Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space for a few guns.

Space for a few guns.

Hi Chaps,

Having moved (twice) decorated and had the usual life dramas I am now on the cusp of mounting a three gun rack on my freshly painted wall. its the simple pleasures that are the best and I decided I would like to put a couple of rifles on it that I do not yet own or no longer own due to my past self selling them on.

First, could anyone tell me how much a Webley Vulcan in .177 goes for in these austerity ridden times? I really would like to know more about these and like the look of them... has anyone had one? I am not fussed about sights as I will scope it up.

The second would be the Crosman 2200W. I just like the look of these and used to own a fantastic example... which went out on loan never to return. Do they still crop up for sale and how much would you advise paying.

I really would be interested to know what you Guys think of these two rifles and what you would put in a three gun rack... third spot by the way is for a Diana MK1 BB gun....

Thanks in advance for any tips, what would be your top 3 guns?

Standard Vulcans go for anything from £50 (tatty) to maybe £120 in good nick. Walnut-stocked Deluxes a bit more, but unlikely to go above £140 unless as new in box.

Nice rifles. Not the most sophisticated, inferior to contemporary FWBs and HWs, but a real piece of 80s British airgun history and still very capable as barn guns or for similar shorter-range pest control. And I like the looks, esp the Deluxe. Most are .22” of course, but so many were made that I don’t think .177” commands a premium.

The rarest Vulcans are the Special, also known as the SE, Special Export or Custom. Only 100-200 made in the early 80s. Different walnut stock and gold plated bits.

Also rare are mid-80s walnut tyrolean ones.

Crosman 2200W (1997-2003) is quite rare (I have one, never seen another in the U.K., though they must exist). Maybe I have your old one! Think I paid about £80, which feels about right. A very similar rifle is the early-80s Model 1. It’s a tiny bit nicer (Williams rear sight) but not, I think, worth significantly more.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I'm making my own Cr2200W.

Mine was butchered to within an inch of it's life years ago, so I found a new main block, which happened to be the old chrome style. I need to make a quite a few bits and pieces, but am not in a rush. I'm using a completely different barrel too (internally), rather than the bendy drinking straw - so it might actually end up being accurate. So am looking for a few bits and pieces.. and will just make a wooden stock. I have a nice lump of mahogany that might do..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the replies Guys. I am a bit surprised that there were so many variants of the Vulcan (Google is not helping me here)... would like a Walnut stocked one!).

As for the 2200W being rare I had no idea that was the case. I have a 2200 with chrome receiver but would never consider making a stock. There was a series of articles by a man called Frenchie? who made creating stocks look easy-are they online anywhere? Mahogany would work I am sure.

Vulcans......I owned a MarkII in .22 many years ago. Power seemed good. I didn't keep it that long as I already had a handful of HWs and a FWB 127 at the time which I considered superior, especially the triggers. I also preferred the Mercury to the Vulcan.

Also had a Crosman Model 1 until about nine years ago. Nice enough for a bit of fun and maybe quite useful for hunting, but it seemed like unnecessary faffing when a simple, single stroke of a break barrel suffices.

Ideal three guns in a rack......now that's a toughie. I feel they'd want to be elegant, simple rifles.....A LJ/BSA underlever for sure. A Blue Streak. And, although another BSA.....an Airsporter Mark I or II (although I'd prefer a Mercury to SHOOT).
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

This brings back memories for me, I also made a gun rack in the 80's that had my Webley Vulcan,a Relum Tornado(don't laugh) and a Bsa super Meteor on it.It was in my bedroom at my parents house .I still have the guns in my collection ..
    Les.

did you know if some one can see the guns from outside you can be sued for causing them distress yes crosman and Sheridan do look the part in a rack

Wow yes the guns you chaps are mentioning are all worthy of a spot on the rack...OMG Sheridan! I had totally forgotten about them and they do look so nice, infact probably easier to find than the wood Crosman. I will need another rack at this rate. Off now to look at Sheridan pictures...

Hang on I have just read that again... I can be sued if someone sees them what have we been reduced to? No one will see them but what the hell?

Sounds a bit unlikely.
    But if they can be seen from outside thieves might be interested.

You do need to comply with safe storage and kids rules so I suggest you put a lock on the gun room door.

Very much doubt that they will be seen and I will put a little chain through the trigger guards and lock them. Feels like we are being squeezed out of existance with all the PC stuff going on

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post

Hi Chaps,

First, could anyone tell me how much a Webley Vulcan in .177 goes for in these austerity ridden times? I really would like to know more about these and like the look of them... has anyone had one? I am not fussed about sights as I will scope it up.
    Morning Gamocfx, I have bumped my fairly comprehensive thread regarding the Webley & Scott Vulcan, as started Sept 2017 back ttt here in the collectors section for you, in the hope that it may help answer your question(s)? Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 19-05-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: to ad a bit of colour.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks for that Gareth, I started to google them and went down a rabbit hole with so many different versions and names for them.... I will have a look now, very much appreciated

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I sold my close to mint Vulcan mk2 in .22 about a year ago for £160 with a scope/bag/mod, so probably £120 for the gun only. I would not be looking at anything other than top condition for putting on a wall, so this should be around what you will ultimately pay unless your doing it up.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

That's a handy guide thanks Jes. I have been reading the thread on them, really an impressive rifle. Maybe the Webley book would be worth investing in if I can find a cheap copy.