I had a visit from the police today.

To put things into context I live in a country lane which is a dead end.

Opposite is a field which is about 1/2 mile wide and there is the main part of our village at the end of it.

Dog walkers can walk around the edge of the field and there is a break in the hedge opposite our property where they can step into our lane.

So - the other day I was walking on our property carrying the airgun version of an AK47 - not waving it around or anything - just transporting it. A dog walker saw me (I didn't see them) and called the police so they came around today. I was out - about 15 minutes away.

My wife let them in and made them a cup of tea after calling me to come home.

I got back and they were great. I explained I have a collection of airguns. We discussed a few details - am I aware of the power limits etc, etc - all very friendly. I explained that this has happened before - they apologised and said their database has changed and needs updating - no problem for me.

One of them asked to see my collection - in particular the AK47. We went and had a good look at various items in my collection - he loved the Webley Service Mk2s.

He did look at the AK and we examined the mechanism - even showed him the box it came in. He was impressed by the Colt 1911s and P38 which he said was indistinguishable from the real thing at first sight. He was, of course, satisfied that all of my collection is legal.

He kept apologising saying they have to check these things out. I said I have absolutely no problem whatsoever and can fully understand a casual observer bring worried seeing someone carrying an AK47!

We had a great discussion but what was fantastic is that he handed me his phone and asked me to take a picture of him holding the AK whilst posing with it - a laugh for his mates.