Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 ft lb hw97k that kicks like mule.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Does the HW97 have the piston weight the same as the HW99s and possibly others ? If it does and its still in the OP's rifle could it be causing the issue?
    What us the issue with the piston weight mate

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-L View Post
    What us the issue with the piston weight mate
    Its a metal weight that adds mass to the piston . If you have left it in then it adds more preload to the spring which may cause it to shoot harshly .

If left in then you have that then a top hat which is a fair bit of preload . but i'm guessing it would not cock as the spring guide would hit the top hat before the rifle cocked .

Very good point, Mr Bighit.

Also, Steve, I wouldn't have thought that the tissue paper test for the breech seal when considering a sliding compression cylinder gun would be conclusive. As they're cheap to buy, maybe worth a new breech seal to test and then isolate that possible cause.

97s, correctly set-up, whether a 25mm or 26mm should be an absolute joy to shoot and a model of sweet-shooting springer loveliness. I'm sure you'll get there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Its a metal weight that adds mass to the piston . If you have left it in then it adds more preload to the spring which may cause it to shoot harshly .

If left in then you have that then a top hat which is a fair bit of preload . but i'm guessing it would not cock as the spring guide would hit the top hat before the rifle cocked .

So this would not cause the rifle to shoot harshly in its standard form?as it's been a nightmare to shoot from day one it really has.getting groups atv20 yards was never easy.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Very good point, Mr Bighit.

Also, Steve, I wouldn't have thought that the tissue paper test for the breech seal when considering a sliding compression cylinder gun would be conclusive. As they're cheap to buy, maybe worth a new breech seal to test and then isolate that possible cause.

97s, correctly set-up, whether a 25mm or 26mm should be an absolute joy to shoot and a model of sweet-shooting springer loveliness. I'm sure you'll get there.
    Well I'm on my way now after a year!I knew I was shooting a dog of a rifle.ive been so frustrated but keeping it bottled up.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The trouble is one persons bag of nails is anothers pleasant shooter.

If you want you can post it to me and I'll check it all over. All it'll cost you is the postage
    God rest ye jelly mental men

So this would not cause the rifle to shoot harshly in its standard form?as it's been a nightmare to shoot from day one it really has.getting groups atv20 yards was never easy.
    Not sure on that but if its still in there it will add extra preload to the spring as you have also fitted a top hat .

Never shot a rifle with the metal weight in it as my HW99S was second hand and possibly had the metal weight removed by the previous owner.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

If you want you can post it to me and I'll check it all over. All it'll cost you is the postage
    Good Shout. Cant say fairer than that.
    HW50 Stainless, HW77k SE Forest Laminate.20, HW80 Project .22, HW100 laminate . 177,

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

Thank you very much for that offer mr tinbum but I have booked the 97 to be fettled by Paul short and it's due to be sent off this Friday.i was very pleased with the job your service kit did for my rifle and kn no terms am I saying the rifledoes not shoot very well is because of the kit.the problem must lie elsewhere.thanks again.

steve did you buy it from sunderland scuba centre trimdon street ?.i bought my 97k new from there its very good as it goes.theres a guy from seaham called jeff,hes very good gunsmith busy doing my hw98 try him.by the way just outta interest for ya theres a 60 yard range opening philidephia soon.

I went back inside and checked on these metal washers and there was 2 of those fat ones in there.ive taken them out and it's hard to say what difference has been made because I cant get to the range.my piston is now 16g lighter lol

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    steve did you buy it from sunderland scuba centre trimdon street ?.i bought my 97k new from there its very good as it goes.theres a guy from seaham called jeff,hes very good gunsmith busy doing my hw98 try him.by the way just outta interest for ya theres a 60 yard range opening philidephia soon.
    I bought it from Bradford stalker but I've used Sunderland scuba a few times now,they may not be air rifle experts but they will do you a deal and have given me good customer service.if I buy a tx200 brand new I will buy it from them.glad there is a longer indoor range opening as well but I dont think it will be cheap

I bought it from Bradford stalker but I've used Sunderland scuba a few times now,they may not be air rifle experts but they will do you a deal and have given me good customer service.if I buy a tx200 brand new I will buy it from them.glad there is a longer indoor range opening as well but I dont think it will be cheap
    i just sold my tx200 to heavy £280 was mint nick aswell.aye good with prices scuba centre,watch out for black friday deals i got my aas400 off them black friday 440 quid,think there 525 now,my mate got bsa r10 650 black friday deal off them aswell.washington range closing but i thought it was crap anyways,this new range is 60 yards,ill use it to zero my scopes.

I went back inside and checked on these metal washers and there was 2 of those fat ones in there.ive taken them out and it's hard to say what difference has been made because I cant get to the range.my piston is now 16g lighter lol
    You must have a good bit of preload then .

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    i just sold my tx200 to heavy £280 was mint nick aswell.aye good with prices scuba centre,watch out for black friday deals i got my aas400 off them black friday 440 quid,think there 525 now,my mate got bsa r10 650 black friday deal off them aswell.washington range closing but i thought it was crap anyways,this new range is 60 yards,ill use it to zero my scopes.
    I usually shoot off a bench so dont mind the weight,I'm starting to gravitate towards sprinters as a result,pcps are a boring off the bench.so is this range in philly going to be ran by different people? I think it was Ian at Washington wasn't it?