Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which calibre do you use for hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which calibre do you use for hunting

This is not a calibre debate...I’m just interested to see which calibre you use for hunting

I have used .177 .25 also the humble .22 they all did the job but personally I have found that .22 suits my needs better I found that the .177 could cause more passing threw quarry casing one or two runners which needed a follow up shot also needed more accuracy to hit a vital spot the .25 has great stopping power but a fair amount more drop off when opening up the ranges so I now stick to the .22 as I say it suits my needs better and gives more error forgiveness at sub 12ft lbs

Depends on the situation, I use both .22 and .177
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

^^^^^^ as above ^^^^^^^^

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Master Debater

I use both .20 cal and .177

HI, It does Depend on the situation, I use both .20 cal and .177 regal , I do find you get the best with a 20 call ,but just bought a new daystate 22 cal for a change and put my 20 cal air ranger up for sale , i realy think i will regret this but .atb bob.

.177 covers everything for me

Quote Originally Posted by fife View Post
    HI, It does Depend on the situation, I use both .20 cal and .177 regal , I do find you get the best with a 20 call ,but just bought a new daystate 22 cal for a change and put my 20 cal air ranger up for sale , i realy think i will regret this but .atb bob.
    I don't really know why .20 gets little air time as its a great calibre not so much work as a 22 with regard to ranging with better stopping power than 1.77. I regret selling my .20 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    This is not a calibre debate...I’m just interested to see which calibre you use for hunting
    I use both depending on what I’m shooting and where. But at the moment I and many others are marking time after the man who should new be named trashed everything

.177 for 12ft/lbs rifles, have done for many years. Its shot placement that counts and here the .177 due to velocity has the advantage.
    The exception might be rats which can be shot at the closer ranges. The larger, heavier, pellet would be superior if only it could be delivered with more energy and precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    .177 for 12ft/lbs rifles, have done for many years. Its shot placement that counts and here the .177 due to velocity has the advantage.
    The exception might be rats which can be shot at the closer ranges. The larger, heavier, pellet would be superior if only it could be delivered with more energy and precision.
    shot loads of rats with 177 jsb 8.44 grain pellets head shot kills them every time from 5 yards to 50 yards

Started with .22 many years ago, moved to .177 and never went back. I use different .177 pellets to suit my need i.e. heavy, light, flat heads etc.

.22 for rabbits. .177 for rats. but it changes when i pick the rifles up. mostly .22. mostly i decide which rifle to pick up on the day. .177 will do the same job as .22 as long as it is flat head. but i don't like flat heads or them there pointy heads and them with a dent in. hollow pointy things?
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

If I were to have one gun for everything it would be .177. However if you wanted something dedicated for close range, say up to 25 yards I personally would use a .25. A .22 I find no use for- however flying out at 900fps they make a very good fac rifle.
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

Air rifle hunting at at sub 12fpe and the short distances involved requires accuracy. This comes a bit easier with a flatter trajectory which is what .177 gives you over .22 so it's the obvious choice.

The same principle applies to air rifle hunting at FAC power but where a .22 gives you the same flat trajectory as a .177 (in sub 12fpe), so that's what I've always used.

Most members on here appear to feel the same ...
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.