Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which calibre do you use for hunting

Which calibre do you use for hunting

This is not a calibre debate...I’m just interested to see which calibre you use for hunting

I have used .177 .25 also the humble .22 they all did the job but personally I have found that .22 suits my needs better I found that the .177 could cause more passing threw quarry casing one or two runners which needed a follow up shot also needed more accuracy to hit a vital spot the .25 has great stopping power but a fair amount more drop off when opening up the ranges so I now stick to the .22 as I say it suits my needs better and gives more error forgiveness at sub 12ft lbs

Depends on the situation, I use both .22 and .177
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

^^^^^^ as above ^^^^^^^^

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Master Debater

I use both .20 cal and .177

HI, It does Depend on the situation, I use both .20 cal and .177 regal , I do find you get the best with a 20 call ,but just bought a new daystate 22 cal for a change and put my 20 cal air ranger up for sale , i realy think i will regret this but .atb bob.

.177 covers everything for me

177 simply the best been using it over 40 year now tried 22 last year rubbish compared to 177 imho

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I favour .22 when FAC hunting out to 50 yards (beyond that I would not take the shot unless carrying my rim-fire: personal choice based on 40 years of experience before the lectures start), but I prefer .177 if hunting sub 12 ft.lb and/or only shooting out to 40 yards (my max safe sub 12 ft.lb hunting distance). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

.177 for me tried stacks .22 rifles,just prefer .177

I swapped over from .22 to .20 18 months ago for sub 12 ft lbs and for me personally it is the ideal calibre for fur and feather to 40 yds. Would not choose to hunt beyond that distance irrespective of calibre at sub 12 ft lbs. Some will say .20 is a compromise but I feel it gives the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    This is not a calibre debate...I’m just interested to see which calibre you use for hunting
    I use both depending on what I’m shooting and where. But at the moment I and many others are marking time after the man who should new be named trashed everything

.177 for 12ft/lbs rifles, have done for many years. Its shot placement that counts and here the .177 due to velocity has the advantage.
    The exception might be rats which can be shot at the closer ranges. The larger, heavier, pellet would be superior if only it could be delivered with more energy and precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    .177 for 12ft/lbs rifles, have done for many years. Its shot placement that counts and here the .177 due to velocity has the advantage.
    The exception might be rats which can be shot at the closer ranges. The larger, heavier, pellet would be superior if only it could be delivered with more energy and precision.
    shot loads of rats with 177 jsb 8.44 grain pellets head shot kills them every time from 5 yards to 50 yards

Started with .22 many years ago, moved to .177 and never went back. I use different .177 pellets to suit my need i.e. heavy, light, flat heads etc.