Thread: reloading

reloading

ive just put in for the 222 cf. had hmr for 3 years now.. i dont shoot that many bullets, so would reloading be advisable? thaught more of it being interesting than cost effective? and what would be a decent starter kit?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    You would need to shoot a lot of ammo to make reloading economic in a reasonable timescale, but there are other reasons for reloading:

1) As you say it is interesting and many happy hours can be had fiddling around with dies, powders, bullets, primers, crimps case length/headspace etc.

2) Many guns perform much better when using a home load which suits them rather than factory ammunition, but you might have to put in quite a bit of time to find the load which works best in your gun.

I reload for both of the above reasons
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I guess that choosing a decreasingly popular and harder to find calibre like .222 might be a good reason to reload, but as Turnup notes, you'd need to do a lot of shooting before getting any realistic return on your outlay of at least £300 or more, and that's mostly second-hand. Reloading is not a cheap option - it just lets you do more shooting than you would with factory stuff - swings and roundabout kind of thing.

By the time you've bought, say, forty rounds of factory ammunition and shot it to get the cases - what many people do - bought the bullets, and a to-go propellant, plus primers - all of which, apart from the cases, disappears in a bang forever, AND the reloading gear, it will be around £450 or more BEFORE you can begin to reload. That's a lot of factory ammunition... Even the average reloading manual these days costs around £25.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I guess that choosing a decreasingly popular and harder to find calibre like .222 might be a good reason to reload, but as Turnup notes, you'd need to do a lot of shooting before getting any realistic return on your outlay of at least £300 or more, and that's mostly second-hand. Reloading is not a cheap option - it just lets you do more shooting than you would with factory stuff - swings and roundabout kind of thing.

By the time you've bought, say, forty rounds of factory ammunition and shot it to get the cases - what many people do - bought the bullets, and a to-go propellant, plus primers - all of which, apart from the cases, disappears in a bang forever, AND the reloading gear, it will be around £450 or more BEFORE you can begin to reload. That's a lot of factory ammunition... Even the average reloading manual these days costs around £25.
    I have to say that I think that price is rather high.
    Bullets, primers and powder is not cheap but there are ways to reduce the cost e.use cast bullets.
    Brass can be acquired once fired at a reasonable price or even free.
    Press and dies secondhand are to be found at reasonable, even cheap, prices.
    The real reason for reloading I find is that it is a hobby in itself.

I've had a 222 for a few years as I always fancied one after reading an article in the seventies in the old Guns and Ammo magazine. It is the father of the .223 (5.56) and for many years was the benchrest calibre of choice due to its inherent accuracy until the 6mm class took over. Although the 223 is very popular due to the ready availabilty of mil surplus ammo and cases, the 222 still has a large following and factory ammo is easily available in virtually any gunshop for as low as £15 or so for twenty. If all you want to do is pop off the occasional fox then that is all you need.

I have always reloaded so I went straight into reloading for the 222. I picked up a few hundred empties at auction (Welsh arms auction) for next to nothing. Small rifle primers can be had for thirty quid a thousand at places like the gunshow. Suitable powder is around forty quid a pound which with 20gn loads will give you 350 shots at about 11p each. I managed to pick up what was sold as "about 1000 assorted .224 bullet heads" which ended up being 1300 good quality (Sierra, berger, Hornady etc) bullets still in sealed boxes and varying in weight from 40gn to 72gn for £52 at one auction and then another 1400 Sierra 55gn at the next auction for about fifty quid again. Very cheap shooting for years to come.

I have a couple of very old single stage Wamadet loading presses which I use for everything except my .38 loading (Progressive press for that). A second hand press can be had very cheaply if you look around. Even new they are not overly expensive. Die sets from about £40.

The 222 is very easy to load for and very forgiving. I've put a few hundred down range with different loads, bullet weights and types and mixed cases and they have all shot within an inch or so at 200 yds with no great difficulty. As has been said earlier, reloading can be fun and it is very satisfying to put in an excellent group with your own load. Most 222 rifles have a slow twist of 1 in 14 or so, so anything heavier than 55gn start to become unstable. I tried some of the 72gn projectiles and they keyholed beautifully at 100yds, although they work great in my mate's 223 (1 in 8). Little 40gn hollow points can be driven at over 3000fps and are deadly on foxes at three hundred yards.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I have to say that I think that price is rather high.
    Bullets, primers and powder is not cheap but there are ways to reduce the cost e.use cast bullets.
    Brass can be acquired once fired at a reasonable price or even free.
    Press and dies secondhand are to be found at reasonable, even cheap, prices.
    The real reason for reloading I find is that it is a hobby in itself.
    Good luck finding another shooter with a .222 - I know of only one other, and there are over 400 people in our little club. We all agree that reloading is a hobby all on its own, notwithstanding the fact that you are going to be shooting the end result in order to do more...and shooting cast bullets in a .222, IMO, defeats the object of having a high-stepping .22 centre fire in the fust place.

decisions-decisions.

I'm stuck in the .222/.223 dilemma. Variation for a .222 and see what can be done with modern powders and components or a .223 which is a more or less given as far as accuracy goes out to >250, which is all I need. Hmmmmm.......

I do like the "heritage" of the .222 though.

go .223 fast twist if poss .with the right load sub inch at 250 will be far better than factory ammo.more data and more reloading dies etc. top tip bite the bullet and get good gear first time round if possible.lapua brass is not cheap until you realise you can load it 20 times if the right dies are set up well etc.powder is not cheap untill you realise how many of those .223 bullets a 1 kg tub can make. as said already its as much a hobby as shooting if not more so.

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    go .223 fast twist if poss .with the right load sub inch at 250 will be far better than factory ammo.more data and more reloading dies etc. top tip bite the bullet and get good gear first time round if possible.lapua brass is not cheap until you realise you can load it 20 times if the right dies are set up well etc.powder is not cheap untill you realise how many of those .223 bullets a 1 kg tub can make. as said already its as much a hobby as shooting if not more so.
    Cheers. Had a CZ .223, 1 in 9 a few years ago and it was a cracker. I already reload for the Hornet so I have that addiction already.......

Quote Originally Posted by sirmissalot View Post
    I'm stuck in the .222/.223 dilemma. Variation for a .222 and see what can be done with modern powders and components or a .223 which is a more or less given as far as accuracy goes out to >250, which is all I need. Hmmmmm.......

I do like the "heritage" of the .222 though.
    my .223 is a tack driver and ricks got a 22-250 which is just the same.....horses for courses really.....if stuck for factory ammo then it as to be .223

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Get an RCBS Partner kit and add a case trimmer and a set of Lee dies to it, and you'll probably have change from £350-£370.
    Unless your reloading hobby grows arms and legs, that'll last you for years. I bought a Partner kit in about 1989 and althogh I've now got heavier duty presses, the Partner still does the job when I use it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

buy Ppu ammo you will not beat it

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    buy Ppu ammo you will not beat it
    true its very good brass for reloading
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Lee loader. £30
    Do it.

It's a slippery slope.