Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diana 430L observations

Re the "stout" cocking effort on these guns, I seem to remember it being pointed out on here a few years ago (maybe by Bigtoe?) that this was due to the cocking fulcrum geometry?????
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Re the "stout" cocking effort on these guns, I seem to remember it being pointed out on here a few years ago (maybe by Bigtoe?) that this was due to the cocking fulcrum geometry?????
    I think I recall his views on it as well and he's right. I know very little of physics but I don't think the linkage design of the Dianas offer the best mechanical advantage possible. And if you then carbine it in .177 for example this makes for a bit of a bullworker apparatus.
    But if you are not man enough for a Diana just step away is the answer
    But perseverance brings its rewards....
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Another quick read through this thread reminded me that I have the Diana 440TH in the rack upstairs. This would appear to be a truncated version of the Diana 470TH- which I also have.
    I haven't really checked or taken that much notice but I'm guessing that these actions are based around the 460 Mag actions? The 470 I have here is a 7j import from SWS and is typically very throttled back, whilst the 440 was bought off here and is UK spec in .177 and is again wouldn't win a one finger cocking competition any day of the week and is very snappy but accurate in its manners.
    I haven't checked but I'm now wondering if the 470 is based on the 460 Mag whereas the 440 could simply be a 430 with muzzle weight and thumbhole stock?
    I know one thing for sure, Diana missed a trick by not bluing the actions on the TH range- I'm no fan of the coating they put on them and think they would be far more handsome with traditional bluing.
    Question to you Steve. Is the 440TH a model commonly available over in the states? It appears to have been dropped from the range over here despite in my mind being better balanced than the 470TH?
    Dave
    Just to clarify the 460/470th/98 have the same action and the 430/430L/430 stutzen and 440th have the same action

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Just to clarify the 460/470th/98 have the same action and the 430/430L/430 stutzen and 440th have the same action
    I guessed you would know the answer on that one Barry
    I do wonder if the 430 is in effect a fixed barrel version of the D280?
    Almost in a similar way to the D45 and D50T01 having the same power plant and the 50 almost being the fixed barrel version of the 45?
    Possibly a little bit of history repeating with the difference of course is that we now have more efficient loading arrangements on the fixed barrel version.
    Though the 430 can still be had from some outlets here it's another gun that doesn't seem to have fulfilled it's sales potential and could be another collectable gun of the future. Particularly in Stutzen guise perhaps.
    Dave

I guessed you would know the answer on that one Barry
    I do wonder if the 430 is in effect a fixed barrel version of the D280?
    Almost in a similar way to the D45 and D50T01 having the same power plant and the 50 almost being the fixed barrel version of the 45?
    Possibly a little bit of history repeating with the difference of course is that we now have more efficient loading arrangements on the fixed barrel version.
    Though the 430 can still be had from some outlets here it's another gun that doesn't seem to have fulfilled it's sales potential and could be another collectable gun of the future. Particularly in Stutzen guise perhaps.
    Dave
    Morning, Dave. The 430 and 280 don't have much in common apart from the fact they are both designed to operate at the 12fpe limit or thereabouts. They don't share the same powerplant, though, as far as pistons go anyway.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Morning, Dave. The 430 and 280 don't have much in common apart from the fact they are both designed to operate at the 12fpe limit or thereabouts. They don't share the same powerplant, though, as far as pistons go anyway.
    Just to add the 430 has the same piston as the 52 and 460.

Good knowledge coming out here on these guns. I've been enlightened that the 280/430 are not in any way related and now that the 430 shares it's piston with the 460 and 52 models. That's surprising since I would have thought that the other two are Magnum type springers whereas the 430 (it would seem) is only really designed for moderate European power levels?
    I've often wondered why Diana didn't consider a range of smaller tube/piston guns such as the HW 30/26 mm tubes in order that they(Diana) can produce sweeter guns at the lower power levels in the same manner as HW do with their 95/99 series guns.
    I guess cost is the main reason by trying to keep these low by not varying material sizes/specs? There can also be a lot of commonality of parts this way also.....
    Dave

Good knowledge coming out here on these guns. I've been enlightened that the 280/430 are not in any way related and now that the 430 shares it's piston with the 460 and 52 models. That's surprising since I would have thought that the other two are Magnum type springers whereas the 430 (it would seem) is only really designed for moderate European power levels?
    I've often wondered why Diana didn't consider a range of smaller tube/piston guns such as the HW 30/26 mm tubes in order that they(Diana) can produce sweeter guns at the lower power levels in the same manner as HW do with their 95/99 series guns.
    I guess cost is the main reason by trying to keep these low by not varying material sizes/specs? There can also be a lot of commonality of parts this way also.....
    Dave
    Yes, costs and commonality of parts, namely pistons. Re. 25mm Dianas: the Model 27 ran 25mm dia. tubes, as did the early 24/26/28 series. The 24 etc then switched to the common 28mm Diana format. I would also say that even the 25mm 24's were not ideally configured as they ran an unnecessarily heavy piston it's their small format and very short stroke. I think piston weight is key rather than the diameter of it. I would consider the 27 probably the best with regarding stroke/ piston weight/ spring rating. Yet a good, standard 24 is in no way disgraced when shot back to back with a 27 in my opinion. I really need to get to grips with an early 26 or 28 some day.
    Sorry for slight tangent.