Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a muzzle loading pistol

Thinking of getting a muzzle loading pistol

I’ve been shooting rimfire and fullbore for a long time now and a few of our club members shoot black powder pistols.
    I’m looking at the Uberti 1858 new model army stainless in 44.
    With Uberti , Peddasolli and Pietta making that model, what would be a good choice and why.

Thank you

Ps I will be using Pyrodex.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Our club & myself have the Uberti, nae issues with it.

If you want something better, there's still a few Ruger Old Armys out there.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Pietta have upped their game considerably over the last three or four years. Reading over on muzzleloadingforum.com, it appears that Uberti are having a few issues with QC - a couple of people there have complained about 'chips' out of the hammer and failing to register the cylinder. Easy to fix in the US of A, where you just send it back to the supplier and get another one. A lot more difficult here with the FAC registration system that means that to all intents and purposes, you have disposed of one gun, and want to buy another identical model.

I know nothing about Pedersoli handguns.

IF you can find a Ruger Old Army and keep it running, then it will last into the 24th century. Bad news is that there are NO spare parts left of any kind that are not common with the BLUED Blackhawk revolver - that means, in reality, a couple of screws. Nipples are easy to find - I supply people over here with replacements at a very much smaller price than the usual dealers because I buy them in the USA. I bought mine on March 2nd 1986, and it's still going strong. Figure on paying around £600 or more unless you are really in luck and buy from a giver-upper. Casting your own ball is great fun, and costs less than a tenth of buying them ready made, too. It's no use asking the Ruger Importers, Viking Arms, for any help. either. Later on in 1986, I asked them to supply me with the free-from-Ruger taller foresight.

Never heard back.

And then, in 2002, I asked the same again for my Sabre Defence Systems Super Redhawk foresight inserts - as provided with every Super Redhawk sold.

Never heard back about them, either.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Pietta have upped their game considerably over the last three or four years. Reading over on muzzleloadingforum.com, it appears that Uberti are having a few issues with QC - a couple of people there have complained about 'chips' out of the hammer and failing to register the cylinder. Easy to fix in the US of A, where you just send it back to the supplier and get another one. A lot more difficult here with the FAC registration system that means that to all intents and purposes, you have disposed of one gun, and want to buy another identical model.

I know nothing about Pedersoli handguns.

IF you can find a Ruger Old Army and keep it running, then it will last into the 24th century. Bad news is that there are NO spare parts left of any kind that are not common with the BLUED Blackhawk revolver - that means, in reality, a couple of screws. Nipples are easy to find - I supply people over here with replacements at a very much smaller price than the usual dealers because I buy them in the USA. I bought mine on March 2nd 1986, and it's still going strong. Figure on paying around £600 or more unless you are really in luck and buy from a giver-upper. Casting your own ball is great fun, and costs less than a tenth of buying them ready made, too. It's no use asking the Ruger Importers, Viking Arms, for any help. either. Later on in 1986, I asked them to supply me with the free-from-Ruger taller foresight.

Never heard back.

And then, in 2002, I asked the same again for my Sabre Defence Systems Super Redhawk foresight inserts - as provided with every Super Redhawk sold.

Never heard back about them, either.
    Good to know Tac, I picked one up a couple of years ago, too good an opportunity to miss (£400); virtually unfired and the owner had died.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

my friend had a Pietta Remmington copy years back,what a pile of cack,hope they have improved
    ROA spot on,there was 2 in my local shop last month.People buy then when the weather gets bad,fingers blue,they sell up

Ruger Old Army

I have 2, both blued (my personal preference) one with the brass frame. Really like them both. Only issues I had was that on moving to France (where muzzle loading pistols are off ticket over 18's item) I was disappointed to find the Ruger have been reclassified as Cat B meaning the are authorisation only not declaration. Bit of a sod but I can see why. I understand that conversion to 45LC is a doddle - something I may well consider if the local prefecture allows my Cat B.

Regards

David

Thank you for the info.👍
    Today i sold a rifle and I’m filling in the variation form this weekend and posting to Cambs firearms dept on monday, giving me plenty of time to see what I can get before my fac gets back.
    Thank you
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    Thank you for the info.👍
    Today i sold a rifle and I’m filling in the variation form this weekend and posting to Cambs firearms dept on monday, giving me plenty of time to see what I can get before my fac gets back.
    Thank you
    Give the boys at Fenland rural sports a call - tell them I sent you.

There's the trade fair at Bisley at the weekend - last year there were 3-4 Ruger OA's there (and plenty of other C&B pistols) for what I thought was a good price.

https://gb.eventbu.com/bisley/trade-...hoenix/2659637

Love my Rugers. have a stainless target one and a short barrel nickel one. Cant see me ever changing them. Will both out last me by a long way.

Had a phone call last week to check my details for my variation, hoping for fac to arrive this week ready for shopping beginning of July.

Have slots for .44 and .36 pistols and .45 rifle on FAC. Watching this thread with interest. Planning a trip into the badlands that are the Fens to see what is available next week.

I've been having an itch for a bo revolver as well... a few lads at the club have been buying the Westlake nitro pistols, but I'm not really bothered with them... I have been looking at armi San Marco colt walkers! 😂
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Greygoose View Post
    Have slots for .44 and .36 pistols and .45 rifle on FAC. Watching this thread with interest. Planning a trip into the badlands that are the Fens to see what is available next week.
    What badlands in th Fens, as I live in the Fens 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Paul101 View Post
    What badlands in th Fens, as I live in the Fens 😂😂
    Webbed feet and banjoes!