Thread: Chinese 'FACOG'

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Chinese 'FACOG'

When I was shopping on ali express for the cheap chronos discussed here, I saw a lot of cheap red dot sights and accessories and being that I obviously hate money and need to get it away from me as quickly as possible, thought I'd give a few of them a whirl...

One in particular caught my eye, a copy of the famous Trijicon ACOG 4x32 telescopic sight. There were a few variants, some more faithful copies than others. The one I bought had the fibreoptic on top, and a backup red dot sight.
    Now don't shed a tear for Trijicon, because barring a considerable lottery win I will never buy what (in the civilian world) amounts to a $1000-plus ratting scope. For $100 delivered though, with an extra red dot sight (which came with its own picatinny mount) I thought it was worth a crack.

I received the scope this morning, and have to say I'm really quite impressed with it - the fibreoptic actually works - unlike some other copies which are just standard illuminated reticles - and the glass is clear. The reticle itself is very fine and crisp.
    No tritium in it sadly, but I hardly expected that...
    The back-up red dot sight seems to function well enough and it was no drama to remove it from the scope (along with the backup-backup iron sights LOL) and fit it to its picatinny mount.

Now this probably isn't grenade resistant, waterproof to 50 meters, or field tested in Afghanistan, nor does it come with a lifetime guarantee, but I feel like I've got my moneys worth tbh. I think it's going to look the business on my AR-style 2250.
    Trouble may come into paradise when I come to actually zero these sights, so I'll keep you guys posted as far as that goes.
    Good deals with these members

this one did well on a SHOTGUN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUj2BiacsD0

Oh an AR 2250 I'm gagging to get back and begin my 2250 it will however be a parkerised shroud and tube (if an when I can find bloody parking data sheet!) with an ally reciever and an mfr styled stock seeming I can't justify the expense of an actual mfr. Any pics of your progress?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    this one did well on a SHOTGUN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUj2BiacsD0
    Very similar to mine in terms of build - confidence inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by david1123 View Post
    Oh an AR 2250 I'm gagging to get back and begin my 2250 it will however be a parkerised shroud and tube (if an when I can find bloody parking data sheet!) with an ally reciever and an mfr styled stock seeming I can't justify the expense of an actual mfr. Any pics of your progress?

David.
    Well sadly it looks like for various reasons the ACOG is not going to work on my 2250. I suspected this might be the case, but the magazine protrudes right where it needs to go, and using a riser makes it too high and/or the wrong eye relief. Ah well.

I've been having a play though and it does look quite natty on my 95k, certainly cooler looking than the 3-9x40 Hawke I had on there. The reticle would probably suit .177 better than .22 also.

I'm waiting until my last (ha!) two crosman projects are done, and then I might post a big show and tell thread with all of them. The AR2250 is pretty much done now (the ACOG would have just been the icing on the cake). The .177 2240 target pistol is done, the stubby 2240 that takes 8g cartridges is done - all that's left is to make some kind of hamster for my bell target .177 2250, and get a multishot breech for the folding stock 2240 micro carbine (trigger frame for that will be arriving tomorrow).

The trouble is when it's all done I will have a breech, two trigger frames and a ton of bits and pieces left over.
    Question is do I just buy a gas tube, get that .25 barrel I've been saving machined up to fit, and build a pure can smasher for shits and giggles...?

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Very similar to mine in terms of build - confidence inspiring!

Well sadly it looks like for various reasons the ACOG is not going to work on my 2250. I suspected this might be the case, but the magazine protrudes right where it needs to go, and using a riser makes it too high and/or the wrong eye relief. Ah well.

I've been having a play though and it does look quite natty on my 95k, certainly cooler looking than the 3-9x40 Hawke I had on there. The reticle would probably suit .177 better than .22 also.

I'm waiting until my last (ha!) two crosman projects are done, and then I might post a big show and tell thread with all of them. The AR2250 is pretty much done now (the ACOG would have just been the icing on the cake). The .177 2240 target pistol is done, the stubby 2240 that takes 8g cartridges is done - all that's left is to make some kind of hamster for my bell target .177 2250, and get a multishot breech for the folding stock 2240 micro carbine (trigger frame for that will be arriving tomorrow).

The trouble is when it's all done I will have a breech, two trigger frames and a ton of bits and pieces left over.
    Question is do I just buy a gas tube, get that .25 barrel I've been saving machined up to fit, and build a pure can smasher for shits and giggles...?
    could you fit Pro blocks like the 2250 with the plastic receiver uses to mount it ? or would it be too far forward? guessing they only come in 11mm rail too though .
    Last edited by bighit; 24-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    could you fit Pro blocks like the 2250 with the plastic receiver uses to mount it ? or would it be too far forward? guessing they only come in 11mm rail too though .
    It's already quite high with the built in mount, any riser is a no-no really.

Caveat emptor

Eyebull,

Glad yours worked out.

A note of caution. I bought a really cheap one (£25?) a few years ago on a whim.

It had no illumination, passive or active.

It had a crude pseudo-mildot reticle.

It had almost zero eye relief. I wear specs, and to get a proper sight picture, my specs had to be actually touching the eyepiece.

So, to others, be really careful what you are buying. Some of the FACOGs, FEOTECHS, FAIMPOINTS (etc, I spot a trend coming) are OK for casual air gun use. Others are just, frankly, utter rubbish suited - at best - for airsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Eyebull,

Glad yours worked out.

A note of caution. I bought a really cheap one (£25?) a few years ago on a whim.

It had no illumination, passive or active.

It had a crude pseudo-mildot reticle.

It had almost zero eye relief. I wear specs, and to get a proper sight picture, my specs had to be actually touching the eyepiece.

So, to others, be really careful what you are buying. Some of the FACOGs, FEOTECHS, FAIMPOINTS (etc, I spot a trend coming) are OK for casual air gun use. Others are just, frankly, utter rubbish suited - at best - for airsoft.
    There were some on ali express for about that price, but realistically even the Chinese can't make a decent magnifying optic to retail for less than £25. Even at this lower level, you do get what you pay for.
    I have two very nice red dot sights, an aimpoint and docter clone, from memory they were about £50 each. I've seen and used a real Docter and I could barely tell the difference. The £20 copies on the other hand are utter rubbish, barely even fit for airsoft.

Someone at some point is going to pipe up and say that if I'd bought a genuine one I'd only have to buy once, but my counter to that is that I own about 40 or so airguns, and like buggery am I going to have a £500+ sight on all of them. If I had that kind of money I'd just buy more guns