Thread: A Police Visit

A Police Visit

I had a visit from the police today.

To put things into context I live in a country lane which is a dead end.

Opposite is a field which is about 1/2 mile wide and there is the main part of our village at the end of it.

Dog walkers can walk around the edge of the field and there is a break in the hedge opposite our property where they can step into our lane.

So - the other day I was walking on our property carrying the airgun version of an AK47 - not waving it around or anything - just transporting it. A dog walker saw me (I didn't see them) and called the police so they came around today. I was out - about 15 minutes away.

My wife let them in and made them a cup of tea after calling me to come home.

I got back and they were great. I explained I have a collection of airguns. We discussed a few details - am I aware of the power limits etc, etc - all very friendly. I explained that this has happened before - they apologised and said their database has changed and needs updating - no problem for me.

One of them asked to see my collection - in particular the AK47. We went and had a good look at various items in my collection - he loved the Webley Service Mk2s.

He did look at the AK and we examined the mechanism - even showed him the box it came in. He was impressed by the Colt 1911s and P38 which he said was indistinguishable from the real thing at first sight. He was, of course, satisfied that all of my collection is legal.

He kept apologising saying they have to check these things out. I said I have absolutely no problem whatsoever and can fully understand a casual observer bring worried seeing someone carrying an AK47!

We had a great discussion but what was fantastic is that he handed me his phone and asked me to take a picture of him holding the AK whilst posing with it - a laugh for his mates.

a laugh for his mates ----- until the pic then gets into the hands of the media and is used in some made up crap about AK47's in the hands of the public .

Sounds like you had a decent copper come see you . Not may of them .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    a laugh for his mates ----- until the pic then gets into the hands of the media and is used in some made up crap about AK47's in the hands of the public .

The picture is on his personal phone (I have no copy) so no possible media leak unless it is from him.

IMO the vast majority of police are just decent people - so I was not surprised.

All's well that ends well 👍

To be fair, I think most of them are ok - they have a job to do and, if they can do it pleasantly then, happy days.

All of the above.

We had a cop up here (member of the firearms team) who posted a pic of his son firing a handgun whilst in the States on holiday...………...poor bggr was nearly crucified for it.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

There are loads of them. Every job/industry has its assholes. Its just that asshole coppers have the power to cause you far more difficulties than assholes in other walks of life so they are more visible than the ones that put in years of service, taking abuse evey single day from total scrotes, always having to be careful of enduring a trial by Facebook themselves. Human nature I'm afraid.

Last visit I had was back in 2014,two armed response officers,I hasten to add they were unarmed at the time.

A firearm certificate renewal,both declared they were off duty shooters,a formality.

New certificate through in a week

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    There are loads of them. Every job/industry has its assholes. Its just that asshole coppers have the power to cause you far more difficulties than assholes in other walks of life so they are more visible than the ones that put in years of service, taking abuse evey single day from total scrotes, always having to be careful of enduring a trial by Facebook themselves. Human nature I'm afraid.
    you are correct . Although I have heard a few stories about coppers coming out to a firearm related incident and they did not know the laws themselves.

I had an Incident with an MOD police officer on my permission. He and his colleague were Armed ( they patrol a gas compressor installation) and he hit me with so much untrue crap I had to follow it up with the firearms office in Aberdeen .

He was spouting crap about me not carrying my FAC or even calling the police to say I was on the farm shooting .
    He told me that if he looked me up on the PNC to see if I was legally holding firearms it would affect my renewal (it did not and never would affect it ).

He took a note of my serial number from my rifle (again he was not required to do so). He wanted to count all my ammunition (not required to do so ).

He told me that everything he did ,He was required to do so . The reply I got from the Firearms office was if he was to stop me again I was to call and ask for a armed response unit to come out and deal with it .That would use up a valuable resource in my eyes due to a ill informed or bully MOD policeman .

I carry a copy of the email I received along with a copy of all my licenses and permission slips in my bag .

The guy with him was a rookie so I guess he may be the same as that Diddy unless he then researched the RIGHT way to handle the situation.

I get stopped almost every time I visit the farm but i have never come across any that acted like that diddy .

you are correct . Although I have heard a few stories about coppers coming out to a firearm related incident and they did not know the laws themselves.

I had an Incident with an MOD police officer on my permission. He and his colleague were Armed ( they patrol a gas compressor installation) and he hit me with so much untrue crap I had to follow it up with the firearms office in Aberdeen .

He was spouting crap about me not carrying my FAC or even calling the police to say I was on the farm shooting .
    He told me that if he looked me up on the PNC to see if I was legally holding firearms it would affect my renewal (it did not and never would affect it ).

He took a note of my serial number from my rifle (again he was not required to do so). He wanted to count all my ammunition (not required to do so ).

He told me that everything he did ,He was required to do so . The reply I got from the Firearms office was if he was to stop me again I was to call and ask for a armed response unit to come out and deal with it .That would use up a valuable resource in my eyes due to a ill informed or bully MOD policeman .

I carry a copy of the email I received along with a copy of all my licenses and permission slips in my bag .

The guy with him was a rookie so I guess he may be the same as that Diddy unless he then researched the RIGHT way to handle the situation.

I get stopped almost every time I visit the farm but i have never come across any that acted like that diddy .
    Sounds like he was trying to bluff his way through a 'power trip '. showing off to his Trainee.

Another time .
    Maybe take him to one side , show him the intructions from your FEO and let him decide what to do .
    Gives him the opportunity to leave you alone without saving face . Doubt he would trouble you again .

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Sounds like he was trying to bluff his way through a 'power trip '. showing off to his Trainee.

Another time .
    Maybe take him to one side , show him the intructions from your FEO and let him decide what to do .
    Gives him the opportunity to leave you alone without saving face . Doubt he would trouble you again .
    They HAVE to stop me as it's high risk area for attacks . If it was attacked it would take out most of the area due to it being a main gas line.

I call the gaurdhouse and tell them I'm there and what I'm wearing and what I'm doing . I call and tell them when I leave also.

They only stop me if they see me. Just ask my name and who gave me permission to shoot there. Then it's off they go.

I don't mind it as they are only doing their job. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...ing-vital-gas/

My permission is at the Garlogie site.

I have not met the one that tried the BS since that day and all the others are fine and gave no hassle.

I carry photo copies of my licenses as advised by the firearms office (they said taking the original and possibly losing it is not going to look good on me) and copies of the permission slips.

Never had to show them as the other MOD guys have never asked for them.

I told the guy that tried the BS that he was wrong but he tried it on anyway. He only stopped the crap when I said I was going to get the lowdown off the firearms office.

I found MOD Plod used to have more than it's fair share of divs, as did MOD fire service, plenty used to play the big "I am" when dealing with the younger lads but instantly clamed up when someone with a bit of service was around.
    Not saying they didn't know their job mind.

I've had two idiot neighbours make completely false allegations against me "intimidating" them while out shooting
    The police have absolutely no option but to investigate, but just like the OP I've always found them polite & more than reasonable.
    They're only doing their job so they'll always get polite compliance & invited in for a brew.

Wouldn't he have been in unifrom ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177