Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Shooting show.

Northern Shooting show.

So who went and what was it like? Would loved to have gone but a bit too far for me.

Didn't bother going this year as it was disappointing last year. I hope I was wrong and they have turned it around, it will give me something to look forward to next year

Booked in advance for both days. I only went on the Saturday. says it all really.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Meh, I don't really know what some people expect when they go to these shows, but I went on Saturday and enjoyed it. Some decent deals to be had particularly on shotties. Had some good chats with manufacturers/ sales reps. Fondled some nice guns. The only really busy stands were Cheshire gunroom and Redbeck. Easy to get to, cheap to get in. Whilst there was still some shiite being sold there was much less of the artisan food and clothing stalls that seems to plague these events in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Booked in advance for both days. I only went on the Saturday. says it all really.
    Fairly similar.
    Got there at nine on Saturday. I was ready for home before 12.
    Robin

Must admit , I didn't think it was as good as previous years .
    Defiinately not many bargains , but then is there ever ?

Went Saturday. Was less busy and less bargains than last year but it was a social occasion as much as anything for us.

5 of us went, but we met and chatted to lots of folk, on stands etc.

I thought last year was better, more bargain/rummage type stalls, this time, not even BSA turned up.

Going next year? Yes.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    Went Saturday. this time, not even BSA turned up.

Going next year? Yes.
    Exactly what I thought as well .
    But one of our members said they were next to Daystate .
    I didn't see them .

Not seen them there, and spent time at Daystate/Brocock.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

I went on Sunday and enjoyed it immensely, for several reasons I'd not been for a few years because of my situation, constant pains and inability to be mobile in a safe manner for myself and others. I wasn't in a hurry and slowly made my way about at my own pace. Several stands I visited offered me a chair and I can say, I was glad of the offer. I had a good chat with the folks on the Pellpax, Daystate/Brocock, stands, spent a good amount of time chatting on the RUAG stand and had a few minutes with the Anschutz boss talking about days gone by and how good the air rifles available now and are at the cutting edge of technology. Like Formula 1 and MotoGP, which are the epitome of technical excellence, manufacturing methods, materials and engineering, is filtering into the sport giving us things to play with, that only 5 years, would be a pipe dream or deemed "far fetched or alien".

At one stand, that I will not name, I had a really good conversation with a gentleman who summed up a situation we have, have always had and will continue to have. He told me, "I'm 61 years old, have been an outdoors lad since I was born and very respectful of the countryside, We are fortunate in what's available to us and the the only negative, is what's happening outside of the sensible shooters world, 99.999999999% of all gun owners are careful, keep it legal and don't do stupid things, this leaves the odd idiot who shoots at farm animals, pets, road signs, at other people and in the real world, are in the yes of the law, just way to stupid be be considered safe to even have a dog lead and no dog." Very well put.

I tend to keep myself to myself, were shooting is concerned, nowadays, I flatly refuse any requests of, "can I come shooting with you or would you mind if I tagged along to watch", as, we all now, it only takes one idiot to do something out of your control to ruin something a shooting permission, destroy a relationship with the farmer or landowner and word soon gets around in the farming fraternity, this basically, kills the sport for you.

Unless you can trust a person with your life, don't trust them with your permissions.

I thought last year was better . 2 hours and was on way back home won't be rushing back next year !

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkyfunkymunky View Post
    I went on Sunday and enjoyed it immensely, for several reasons I'd not been for a few years because of my situation, constant pains and inability to be mobile in a safe manner for myself and others. I wasn't in a hurry and slowly made my way about at my own pace. Several stands I visited offered me a chair and I can say, I was glad of the offer. I had a good chat with the folks on the Pellpax, Daystate/Brocock, stands, spent a good amount of time chatting on the RUAG stand and had a few minutes with the Anschutz boss talking about days gone by and how good the air rifles available now and are at the cutting edge of technology. Like Formula 1 and MotoGP, which are the epitome of technical excellence, manufacturing methods, materials and engineering, is filtering into the sport giving us things to play with, that only 5 years, would be a pipe dream or deemed "far fetched or alien".

At one stand, that I will not name, I had a really good conversation with a gentleman who summed up a situation we have, have always had and will continue to have. He told me, "I'm 61 years old, have been an outdoors lad since I was born and very respectful of the countryside, We are fortunate in what's available to us and the the only negative, is what's happening outside of the sensible shooters world, 99.999999999% of all gun owners are careful, keep it legal and don't do stupid things, this leaves the odd idiot who shoots at farm animals, pets, road signs, at other people and in the real world, are in the yes of the law, just way to stupid be be considered safe to even have a dog lead and no dog." Very well put.

I tend to keep myself to myself, were shooting is concerned, nowadays, I flatly refuse any requests of, "can I come shooting with you or would you mind if I tagged along to watch", as, we all now, it only takes one idiot to do something out of your control to ruin something a shooting permission, destroy a relationship with the farmer or landowner and word soon gets around in the farming fraternity, this basically, kills the sport for you.

Unless you can trust a person with your life, don't trust them with your permissions.
    I found the show a strange one, I was on the RUAG stand, can remember discussing a few things with you and generally setting the world to rights!

It was strange as we were out in the marquee, normally in hall 1, it showed we were out of the way as on the Saturday when it rained and people headed for cover the vast majority of people were saying they never knew there were more stands in the marquee!

Saturday people came and went in waves, not majorly busy but busy enough, Sunday was dead until 10, had a mad couple of hours then dead for an hour or so and we started to pack up at 15:30 as it was dead....a few other stands had already packed up.

Met some good people which is always nice had a few good chats but it just seemed to be missing something from what the feedback we were getting on the stand - most people I talked to said it was a poor show and wouldn't be back.

I don't know what is missing, maybe there's too many shows nowadays, add to the fact pitches are getting more and more expensive, staffing is expensive so theres less bargains to be had, I don't know?

Anyway I enjoyed it met some good decent people which is always good.

Matt

No bargains??

NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I found the show a strange one, I was on the RUAG stand, can remember discussing a few things with you and generally setting the world to rights!

It was strange as we were out in the marquee, normally in hall 1, it showed we were out of the way as on the Saturday when it rained and people headed for cover the vast majority of people were saying they never knew there were more stands in the marquee!

Saturday people came and went in waves, not majorly busy but busy enough, Sunday was dead until 10, had a mad couple of hours then dead for an hour or so and we started to pack up at 15:30 as it was dead....a few other stands had already packed up.

Met some good people which is always nice had a few good chats but it just seemed to be missing something from what the feedback we were getting on the stand - most people I talked to said it was a poor show and wouldn't be back.

I don't know what is missing, maybe there's too many shows nowadays, add to the fact pitches are getting more and more expensive, staffing is expensive so theres less bargains to be had, I don't know?

Anyway I enjoyed it met some good decent people which is always good.

Matt

Plus the fact that some shops have to close to attend the shows ,so any sales they would have made by people passing the shop not knowing they were at the show is lost too if they go elsewhere.

Wow, hardly 5% off most of them, that's a piss poor sale .