Thread: I知 sure one of a kind: CO2 converted Brown Pistol

I知 sure one of a kind: CO2 converted Brown Pistol

I was talking to the guy that won this at the Alm Auction a couple months ago. Showing the airgun ignorance of even high end auction houses: it wasn’t listed as a Brown, it wasn’t listed as converted with all parts retained. And during the inspection period the box with the parts wasn’t there? I was after it the day of the auction (in complete ignorance of it being converted) but it quickly went past my comfort level. It was reblued but looked just awesome. Below is the pic I took of me holding it during the auction inspection period. After that is a link to pics sent to me by the owner showing it in its case with all the original and CO2 conversion parts. We are both curious if anyone knows who did the conversion, we believe he was English?

Link to pics from the owner

https://imgur.com/a/IVh0KD1

Well, that's cute as a bug! Of course the case is not original but with the quality seen, it still adds good value.

Having the parts there is great, since, as far as I have ever seen, the innards of the Brown has been a mystery.

Possibly John Walker ?

At the auction there were numerous CO2 conversions assume Alm had a connection to someone who had this as one of his specialties or maybe he just collected these oddities? So much skill in machining the false pump handle, fooled everyone. Whoever it was also had a gift for bluing as well. This is the first picture I have seen inside a Brown? But I’m a bit of a rookie. The Owner said the person who converts is known to have conversions that can be reversed? Hard for me to imagine the desire to convert a Brown? Why not make the original work it is such a rare classic? But I have never heard of anyone shooting a Brown?
    Last edited by 45flint; 09-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Absolutely gorgeous!

External design and finish to die for. Internals,ingenious but just so-so. Love to have it as a working pneumatic.Not so interested in the CO2 conversion. Seems,Webleys,Walthers etc are now surfacing with gas conversions.Interesting..but that is all,I reckon. Trev

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    At the auction there were numerous CO2 conversions assume Alm had a connection to someone who had this as one of his specialties or maybe he just collected these oddities? So much skill in machining the false pump handle, fooled everyone. Whoever it was also had a gift for bluing as well. This is the first picture I have seen inside a Brown? But I’m a bit of a rookie. The Owner said the person who converts is known to have conversions that can be reversed? Hard for me to imagine the desire to convert a Brown? Why not make the original work it is such a rare classic? But I have never heard of anyone shooting a Brown?
    Same here. In over 30 years, have never once heard of anyone shooting a Brown. My thought on that is the Brown pump just does not look inviting to use. Maybe there is some magic that Mr. Brown found but a straight pneumatic hand pump ain't ideal. On the other hand, shooting a CO2 Brown sounds like it would be a...... blast!

It may have been Alm who many years ago had a Crosman 1923 converted to CO2. Which is fine with me. It makes what would otherwise be a wall hanger into a shooter. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by erichtfisherman View Post
    Possibly John Walker ?
    I spoke to John and he can't remember doing such a conversion, but as he did quite a few for Ingvar Alm, he's going to have a look at the photograph on this thread to see if it jogs his memory.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Same here. In over 30 years, have never once heard of anyone shooting a Brown. My thought on that is the Brown pump just does not look inviting to use. Maybe there is some magic that Mr. Brown found but a straight pneumatic hand pump ain't ideal. On the other hand, shooting a CO2 Brown sounds like it would be a...... blast!

It may have been Alm who many years ago had a Crosman 1923 converted to CO2. Which is fine with me. It makes what would otherwise be a wall hanger into a shooter. Nothing wrong with that.
    Yes it was sold at the auction and then sold below:

No. that's a 101 conversion. I'm talking about an original, first model (front pump,) 1923 Crosman rifle. Saw it in an American air gun magazine ages ago. Probably late '80s.

The Brown conversion was done by Tim Jones a while ago. Considering the complex pump design with numerous seals to replicate, I think this was a rather good scheme to create a shootable Brown pistol.
    Ingvar had a local retiree he used for refinishing who may have done the exterior of this one.

Dean, I remember the article you mention. I recall it as someone doing conversions just for his own enjoyment.

Don R.
    Last edited by draitzer; 10-05-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    The Brown conversion was done by Tim Jones a while ago. Considering the complex pump design with numerous seals to replicate, I think this was a rather good scheme to create a shootable Brown pistol.
    Ingvar had local retiree he used for refinishing who may have done the exterior of this one.

Dean, I remember the article you mention. I recall it as someone doing conversions just for his own enjoyment.

Don R.
    Is Tim still in the business. Where is he located?

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Ingvar had local retiree he used for refinishing who may have done the exterior of this one.

Don R.
    Thanks for clearing up the mystery.
    John knew Ingvar had people in the states doing work for him as well, particularly the refinishing, as John had no facilities for this, but he did work on a very large number of different guns for Ingvar.

Tim quit fooling with airguns some years ago, like others his family interests took over. A couple projects for Ingvar continued because of their friendship.

Don R.