Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA spitfire enquiry

BSA spitfire enquiry

Does anyone know whether there are any compatible (or easily fettled) stock options to replace / upgrade the relatively bland stock that came with the BSA Spitfire SF? I think it’s a fabulous gun, and a better stock would only enhance.

I had heard that GINB had made stocks for the Spitfire back in the day. Custom stocks of Sheffield have no inletting patterns for this model and I’m sure a while back I saw an Axsor stock advertised as being compatible but can find no reference. Stock inletting is not my forte. But if there is anyone who knows of something that’s suitable or an easy fix, then I’d be most grateful.

Thanks.
    https://www.walnut.black

Hi, I agree, "Spitties" are great! Another ingenious JB design.
    I have looked for custom stock options as well.
    As with many other custom things that I have tried, I ended up concluding that the original stock is the best option (for various reasons, but mostly originality and simplicity).
    Stalker Rifles has made a custom Spitfire stock. See photo from the John Bowkett fanpage on Facebook.
    I made a stock for my Firebird (90% the same gun) about a year ago. It was a hell of a job. Quite complicated inletting to put it mildly.
    Didn't turn out too well imo. It was comfortable, but "comsetically unappealing".
    I found it especially challenging to get the front stock screw right, at exactly the correct angle and place.
    No custom stock people wanted to help me. Maybe the man in Poland? I did not ask him. He will probably be very helpful.
    I've also heard that the Theoben Fenman stock can be made to fit the Spitfire action.
    Theoben Eliminator for Firebird (the Firebird action is a big longer).
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Thanks all

Thanks so much. great info. Is the top image the stalker custom stock?
    The pistol grip is reminiscent of my stalker Tiger 10 LE
    It's a little cracker! probably rarer than hens teeth.
    But something like that in a nice walnut would be a dream.

Really appreciate the info.

You're welcome.
    Yes the top one is the Stalker Spitfire.
    Very rare indeed.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    You're welcome.
    Yes the top one is the Stalker Spitfire.
    Very rare indeed.
    Cheers
    Spoke to John Bowkett today who explained the whole story. Apparently John Created a jig for Adrian Hartley who in turn commissioned custom stocks of Sheffield to make a limited number of these stocks. Chances of finding one are slim to none.

Self fulfilling prophecy #1
    The world needs more stockmakers - fact. In general (and increasingly) the airgun world is used to paying pennies for stocks - fact. Therefore there will never be a profitable and lasting industry for stock makers (and related craftsmen). The world will therefore continue to need more stock-makers!!!!

prefer the look of your firebird stock to the stalker Louis
    need to get a stock and barrel for my spare spitfire action along with sorting .177 .20 and .25 for the firebird

Here is an image of the Spitfire inletting does this inspire anyone to suggest a stock that might be easily altered as a more refined replacement?

https://imgur.com/gallery/zQehbbP

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    Here is an image of the Spitfire inletting does this inspire anyone to suggest a stock that might be easily altered as a more refined replacement?

https://imgur.com/gallery/zQehbbP
    Geoff, I’ve sent you a PM mate
    Best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

You’re a gent!

May we know what's going on behind closed curtains?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'm sure that the action of the Spitty is the same as the Supersport but with the fill port in the bottom, so I'd say you'd have a good chance of a Supersport or Lightning stock fitting, even the newer versions will probably fit without much altering and a hole drilled in the bottom for the port, Custom Stocks of Sheffield did make stocks for the Supersport and Superstar they just can't be bothered making them anymore.

I did try fitting a Lightning action into a Superstar stock many years ago but it needed a lot of fettling and I think I had trouble with the front stock screw holes matching up, I can't remember if I managed to get the rifle to cock once fitted but I do remember it looked a lot like a Theoben Fenman and handled lovely.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I agree that a supersport or lightening stock will fit, with a bit of additional inletting for the fill valve. I’ve been looking into additional stocks for my spitties - maybe even the black tacticool lightening stock
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

I really don't think a Lightning or Supersport stock will fit.
    The Spitfire action is much longer.
    Cheers

Yes, GINB did them for Spitfire and Firebird iirc. Somewhere in the UK these are lurking. It was (banned) member AirArmsDavid who sent stocks off to GINB for them to copy. Stopped doing stocks a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I really don't think a Lightning or Supersport stock will fit.
    The Spitfire action is much longer.
    Cheers
    You are correct sir. I’ve been playing with my supersports this week and offered one of the stocks up to the spitfire and it’s to short. Mi’bad
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'