Thread: 9mm Pinfire revolver question?

9mm Pinfire revolver question?

Just came in today, a nice little 9mm pinfire revolver.

https://imgur.com/gallery/kepQAan

Looks to be in ok condition. No rust and cylinder and bore are clean. It is single and double action though there must be something wrong with it since it does not always work. Double action only works once you have opened and shut the loading gate (maybe it is designed to work with cartridges in the cylinder? I dont know) and then you can pull the trigger and the cylinder will rotate but the hammer wont move (maybe something is broken?). And also single action works on and off. By that I mean I can cock the hammer and the cylinder will move and then do the same again and the cylinder will not move. I have found that if i rotate the cylinder slightly to the right, when the hammer is cocked, it will work correctly but if I dont, well it does not always work.

Could just be something broken inside the trigger, I do not know. Any ideas?

Also there are minimal markings on the gun. I can see the ELG proof marks as well as a L under a star (indicating the gun was made after 1877) and then what looks to be a DC(?) marking on the right side of the frame, underneath the ejector. No idea what this means, makers mark perhaps? No serial number or anything, though it is worn.

I like it but the seller did say it was working as it should, well turns out thats not 100% correct.

I will take it apart later and see whats what, though looks like someone in the past has tried this and damaged some of the screw heads

If anyone has any ideas to whats wrong with the gun or what the odd DC marking means, please tell me. Would be much appreciated.

Cheers

With a rough guess I would say your timing is out.
    When you cock the gun a pawl moves the cylinder into position to fire ie, in line with the barrel.
    If the pawl is worn or the teeth on the cylinder are worn it will not rotate fully to the firing position.

Like I said, just a guess. It will be interesting to know the cause when you suss it out.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    With a rough guess I would say your timing is out.
    When you cock the gun a pawl moves the cylinder into position to fire ie, in line with the barrel.
    If the pawl is worn or the teeth on the cylinder are worn it will not rotate fully to the firing position.

Like I said, just a guess. It will be interesting to know the cause when you suss it out.
    The teeth on the cylinder look good. Could be the pawl. I have found that if I swing the gun to the right it works for one shot. So something is defiantly off or broken.

And it might be me, but I have had two pinfire guns in the past, this revolver and a shotgun. And both smelt funny. Odd to mention I know but still. Both had this particular smell I have only found on Belgium guns.

try little gun for info on makers marks.
    The books are very good

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge...belge%20gb.htm

I don't think you'll get anywhere without taking it apart, my guess is it's just general wear. These little revolvers aren't rocket science, there's only a few moving parts. I would get the screws soaking in a penetration oil for a couple of days then set to.