
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

*Deletes suggestion of the 'Boing-thruster 8-Million' for the new Air Arms springer*
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Did you do a bag of spice before you typed this?
    The poster is dyslexic if I remember right .

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

BSA R10
    HW100 S
    AA S510
    FX IMPACT
    as examples.
    Never trust the auto spell checker and check before you post
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    *Deletes suggestion of the 'Boing-thruster 8-Million' for the new Air Arms springer*
    I thought that was gonna be " The unobtanium 3'000 "

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Meandering back to the actual question...I prefer an alphanumeric designation. My rationale? It at least prevents some dreadful name being assigned to it. Gallahad, Rainstorm, Verminator. I could go on but I've already done a little sick in my mouth.
    Some guns have had good names though, the best of which I reckon was the Airsporter.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Some guns have had good names though, the best of which I reckon was the Airsporter.
    Bravo that man

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    When I had my Diana mod 16 an "Airsporter " was my dream

When I first saw the thread I thought ... What a silly question!

... but it's a good question.

I prefer numbers.

I find it embarrassing when I'm asked to name the rifle that I use to flirt 8gr of lead at tin chickens 50m away at 11fp and I have to say that it's a '0.177 Satan's Death Ray' or some other ridiculous name designed to attract the camo zombie brigade.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    One of the reasons I asked was because sometimes makers manage to get the names of their rifles in their range pretty well down to a T (in my mind anyway), I refer to the early Air Arms sidelever range, with some excellent names of different winds (Bora, Camargue, Khamsin etc), Webley sort of done the same with the Tomahawk, Sidewinder, Exocet etc which I believe are different missiles.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in