Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Packham gets General License revoked!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Grab some true blue above
    Anti blu more like!
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    wyer every time they go shooting. We used to have that, with a good dollop of personal responsibility. Its should be possible that anyone can do a bit of pest control even in their back garden. Is MR Allotment Man not responsible enough...not blue blooded enough?
    Last edited by Muskett; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
    Registered User. 223A1 is right, we had a perfectly good method and then the EU came along and forced through a bird lovers protection charter. That policy might be important elsewhere in Europe as many places have shot out, netted, eaten, much of their birdlife, but that doesn't match the UK where pest numbers are excessive. The UK authorities knew this and tried to fudge it, which failed.

Our older system, well understood, needs reinstating as soon as possible before too much damage is done. For the authorities its how to write it up whilst incorporating EU legislation, EU legislation that is incompatible.

DEFRA had no intent to change anything and so ignored what had been written up in law for it was ridiculous. Now that has been tested and the law as written isn't fit for purpose, but its still the law. It will have to be altered to better reflect the UK's situation and practices done.

The difference in damage by different pest species is multiple millions £££'s.

RobF and bighit seem to not have a problem with the EU's approach to birds. The problem I have is with people thinking that the general license allows them to break the law and then use it to fall back on when caught out . it does not allow people to shoot them in the garden as they are covering their decking in poop or their cars ,annoying them as the coo too loudly in the their garden Maybe they are bird lovers? I may be ,I may not be What get me is they provide no practical alternative, I have provided alternatives and you have dismissed them continuously despite admitting you have used one of them in the past. Mr Allotment or mr garden fruit grower can net his produce to stop them eating his produce but you dismiss that every time I mention it nor any real argument against what has been for many years the established methods. I have told you the berry grower near me nets all his fruit rows if it works for him that proves it can work for others An establish combination of methods that includes a large amount of culling by shooting which seems to hit the right balance. In places where other methods may not be practical true For what has been practiced for a long time gives lambs some protection, crops too. Heck, even the little song birds that survive get some from increasing predator numbers.
    Often forgotten is the conservation work and thought that is done by the shooters to the benefit of all wildlife. Because most give value to the countryside, to wildlife, and consider themselves custodians. Without interest then wildlife would have no value. luckily for shooting sports to continue and for the next generation to enjoy it too, shooters invest in the future. If you want it to continue then you should be making sure others follow the laws to the letter of the General licenses ,not interpreting it so it suits their own needs which are often unlawful
    KFC urban conservationists invest nothing and their commitment goes only as far as ringing the Council if they find a rat in their house. Which is part of the remit when you rent a house from a landlord be it council or private let then you call the landlord to deal with it . do you think everyone in the UK owns a firearm to control pest ? not everyone owns their own home in the uk or pigeon shit on their balcony. Of course the Countryside runs itself and nature should be left to it all

RobF, bighit, what resources have you spent in the countryside, I have told you I have an FAC and I do pest control and i do it in line with the laws that allow me to do so. what conservation work have you actually done? As I said previously I'm hoping loads. I understand the law bit is a mess, but can't understand your point. AS i keep telling you and you fail to get it through your head .
    Isn't it sensible to keep Magpie numbers to a sensible level, and does it matter who does that? Its not going to do it by itself
    Do you think with all the outrage recently with developers netting hedgerows meaning birds get trapped that netting is the answer? Non GL licence birds can and do get trapped, shooting the avian pest species on the GLs poses no threat to the non GL licence birds.

I see why you guys like to add your bits in red and blue when quoting others, makes it very hard to quote
    Last edited by 223AI; 16-05-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Absolutely, I think I have been very open throughout this whole thread that I would be very happy for the bulk of the birds on the GLs to have their protected status removed to make life simpler for everyone and reduction in their numbers more effective.
    Yes. I don't think that's in debate.

What you seem to be struggling with is that's not allowed in law. It wasn't before, it's not now either. And because there was a perception of ambiguity before the law has changed now so there definitely isn't. Simpler may have been possible before but it wasn't lawful. Doesn't matter how the law was arrived at, it and it hasn't actually changed, all that's happened is someone has quite simply pointed out that it wasn't being implemented correctly before which has been effectively shown to be correct by that not being defended.

It doesn't matter what you want to do, what you think is right, it's what is lawful. That really is the end of it.

Do you think with all the outrage recently with developers netting hedgerows meaning birds get trapped that netting is the answer? Non GL licence birds can and do get trapped, shooting the avian pest species on the GLs poses no threat to the non GL licence birds.
    The netting debate isn't about birds getting trapped.

