Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more BLC-2 help

no more BLC-2 help

hello all,

just been told no more BL-C-2 will be imported and I have just run out ………….

one of the alternatives is cfe 223 I can get hold of , any one used it and whats it like going in a 308 with a 168 gn s.m.k bullet or is there any left around Derbyshire ?

whats wrong with using any of the commonly available powders from Viht,Ramshot Reload Suisse etc ?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

this was my first pound of powder and first round of reloading and fell on my feet with a load that worked very well,

my local gun shop's have sold out of a lot of powder and I don't have a wealth of experience on what is similar , and shops only have a few powders left in stock and most are 1 kg just don't fancy wasting thick end of £100 on a powder that isn't that good

my choices are ( never used any of these )

cfe 223,

VihtaVuori N140

Benchmark Hodgdon Extreme

cannot find much info or test results on others

Ramshot Tac if you throw your loads or N140, cfe .223 is not banned under Reach but I’ve never used at as when I was starting out I was told to avoid yank powders due to likely supply issues, best advice I’ve ever been given!

Just read your post fully, .308 under a 168 smk has N140 written all over it buddy
    Thanks for looking

have seen quite a few people recommend n140 there is quite a difference in gns weight between that and blc-2 is this common with different powders n140 36 - 42 gns blc-2 was 44.7 which was bang in-between max and min.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    have seen quite a few people recommend n140 there is quite a difference in gns weight between that and blc-2 is this common with different powders n140 36 - 42 gns blc-2 was 44.7 which was bang in-between max and min.
    every powder is different, even with similar burn rates, the Reload suisse powder RS50 is broadly the same as N140 either would make a good choice as long as its available in your area (which it should be) both are normally sold in 1Kg (2.2lb) bottles rather than the American 1 lb bottles (this often seems to confuse people who complain at the price per bottle saying how expensive these powders are compared to the US stuff, when they are actually cheaper per pound)
    edit just read the bit about being loath to buy 1kg in case it doesn't work, N140 and RS50 have been the go-to ,308 target load powder for years so either will work admirably.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Yeah it’s quite common, burn rates are close but not identical which is why you can’t swap load data about based on burn rate tables.

I use n140 in .308 under 155s and 168s and and it works really well, slightly more widely available than RS powders but that is changing. If you buy it in 3.5 kg containers it’s a big outlay but works out cheaper per kg than pretty much anything else. Depends on how much you get through!
    Thanks for looking

cheers guys been searching the net and it looks like the n140 is as said the goto powder for my needs and the two gun shops in 30 mile stock it

so looks like n140 tomorrow after work and looks like it wont be a risk getting a kg tub

cheers for you help guys

Just sold a 3.5kg bottle for £230, if can get to fox firearms shop that where got it from don't no if same price this was about
    6 months back

cheers guys been searching the net and it looks like the n140 is as said the goto powder for my needs and the two gun shops in 30 mile stock it

so looks like n140 tomorrow after work and looks like it wont be a risk getting a kg tub

cheers for you help guys
    No worries, very versatile powder I use across 4 calibres and it performs well in all of them
    Thanks for looking

powder

hello all,

just been told no more BL-C-2 will be imported and I have just run out ………….

one of the alternatives is cfe 223 I can get hold of , any one used it and whats it like going in a 308 with a 168 gn s.m.k bullet or is there any left around Derbyshire ?
    Ramshot TAC works well for me , .223 and .308 no problem.
    This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future! Adolph Hitler – 1933

Quote Originally Posted by waterford103 View Post
    Ramshot TAC works well for me , .223 and .308 no problem.
    I will second that works for me

Reload Swiss (RS) powders are great for .223 and .308.
    Try the RS52 for both of the above
    BSA Mercury .22, Steyr SSG69, Enfield No4 Mk1*, Schmeisser AR15 Ultramatch, 1938 Mauser KKW K98 Trainer.

my local gun shop hasn't got a great selection lately picked up n140 worked well but did find it a little dirty compared to the BLC-2

almost used a kg so will have a look if any one local is has any of the other types

I use viht 120 in my .223 and it's very good with 55's
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g