Thread: Let down by Shooting Shows

Let down by Shooting Shows

Is it just me that finds it frustrating that we are shown lots of new products then told, Oh not for sale Ha!

Over a year ago I thought the "new gas ram sig" looked as though it was saying come to me. I notice reports of the Ruger 10/22, Gamo Gen 2 etc etc but can't see that it is possible to buy either in the Uk. It does seem as though most "new" products are already available in the states.

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    Is it just me that finds it frustrating that we are shown lots of new products then told, Oh not for sale Ha!

Over a year ago I thought the "new gas ram sig" looked as though it was saying come to me. I notice reports of the Ruger 10/22, Gamo Gen 2 etc etc but can't see that it is possible to buy either in the Uk. It does seem as though most "new" products are already available in the states.

Rant over
    It’s annoyingly true.

The really big international ones (SHOT, IWA) are basically trade fairs, where makers show their wares to potential distributors. Which is fine. No different from the big car shows displaying next year’s models.

What is annoying is the more local, retail-oriented, shows that also end up teasing ordinary punters with the prototypes or pre-production examples.

Well some items are going to fall foul of UK law, so we just cannot have them, there's a superb 17WSM semi auto in the US but illegal here so we're stuck with the Savage B-mag or stupidly expensive Ruger.

As for prototypes, part of pre-production research is to see how the design is received by both public & trade when shown off, & maybe make small changes if comments warrant it.

Remember in the big picture the UK market is pathetically small, single US gun shops can sell more than the entire UK turn over, so changes just for our market are seldom going to happen.
    Last edited by angrybear; 23-04-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Also when companies use the same designer who has a poor record with his designs or business practices.

Webly with the Paradigm and Sterling with their Gas ram rifle and the others that they show cased a year or two back .

The same designer was involved in them both , Graham Trim . http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ht=graham+trim

I wonder if he Stiffed Sterling and that is why they are no longer around ?
    Last edited by bighit; 23-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.

You are not let down buy the shows. The manufacturers and distributors and resellers decide what they do at what events and what dates product will be produced and released.
    Market size as well as international trading factors and laws of the land... taxation and duties etc will all have their sway. The shows are purely a venue and not the ultimate point of sale.

It is also possible for feedback to be given from hands out side of the point of manufactur and as far as I am concerned ANYTHING that means the MK1 hits the end user with as much R&D as possible is no bad thing. I never rush now to get S/N 000000001 because I don't want to be the open market researcher for the maker with all the ballache that can entail.

Lets face facts... product is pulled thats "good & trusted" in favour of an "upgraded" product usually with huge delays... lots of issues... and a waste of your time and money.

Its a balance. It is far from perfect but the maker needs to get it right with all of the pressures that a manufacturer faces which is another story on its own.

I would rather they kept their mouths shut and launch when it is possible to actually supply the end user with an on the money product bug free.

But the shows are not the issue TBH.
    Last edited by Steyr; 25-04-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    You are not let down buly yhe shows. The manufac5urers and distributors and res3llers decide what they do at what events and what dates product will be produced and released.
    Market siz3 as well as international trading factors and laws of the land... taxataion and duties etc will.all have their sway. The shows are purely a venue and not the ultimate point of sale.

It is also.possi le for feedbqck to be given from hands out side.of the point of manufacturer and as far as I am.conce4ned ANYTHING that means 5he MK1 hits the end us3r with as much R&D as possible is no bad thing. I never 4ush now to get S/N 000000001 because i dont want to be the open market resea4cher for the maker with all the ballache that can entail.

Lets face facts... product is pulled thats good in favour of an upgraded product usually with huge delays... lots of issu3s... and a waste.of your time and money.

Its a balance. It is far from perfect but the maker needs to get it right with all otlf the pressures that a manufacturer faces which is another story of its own.

I would rather they kept their mouths shut and launch when it is possible to actually supply the end user with on the money product bug free.

But the shows a4e not the issue tbh.
    The just 1980's called, asked if someone could turn off the l337 speak converting website.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    The just 1980's called, asked if someone could turn off the l337 speak converting website.
    The poster is dyslexic if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    The poster is dyslexic if I remember right
    Fair enough, but it's not something I've noticed before on a lot of his other posts.

Fair enough, but it's not something I've noticed before on a lot of his other posts.
    This post and another is the most I have seen but he has posted before with spelling errors. Maybe he uses spellcheck if using a computer but not if he replies via a mobile .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    This post and another is the most I have seen but he has posted before with spelling errors. Maybe he uses spellcheck if using a computer but not if he replies via a mobile .
    Fair enough. No offence meant.

I am. I sometimes have time to read posts before i send. Other times I dont. Also 99% of posts are on a mobile with a small keyboard and big digits. I dont use autocorrect as more often than not it uses a word that is clearly not in context.

I wont mention my close vision also varies daily and on a small screen..... its difficult to spot.

Fair enough. No offence meant.
    None taken. Its a curse.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    None taken. Its a curse.
    You manage it very well, I've never noticed it before either.
    Good deals with these members

I am. I sometimes have time to read posts before i send. Other times I dont. Also 99% of posts are on a mobile with a small keyboard and big digits. I dont use autocorrect as more often than not it uses a word that is clearly not in context.

I wont mention my close vision also varies daily and on a small screen..... its difficult to spot.
    With you on that one. I can't see it close up, and if I hold it far away it's too small. Autocorrect is a pain.

I’ll third it dyslexia and bad short sight suck some of the stuff I send out from work baffles the hell out of some people and an American spell check does not help.