It's about preventing birds nesting. That's why it's done, so that then the trees can be removed without disturbing nests because that would then be against the law.

It does pose a threat to other birds because if a species is removed from an area another can take up the void and this can have more of an effect on the other species in the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

What you seem to be struggling with is that's not allowed in law. It wasn't before, it's not now either. And because there was a perception of ambiguity before the law has changed now so there definitely isn't. Simpler may have been possible before but it wasn't lawful. Doesn't matter how the law was arrived at, it and it hasn't actually changed, all that's happened is someone has quite simply pointed out that it wasn't being implemented correctly before which has been effectively shown to be correct by that not being defended.

It doesn't matter what you want to do, what you think is right, it's what is lawful. That really is the end of it.
    Wrong, the law can be changed if enough people think the change is the right thing to do!

And the law hasn’t changed just the wording on the GLs

Or am I not allowed an opinion that the law is wrong?
    Last edited by 223AI; 16-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Thanks for looking

The netting debate isn't about birds getting trapped.

It's about preventing birds nesting. That's why it's done, so that then the trees can be removed without disturbing nests because that would then be against the law.

It does pose a threat to other birds because if a species is removed from an area another can take up the void and this can have more of an effect on the other species in the environment.
    Half the issue was actually nets not being secured and birds and mammals becoming trapped, as for what the netting is done for, 16 years in construction gives me a fairly decent understanding.

As for another species taking filling a void, highly unlikely that a local population of any one of the Gl species would be reduced enough for that to happen, but you know that already
    Thanks for looking

I see why you guys like to add your bits in red and blue when quoting others, makes it very hard to quote
    Not a problem for me . What other colour do you want me to use that suits your vision ?

Not a problem for me . What other colour do you want me to use that suits your vision ?
    Post 573 your red bits don’t show when quoted

Any way, I’ve just noted your Scottish so what has this particularly English problem got to do with you in the first place? All your GLs are still in place!
    Thanks for looking

[B]Half the issue was actually nets not being secured and birds and mammals becoming trapped, as for what the netting is done for, 16 years in construction gives me a fairly decent understanding.
    As for another species taking filling a void, highly unlikely that a local population of any one of the Gl species would be reduced enough for that to happen, but you know that already

There's your answer in bold and copy and pasted here in black

nets not being secured and birds and mammals becoming trapped. your saying that it was caused by it not being secured ? whos fault is that ? Not the a failing due to the net ,A failing due to it not being used correctly

As for ‘struggling with is that it’s not allowed in law’ I’m not struggling with anything, I understand how the previous GLs. Worked and how the current GLs work, it doesn’t mean I think they are the right solution to the problem or that I operate outside of them!
    Thanks for looking

We understand what the laws says. And what it says doesn't reflect what DEFRA intended it to, though they helped write it up to appease their masters. They didn't police it because they knew it was not fit for purpose. So sure everyone ignored it because it was baloney. And thats the issue.

If its going to be corrected then it had better reflect what actually is practiced and practical.

It maybe illegal to shoot a wood pigeon for pooping on your car but that doesn't make the pigeon not an agricultural pest that can be shot. That wood pigeon have adapted to roost in urban areas doesn't mean they don't eat their fill in rural areas. Where they can be controlled so long as safe shouldn't matter. Its the law writers who can't write up the practical that works. Even DEFRA knows that, we all do. Best they sort it.

As for ‘struggling with is that it’s not allowed in law’ I’m not struggling with anything, I understand how the previous GLs. Worked and how the current GLs work, it doesn’t mean I think they are the right solution to the problem or that I operate outside of them!
    ^This.

Post 573 your red bits don’t show when quoted Your the first that has said this so the issue is possibly on your end

Any way, I’ve just noted your Scottish so what has this particularly English problem got to do with you in the first place? All your GLs are still in place!
    Because I'm scottish I don't have an opinion on whats going on in England . For all you know I could be living in England and not changed my location in my profile like many have also not done on here

There's your answer in bold and copy and pasted here in black

nets not being secured and birds and mammals becoming trapped. your saying that it was caused by it not being secured ? whos fault is that ? Not the a failing due to the net ,A failing due to it not being used correctly
    Or due to them being vandalised of which I know of one case that I have personally seen!
    Last edited by 223AI; 16-05-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Thanks for looking

KFC urban conservationists invest nothing and their commitment goes only as far as ringing the Council if they find a rat in their house. Which is part of the remit when you rent a house from a landlord be it council or private let then you call the landlord to deal with it . do you think everyone in the UK owns a firearm to control pest ?

For rats they use poison.