Thread: Parker Hale .451 volunteer

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting

Parker Hale .451 volunteer

Looking to purchase a 2 band .451 Parker Hale volunteer, been told to try and get a original Parker Hale Birmingham one, what’s the tell tale signs of a Birmingham made rifle compared to a euroarms etc any information would help and gratefully received.
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Quote Originally Posted by markreid View Post
    Looking to purchase a 2 band .451 Parker Hale volunteer, been told to try and get a original Parker Hale Birmingham one, what’s the tell tale signs of a Birmingham made rifle compared to a euroarms etc any information would help and gratefully received.
    A genuine Parker-Hale rifle will be stamped Parker-Hale Birmingham Cal.451" on the left-hand side of the breech, and bear Birmingham proof marks. It will also have a four-digit serial number. It will have the Parker-Hale logo on the right-hand side of the butt.

When you get it, take a look at world-champion shooter and MLAGB comps secretary David Minshall's articles on his research press website - 'Shooting the Enfield'.

One more thing - DO NOT USE ANY KIND OF A SUBSTITUTE PROPELLANT [PYRODEX RS, TRIPLE 7 ET AL] - the results will be unmitigated shite.

And join the MLAGB.

PS - When you get it, please PM me with the serial number - Mr Minshall is keeping a record of P-H serials

Many thanks for the info, the one I was looking at wasn't a Birmingham gun, do have emailed the chap concerned explaining why I believe his gun isn't a genuine Parker hale Birmingham gun, so still looking, know of one but they want silly money for it .

Many thanks for the info, the one I was looking at wasn't a Birmingham gun, do have emailed the chap concerned explaining why I believe his gun isn't a genuine Parker hale Birmingham gun, so still looking, know of one but they want silly money for it .
    Selling a non-Birmingham gun as the real deal is an offence - it's called fraud, although perhaps here in UK it is acceptable practice. Note that early Euroarms guns DID have P-H barrels.

While not engaged in any way with P-H, except as a customer, I am more than familiar with the take-over of their assets by EuroArms/Navy Arms, and the acquisition by them of a number of barrels in all calibres and lengths. This enables them to cash in on the famous name and reputation of P-H, without having to have done much work, but eventually they ran out and home-grown Italian barrels will have had to be made. They will, of course, bear Italian proof marks -

1. the miniature coat of arms of Gardone Val Trompia in Brescia - location of the Italian State proof house.

2. the letters PN - Pulvore nero - black powder.

3. A small square cartouche containing either Roman numbers [unlikely, given the age of this series] or a two-letter code - far more likely. The wood will probably be superior to that of the original P-H, too, which was nothing to write home about, TBH.

4. the words EuroArms or even, if early versions, Navy Arms - now both defunct.

5. the serial numbers for all of the Volunteer and other types are gotten from the Muzzle Loader's Assn of Great Britain - 28 Jan, 2010

0000 to ~9000 made in Birmingham

~9000 to 14000 Birmingham barrels, rest made in Italy

>14000 Italian made.

Happily, Kranks have a lot spares of most parts, but you would be well-advised to make your first buy from Peter Dyson, maker of the platinum nipple. I've had one on an original P-H for over 30 years now - the OE item will last a whole competition of thirty shots, but after that, you might find that the hammer is blowing back on you - disconcerting to say the least. £120 might seem a lot of money for one small item, but buying three or four a year of the copper-beryllium versions might prove to be a false economy, given the fiver shipping every time on top of the tenner or so for the thing itself.

The .451 bullet mould by Lyman - that you should get with the gun - it originally did so - comes with a push-through sizer too. In any case Pedersoli make a very spiffy plunge-sizer unit that works VERY well. You can see Bálasz Németh using it on his Youtube channel capandball - one of the best on youtube. Also Rob over in Canada on britishmuzzleloaders goes through the whole deal of shooting the Enfield with some unmissable advice.

Ans PLEASE don't try to shoot it with round ball, patched or otherwise - it has a ROT of around 1:22 or so, and has to be shot with a long and heavy bullet. Remember too, that these are not really short range arms, and the bullet settles down at around 200 yards or so, right out to 800 - the extreme range at which the standard-sighted versions are shot. Tang sights are really better on the three-band versions, which has a good six inches longer sight radius to take advantage right out to 1200 yards. Loads for your rifle hover between 70 and 90gr of Swiss #2 - far better than Kranks' concoction. It is a deal more expensive, but its cleaner-burning and a lot more efficient. 70gr is a good starting load for short ranges out to about 500 yards only, but you'll have a deal of work cut out for you to make even that short distance with any degree of repeatable accuracy. 90gr is going to sting, especially from prone, but it's a fact of life that long-range BP shooters get used to , or take up stamp-collecting.

BTW, what do YOU call 'silly money'?
    Last edited by tacfoley; 01-11-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Many thanks again, the one I was looking at did have Parker Hale Birmingham stamped on top of the barrel, and had Henry rifling .451 on left hand side of barrel and a five digit serial number, spoke to the guy explained why I wouldn’t be purchasing it and gave him the relevant info to come to the conclusion it was probably a euroarms made gun.

the original one i found a few months ago, kranks had it. Having made a enquiry with them and seeing Parker Hale listed on their web site , the add states in three places manafacrured by Parker Hale £935 or somewhere near that, when I got a reply from them the price went to £1300 , when I questioned the price difference compared to the web site, I was told this one is original Parker Hale. I told him the one one the web site states manafactured by Parker Hale, the bloke told me no they are euroarms replicas so I questioned why they where being advertised as Parker Hale and there was no mention of euroarms on the website , never got a reply . I would have paid the original price but to me it was hiking the price up or not advertising the gun correctly, either way I won’t purchase a Parker Hale from kranks.

Many thanks again, the one I was looking at did have Parker Hale Birmingham stamped on top of the barrel, and had Henry rifling .451 on left hand side of barrel and a five digit serial number, spoke to the guy explained why I wouldn’t be purchasing it and gave him the relevant info to come to the conclusion it was probably a euroarms made gun.

the original one i found a few months ago, kranks had it. Having made a enquiry with them and seeing Parker Hale listed on their web site , the add states in three places manafacrured by Parker Hale £935 or somewhere near that, when I got a reply from them the price went to £1300 , when I questioned the price difference compared to the web site, I was told this one is original Parker Hale. I told him the one one the web site states manafactured by Parker Hale, the bloke told me no they are euroarms replicas so I questioned why they where being advertised as Parker Hale and there was no mention of euroarms on the website , never got a reply . I would have paid the original price but to me it was hiking the price up or not advertising the gun correctly, either way I won’t purchase a Parker Hale from kranks.
    As you can see from my post, which is based on factory figures, and not imagination, a FIVE-figure gun MAY have had a Parker-Hale barrel, especially with the other markings on it as well. THE test is to see the PROOF MARKS of the Birmingham proof house - AND a number below 9000.

There is one such rifle in my local dealers - PM me for details.

Read your email.

.451 Parker hale

I’ve recently taken a Parker hale volunteer in with a 3 digit number and it’s got an adjustable sight maybe even a Parker hale but unsure. They seem to shoot very well & tend to favour Swiss powder I’ve found, I’ll be taking it to the Bisley Phoenix show to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by capper View Post
    I’ve recently taken a Parker hale volunteer in with a 3 digit number and it’s got an adjustable sight maybe even a Parker hale but unsure. They seem to shoot very well & tend to favour Swiss powder I’ve found, I’ll be taking it to the Bisley Phoenix show to sell.
    Thanks for the info, purchased a Birmingham gun on Saturday, good luck with your sale

PH 2 Band.

PH 2 Band .577" Serial Number 5165.

I sold it about 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    PH 2 Band .577" Serial Number 5165.

I sold it about 6 years ago.
    Thank you, Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by capper View Post
    They ALL had an adjustable rear sight, and if it is a three-digit number then it is almost certainly a genuine P-H rifle. Italian production using P-H barrels started at 9000 and ran to 14000 - after that they are entirely Italian-made.

As mentioned in earlier posts, early PH rifles were far superior. The first run up to serial number 1000 had the hammered rifling, the Henry rifles shot a lot better. I have access to both and can attest to their accurate groups. Word to the wise, size your rounds,clean between shots and your groups will be tight. A quick check to tell rifles from the later Italian run was they didn't have case hardened hammers.
    Tie two birds together and though they have 4 wings they cannot fly.......But great for an easy shot
    .20 Daystate Harrier SE
    .22 rimfire a 525 semi auto (for those rats that dont go down)
    .454 Rogers and spencer black powder revolver
    .577 parker hale two band enfield rifle
    .577 parker hale three band enfield rifle
    410 over+under investarm shotgun
    9mm converted 303 lee enfield
    9mm stevens garden gun
    .45 colt walker revolver
    .and a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by crustyq View Post
    As mentioned in earlier posts, early PH rifles were far superior. The first run up to serial number 1000 had the hammered rifling, the Henry rifles shot a lot better. I have access to both and can attest to their accurate groups. Word to the wise, size your rounds,clean between shots and your groups will be tight. A quick check to tell rifles from the later Italian run was they didn't have case hardened hammers.
    The serial numbers are also a good guide, according to David Minshall, competition secretary of the MLAGB, archivist and historian, world and commonwealth champion Enfield shooter and author of many articles on the various Enfield rifles shot between 1853 and the present day.