Thread: New to Pistol shooting and want something for 10m targets

New to Pistol shooting and want something for 10m targets

I have access to club guns and for pistols I use LP2 or LP10.
    I'd like to do some extra home practice (charged and Dry Fire) any recommendations for something Cheaper until I can save up the £1000 needed for a 2nd hand Match pistol?

Space,

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend on your 'intermediate' pistol.

Particularly so if you need it to have all the features of a modern PCP match pistol.

For 'newish' pistols, at the 'budget end', we have the Gamo Compact - an SSP (single stroke pneumatic), which you can get 2nd hand for around £100 - the Compact is a reasonably accurate pistol, that can be 'dry-fired'.

The LOV21, a CO2 pistol is also around the £100 mark, and it too is reasonably accurate. With a bit of firkling, you can also dry-fire the LOV21.

Going up in budget, we have the Baikal MP46-M, an SSP, capable of dry-fire, and for me a very good pistol indeed.

In the £200 - £600 region, you can find the 'classic' CO2 pistols of the 80s & 90s, from Walther (e.g. CP2) & Feinwerkbau (e.g. Model 2).

The vintage SSP pistols from Walther & Feinwerkbau, are excellent, but tend to command a large premium.

Also do not rule out the 'vintage' recoil-less target springers - FWB 65/80/90, Diana/Original Mod 6 & 10 - these shoot very well, but handle very differently to modern target pistols.

The vintage match CO2 pistols in particular, can be a real bargain.

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for the information, I will look at either a Gamo Compact for ease of purchase (as you say I can get one for £120 locally) or maybe a Baikal MP46-M (but these seem a little more difficult to find without travel)

Regards

Simon

I'll 2nd that. I managed to find this Walther CP2, £200 straight from Germany.

And here's the Lov21 with some added bits.

Thanks for the information I got really close to a decision and then sold a DrySuit which puts me into second hand PCP territory.

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Hi
    I have an Aeron brno b96 in the for sale section if you're interested.
    Cheers
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

For anyone else and those who have been kind enough to offer pistols. I have now bought an LP10.
    I am happy as it is well serviced and the same as I have been using at our Club.
    Now to practice and see how long it is before I get tempted again...