Thread: Help Hw80 stock

Help Hw80 stock

Hello there I bought a hw80 that looked like it had been dragged behind a car for a few miles so I have sanded the stock back to bare wood ... Could anyone advice me on some stain to the finish it back to a dark is colour as the stock is two different colours in the wood grain thank you

That's just the nature of wood. The two different colours may be because the blank the stock was made from was part heartwood, part sapwood. Is one part creamy white, and the other a more pink shade?
    I think most people just accept that as part of the natural beauty of wood and use one shade of stain all over, allowing the colour difference to show through the final finish. I'm not sure how easy it would be to try and stain it to a single matching colour, or how successful the result would be?

Having said that, it's your stock so do it the way you fancy, and if it works it's a lesson for all.

I don't mind the two colours in it to be fair .. just stuck for what I should re finish it with

Try Slippery Dicks Fnar Fnar http://www.slipperydicksgunwax.co.uk/shop/

If you stain the wood, the end grains (normally where the cheek piece and pistol grip area are) soaks up more stain and presents a darker colour (if you look at the first photo, you can see the end grains have soaked up more water). You can get around this by sealing the grain with a sealant before applying stain (the stain will still take, but it will be a uniform colour). If you wanted to get the wood back to its' original shade, you can bleach the wood after you've removed all of the old lacquer. Here's an '80 stock I did in walnut finish:
    After lacquer removal and a bleach
    [IMG][/IMG]

Walnut stained and starting to tru oil finish
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    If you stain the wood, the end grains (normally where the cheek piece and pistol grip area are) soaks up more stain and presents a darker colour (if you look at the first photo, you can see the end grains have soaked up more water). You can get around this by sealing the grain with a sealant before applying stain (the stain will still take, but it will be a uniform colour). If you wanted to get the wood back to its' original shade, you can bleach the wood after you've removed all of the old lacquer. Here's an '80 stock I did in walnut finish:
    After lacquer removal and a bleach
    [IMG][/IMG]

Walnut stained and starting to tru oil finish
    [IMG][/IMG]

I do like the look of the finished stock in your pic thanks mate

Capitalbee, did you just put the sealer on the end grain?
    Cheers. the
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Capitalbee, did you just put the sealer on the end grain?
    Cheers. the
    Hi, no I put it on all over. Two coats and then sanded back and checking to see if the pores were filled. This was the first time I'd attempted using sealer as when I'd done beech stocks before they were always patchy around the open grain (darker)

Lovely result CapitalBee. Which sealer please?

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Lovely result CapitalBee. Which sealer please?
    Hi, it was the CCL gunstock grain sealer. It's a shame they don't do smaller bottles as you don't actually use that much for a single stock.

And what brand of stain please CapitalBee? Thanks Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    And what brand of stain please CapitalBee? Thanks Max
    I used a spirit based wood stain, walnut. I usually get it from the 'bay. Search: Light Fast Wood Stain / Wood Dye Intercoat - Any colour & quantity

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I used a spirit based wood stain, walnut. I usually get it from the 'bay. Search: Light Fast Wood Stain / Wood Dye Intercoat - Any colour & quantity
    Thanks, will have a look! 👍
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer