Thread: Bench rest air rifle power - 8 or 16 Joule

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bench rest air rifle power - 8 or 16 Joule

Would welcome some advice on .177 target air rifle power as follows...

First question...

What is the maximum range an 8 Joule 10m target air rifle (such as a Walther LG400) can be used accurately at?

The reason I ask, is that I want to shoot either indoor 25 yard (NSRA 2510BR15-18 target) or 20 yard bench rest (NSRA 2010 BR17)

Will a modern 10m pcp 10m target rifle be accurate at the above ranges. As I can then use it for 10m, put a scope on and then shoot the above too.

Second question...

Am I right to assume that I would need a 16 Joule air rifle to shoot out to 50m?

look forward to responses.

cheers

wellhouse0 Guest

benchrest

realistically you need a 12ft/lb 16 joule rifle for 25-50yd benchrest.

I have a couple of hw 99's & they are reduced in power to about 7.5ftlb, i only shoot them at 6yds & 10m. But out of interest i tried one at 25m, using the standard open sights, & from a rest i got a sub 5p size 5 shot group.
    This has made me re think as to what power i need to make holes in paper, so don't be put off by low power rifles

wellhouse0 Guest

br

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    I have a couple of hw 99's & they are reduced in power to about 7.5ftlb, i only shoot them at 6yds & 10m. But out of interest i tried one at 25m, using the standard open sights, & from a rest i got a sub 5p size 5 shot group.
    This has made me re think as to what power i need to make holes in paper, so don't be put off by low power rifles
    realistically if he wants to be competitive a 5p size group is not going to cut it, the bull size is only slightly bigger than the pellet, take into account windage on a low power rifle and the scores will be well down. At 50 - well good luck! Stick with a 16joule for 25-50 if you want to be competitive. If you only do 25 then the lower power will do the job but bear in mind some comps/clubs are outdoors and you will definitely be at a disadvantage. I'm struggling to think of anyone i've seen using a 10m rifle at 50m competitively against 12joule and FAC .22 which generally shoot in the same class as each other. Someone i dare say will prove me wrong!
    Last edited by wellhouse0; 09-05-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Benchrest

I shoot 20 yards pistol (PL15 Target) with a Steyr LP5, the power is approximately 4 ft lbs 480 - 500 FPS with a 7 grain pellet.
    The pistol is capable of maximum scores at this range, but unfortunately my ability isn’t!

A 6ft lbs rifle like the LG400 should be equally capable at 25 yards on an indoor range.
    "This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours"

wellhouse0 Guest

br

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    I shoot 20 yards pistol (PL15 Target) with a Steyr LP5, the power is approximately 4 ft lbs 480 - 500 FPS with a 7 grain pellet.
    The pistol is capable of maximum scores at this range, but unfortunately my ability isn’t!

A 6ft lbs rifle like the LG400 should be equally capable at 25 yards on an indoor range.
    pistol targets are much bigger