Thread: Beeman P17

Beeman P17

This may seem to be a strange question, but has anyone tried to reduce the power of a Beeman P17 or similar precharged pistol ? My wrists aren't as good as they were (Arthur Ittus) and the last bit of the compression stroke is hard work and painful. I thought about drilling an extra pivot hole in the piston shaft, slightly nearer to the piston head. This should increase the volume and reduce the pressure of compressed air in the valve system. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by webman; 28-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Power down

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    This may seem to be a strange question, but has anyone tried to reduce the power of a Beeman P17 or similar precharged pistol ? My wrists aren't as good as they were (Arthur Ittus) and the last bit of the compression stroke is hard work and painful. I thought about drilling an extra pivot hole in the piston shaft, slightly nearer to the piston head. This should increase the volume and reduce the pressure of compressed air in the valve system. Any thoughts on this?
    Maybe a HW 45......The action is in the other direction and it has two powers. Don't know about that P17 Idea. Maybe try your thought and see....Those things are stupid cheap....So if you wreck it ......

Hw 45

I have an HW45 and 75. The 45 even on full power is easier to cock. I agree a 45 on the half power setting is probably a good option
    HW77K HW99S HW30 HW45

Beeman P17

I decided not to try moving the piston pivot hole. Instead I drilled a 2mm hole in the top of the cylinder, 4.5cm from the front end and carefully smoothed out the inside of the hole. The piston then only compresses air after it passes this hole. The cocking stroke is now much easier and the power doesn't seem to be much less. Accuracy is the same, and the pistol still knocks over cans at 12 metres. If I want to go back to the full power setting, all I need to do is cover the 2mm hole with some self-adhesive aluminium tape.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

An interesting and good way of solving your problem. Thanks for sharing.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I decided not to try moving the piston pivot hole. Instead I drilled a 2mm hole in the top of the cylinder, 4.5cm from the front end and carefully smoothed out the inside of the hole. The piston then only compresses air after it passes this hole. The cocking stroke is now much easier and the power doesn't seem to be much less. Accuracy is the same, and the pistol still knocks over cans at 12 metres. If I want to go back to the full power setting, all I need to do is cover the 2mm hole with some self-adhesive aluminium tape.
    Sorry; I hadn't seen the thread earlier.

Looking at the earlier posts this was what I was going to suggest (but never tried it).

Sounds like an excellent and satisfactory solution to your issue and will make it much more usable.

Well done.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

And there's been a quite interesting mini-series going on on the PyramydAirBlog on the P17 for those interested.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And there's been a quite interesting mini-series going on on the PyramydAirBlog on the P17 for those interested.
    Any chance of a link? My Google-fu is failing me.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Any chance of a link? My Google-fu is failing me.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019...pistol-part-5/

Here you go.

Cheers for that, Geezer.

I'm hopeless with these computery things and unable to do links.

Incidentally, there's what looks to be a nice and realistically priced HW40 in the Sales Section currently.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Cheers! 😁
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177