Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9 ft lb hw97k that kicks like mule.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Sounds like the wrong breech seal fitted , or the cocking link/ pivot, is Sha--ed.
    I've just seen the vid and I concur. (But it was my idea first!)
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Gents I'm just on the John knibbs website now.its the cocking arm axis pin I need isn't?are the 77 and 97 the same as I can only seem to find the pin for the 77 on the website. Part 8925 its labelled as.

What vid !, did you invent cocking lever pins as well

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    What vid !, did you invent cocking lever pins as well
    I would link to it, but I haven't invented links yet.

And yes!

Steve, 97 is the same as the 77 for that part

I would link to it, but I haven't invented links yet.

And yes!

Steve, 97 is the same as the 77 for that part
    Thanks I'll order it now.old pin is already out as you've seen the photo.am i right in understanding that the pin needs to punched/splayed out after it's been inserted to make a tight fit?if so what kind of punch is needed as I've never seen one with a rounded end like what's seems to have punched the original.
    Another question,how did that pin manage to get in such bad shape so quickly?I've hardly shot that rifle because it was so un-enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-L View Post
    Thanks I'll order it now.old pin is already out as you've seen the photo.am i right in understanding that the pin needs to punched/splayed out after it's been inserted to make a tight fit?if so what kind of punch is needed as I've never seen one with a rounded end like what's seems to have punched the original.
    Another question,how did that pin manage to get in such bad shape so quickly?I've hardly shot that rifle because it was so un-enjoyable.
    It's a friction fit, no peening required.
    I have multiple 77/97's a week through the workshop, I have never seen that before. I giess it's not beed properly hardened, or maybe even properly formed

It's a friction fit, no peening required.
    I have multiple 77/97's a week through the workshop, I have never seen that before. I giess it's not beed properly hardened, or maybe even properly formed
    I'm the man it can happen twice in a row to believe that nick hahaha.
    Right thanks once again for your help and I'll keep you posted.

Kick like a mule

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-L View Post
    I have a hw97k in .177 that is only putting out 9.3 ft lbs and still kicks like its putting out 14 ft lbs.does anyone have any idea what the likely causes are for this.the spring is one piece and is straight and has polished ends.can I shiiiiiite get consistent groups with it.
    Sounds like a split seal , check both your breach seal ( youv loaded but the pellets almost jumped out getting sandwiched between barrel and breach seal splitting the seal ) the pelled jumped all the way out you havnt noticed and dry fired causing the piston seal to split against the cylinder head crown .. easily done with loose pellets .. may even have cracked the spring .replace all 3 and change your pellets . Sorry bud

That's the axis pin fitted.the comp tube no longer moves and it is now a little easier to shoot but is putting out 11.5 with h&n field targets and that's with a brand new piston seal in so power should go up some more,is that right?I will wait for it to bed in and remove a coil and see what's what's after that.
    Thanks for the advice

Maybe an idea to put some RWS Hobbies and JSB Exacts (8.44 and 7.87) through it to make sure it's not over, Steve.

If too close or over the top, that'll give you the option of softening it down even more.

How does it feel now?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Maybe an idea to put some RWS Hobbies and JSB Exacts (8.44 and 7.87) through it to make sure it's not over, Steve.

If too close or over the top, that'll give you the option of softening it down even more.

How does it feel now?
    It has definitely improved but still a bit uncivilized.i mean its easy enough to keep everything inside 20-25mm out to 35 yards but I know me and the rifle can do much much better than that.theres a chance I've not yet found it's best match pellet wise either so that may help improve even more.i will let the new piston seal bed in and chrono once more then take it down to just under 11ft lbs and see where things are then.

Maybe it just doesn't suit you.

I had a .177 '97 that I really liked - I loved how it looked and shouldered but, I just couldn't get it to shoot right for me - I know it might sound silly but, I tried different innards, different stocks, different scopes - I just couldn't get to grips with it.

I once managed to hit a 3" bell at just under 60yrds with a standing shot (a complete fluke in front of people at my local club ) but, I could never manage a decent 10 shot group at 35yrds so, I moved it on.
    ....... The chap that bought it is more than happy with it it and, I gather is doing pretty well with it.

Airguns eh

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Maybe it just doesn't suit you.

I had a .177 '97 that I really liked - I loved how it looked and shouldered but, I just couldn't get it to shoot right for me - I know it might sound silly but, I tried different innards, different stocks, different scopes - I just couldn't get to grips with it.

I once managed to hit a 3" bell at just under 60yrds with a standing shot (a complete fluke in front of people at my local club ) but, I could never manage a decent 10 shot group at 35yrds so, I moved it on.
    ....... The chap that bought it is more than happy with it it and, I gather is doing pretty well with it.

Airguns eh
    You could well be right about that but the rifle has had its problems which are now sorted.if things carry on then I will probably end up agreeing with you hahaha, I am NOT giving up yet!!

But yeah airguns do my head in!!

Sorry for double posting again but just thought I'd post a couple of chrono strings so people can tell me where things are at.
    First off though,I know its not written in stone but a springer would usually be more efficient with a lighter pellet,is that right?at the moment mine is more efficient with the heavier pellet but not by much..it is putting out 11.60(784 avg) with 8.44 grain rws super fields and 11.35 with jsb express 7.9 grain(806 avg).you will notice as well that its shoots much more consistently with the rws pellet,I dont know if that means anything in particular but that's what I'm finding.
    I'm not sure if its fully bedded in yet so wont go hacking away at the spring just yet,before I do though I will ask again,what's the lowest I should take the power down to?

Rws super field jsb express 4.52
    782 810
    785 793
    783 797
    784 815
    783 814
    778 810
    787 808
    785 796
    788 813
    784 805

Stevie-L,

Try and do a comparison with JSB Express & JSB Exact - compare apples with apples.

For my springer's I try and get the energy for JSB RS & JSB Exact to be about the same, with the JSB Express very slightly higher.

A 0.25 ft.lb difference is not important in the scheme of things

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