Thread: Lightening XL Tac Superstar Trigger Conversation.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightening XL Tac Superstar Trigger Conversation.

With a Lightening on its way to me, I was wondering how easy the above conversion is. Chambers are out of stock of the blade and sear but I think the XL Tac is a pseudo two stage trigger anyway so does anyone know the difference between the Superstar Trigger and the XL Tac?
    Thanks Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Anyone??
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    With a Lightening on its way to me, I was wondering how easy the above conversion is. Chambers are out of stock of the blade and sear but I think the XL Tac is a pseudo two stage trigger anyway so does anyone know the difference between the Superstar Trigger and the XL Tac?
    Thanks Max
    I don't quite grasp what it is you intend but I can say the trigger blades are interchangeable; I find the Superstar's wide, flat, sharp edged blade uncomfortable, so I replaced mine with a Lightning / Supersport rounded off blade from Knibbs - major improvement in trigger feel.

Both guns' triggers are pseudo 2-stage but I vaguely recall slight differences in mechanisms re: sears and springs.

I haven't seen the later Lightning triggers close up, so not sure how much it differs.

But, if it helps, I have an early Supersport which I acquired last year. Unknown history and has been customised somewhat by at least one of its previous custodians.

One of the modifications it carries is what I believe to be a copy of a Superstar trigger blade. When you look at a Superstar schematic there should be a small spring that locates in the rear of the blade to give, at a guess, a sprung first stage. The spring is missing in this one giving a "dead" sensation. All other trigger parts are standard Supersport. The release itself is crisp and creep free and quite a usable trigger.

Maybe just get a Superstar (and is the Goldstar the same?) blade and go from there?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the replies chaps. On the Chambers schematic it shows different trigger struts on the lightening and Superstar, TR034 (Superstar) v the TR032 on the lightening. This could just be the difference between pseudo two stage v single stage though. Apart from the blade this is the main difference I can see. If I can make the lightening Tac trigger as good as I had the one on my Superstar I'll be a happy bunny ☺️
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

From memory...

The early lightnings and supersports have a one stage trigger which was upgraded to the pseudo 2 stage version on the lightning xl.

In theory the pseudo 2 stage trigger from the superstar could be retrofitted to both the early lightnings and supersports (same gun bar the silencer /sights /barrel length).

Theory only from a very old article I read once and as a bsa collector I currently have two superstars and find the trigger very good and an old lightning which I can't decide whether to keep as is, install the superstar trigger if I can get one, or sell and get an xl.. Before I start doing sfs tunes and custom stocks on them to match my superstars....Hth.
    Stu
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by scgevans View Post
    From memory...

The early lightnings and supersports have a one stage trigger which was upgraded to the pseudo 2 stage version on the lightning xl.

In theory the pseudo 2 stage trigger from the superstar could be retrofitted to both the early lightnings and supersports (same gun bar the silencer /sights /barrel length).

Theory only from a very old article I read once and as a bsa collector I currently have two superstars and find the trigger very good and an old lightning which I can't decide whether to keep as is, install the superstar trigger if I can get one, or sell and get an xl.. Before I start doing sfs tunes and custom stocks on them to match my superstars....Hth.
    Stu
    Thanks SGC. Getting a Superstar sear etc may not be so easy but I'm I intrigued to find out the difference between the xl trigger and the superstar. Pete "look no hands " on here has fiddled with these I think. He must be on hols at the moment I guess. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer