Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw77 heavy cocking

I had the same thing with mine after fitting a new service kit into a piston I bought off , finally found out after taking it apart again that there was a top hat stuck in there, effectively adding sht loads of preload.
    Stage 1 SFS HW80k with Airmaster Dominator stock and silencer.
    Paul Short stage 2 tuned HW95k with a Luke Jolly trigger.
    Wonky Donkey stage 2 tuned HW99s

Quote Originally Posted by paul8932 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

On closer inspection, it does look like the underlever has been shortened, probably when the venom silencer was fitted.

Internally all is ok, no tight seals, lubed properly, spring kit is a wonky donky one.

So I’d guess that the problem is the shorter underlever

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not unusable and it shoots very well, it’s just a shame that it’s heavy to cock and it spoils it a bit...I wouldn’t want to plink all day with it if you know what I mean...

Would it be worth trying a different spring?, as mentioned before I don’t mind dropping power somewhat.

Paul
    The WonkyDonky kits are excellent so it'll all be down to that stumpy underlever.

So, as you say, you could just put up with that higher cocking effort or be happy to accept a lower power output by shortening the spring slightly. Don't think there'll be a massive scope for shortening, as I seem to remember that Dave's kits don't run lots of preload. Or, maybe, as you say, a softer spring.......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmatty View Post
    I had the same thing with mine after fitting a new service kit into a piston I bought off , finally found out after taking it apart again that there was a top hat stuck in there, effectively adding sht loads of preload.
    I feel your pain there...speaks volumes for doing face to face deals as much as you can, trying before buying etc...

I bought a 77 a few months ago with the biggest spring that would possibly fit in the world, along with a host of other issues
    I never did worry about the little things...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The WonkyDonky kits are excellent so it'll all be down to that stumpy underlever.

So, as you say, you could just put up with that higher cocking effort or be happy to accept a lower power output by shortening the spring slightly. Don't think there'll be a massive scope for shortening, as I seem to remember that Dave's kits don't run lots of preload. Or, maybe, as you say, a softer spring.......
    Thanks Tony,
    Yes Dave’s kits are as good as they get as far as I’m concerned, and no preload is used on this one.
    Any suggestions for a softer spring?, I’m comfortable fitting a service kit but could get out of my depth easily here
    Or should I just get a cocking aid? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by paul8932 View Post
    Thanks Tony,
    Yes Dave’s kits are as good as they get as far as I’m concerned, and no preload is used on this one.
    Any suggestions for a softer spring?, I’m comfortable fitting a service kit but could get out of my depth easily here
    Or should I just get a cocking aid? 🤔
    A cocking aid may help slightly, but maybe not reduce the cocking effort by as much as you want, Paul.

The two guys on here that may be able to help more with a choice of spring would be Jon Budd (shed tuner) and NickG, as they have played with a fair number of thinner wire springs for their reduced bore conversions. Hopefully they'll see this and jump in.

Or, you could get hold of Dave Price (WonkyDonky) and see if he might be able to supply a kit with thinner wire spring and matching guide / top hat. If he hasn't got any weaker / thinner springs, see what John or Nick recommend spring wise and, if you can't turn them up yourself, get Tinbum to do them for you to match the spring. You might also consider a (thicker) piston sleeve if the outside diameter of the spring is smaller.

Hope this helps a little.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    A cocking aid may help slightly, but maybe not reduce the cocking effort by as much as you want, Paul.

The two guys on here that may be able to help more with a choice of spring would be Jon Budd (shed tuner) and NickG, as they have played with a fair number of thinner wire springs for their reduced bore conversions. Hopefully they'll see this and jump in.

Or, you could get hold of Dave Price (WonkyDonky) and see if he might be able to supply a kit with thinner wire spring and matching guide / top hat. If he hasn't got any weaker / thinner springs, see what John or Nick recommend spring wise and, if you can't turn them up yourself, get Tinbum to do them for you to match the spring. You might also consider a (thicker) piston sleeve if the outside diameter of the spring is smaller.

Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks Tony, yes that helps 👍
    I’ll post back when I’ve got something sorted 🙂