Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45 .22 / Plinking pistol alternative

HW45 .22 / Plinking pistol alternative

Hello all.

After not following the rules or guides apparently I am asking some advice from you the good folks of this community last thread was deleted

Basically I have been looking at pistols to plink with and I have been reading about the HW45.

As you are all alot more experienced than I, I was wondering if there are any recommendations as an alternative or should I go with my gut feeling.

Would like to stick with .22 to save buying .177 pellets if I am honest. But if anyone can recommend me anything as an alternative to a hw45 as I am a total noob when it comes to pistol plinking.

Targets only. Not live quarry. I need to make that clear. And no this isn't a wanted ad. I have put that in the correct forum.

After advice more than anything. Just think it'd be nice to use at the ranges I go too. I know Kinver always has a pistol range set up and it got me thinking it'd be a new skill to learn.

Thanks in advance

Hope this doesn't break any rules and apologies if so I am pretty new around here.
    "Patron Saint of Righteous Rage for the voiceless outcast"

I rocks a Walther

The HW45 is fairly hard to beat as a tin can mangler

They make an awesome plinker and if you put the time in can be quite a good paper muncher too although there are probably better pistols if tight groups on paper is your bag.

They can be quite a marmite pistol though some people just never gel with them and find them difficult to shoot and master, however as mentioned with time they can become very addictive.

If you have your heart set on one go for it, I personally would look for a decent used example just incase it’s not for you and then you shouldn’t lose any money on it as they are still very popular on the used market.

As much as I like the 45 I personally prefer the HW40 yes they aren’t as powerful but still excellent for plinking and so much nicer if you want to get all serious making tight groups on paper.

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick.

I'll ask the fellas at penkridge and Kinver where I go and see if they have any advice. They are all (as with most people in this activity) super nice helpful blokes and ladies.

I personally like the challenge of learning a new skill much like my Springer!

I think due to it being my first plinking pistol I dont want to make the same mistake I did with my first rifle and buy cheap buy twice.

Thanks again buddy.

I rocks a Walther

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I agree with most of the above - the HW45 can be tricky to master but rewarding when you do. I'd definitely look for a 2nd hand example, try before you buy if you can.
    I disagree about the HW40 but that's a matter of personal taste - the HW40 is undoubtedly more accurate, but somewhat soulless and boring in comparison. Also not nearly as powerful, if you like to make those tin cans 'dance'.

I had a HW45 in .22 and one in .177. The .177 I bought from a gunshop in used but good condition, the .22 was also 2nd hand but brand new, perhaps been fired once or twice. The .22 had the horrible modern fibreoptic sights, the .177 had the classic plain iron sights, which is my preference. Ended up ditching the .22 and keeping the .177 as it shot nicer too - also if you are shooting a lot .177 pellets are cheaper

They shoot a lot nicer with a Tinbum tuning kit IMO; Cuts down a lot on the dieseling, smoother to cock and shoot, and immediate improvement in accuracy. So if you do get one and you enjoy shooting it, consider a TB kit.

Another thing to take into account is that the scope rail is an odd size, so it's not the best gun for putting red dot sights on and the like. However the grip is compatible with most colt 1911 grip scales so there is a bit of scope for customisation.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by BBP_1 View Post
    Thanks Nick.

I'll ask the fellas at penkridge and Kinver where I go and see if they have any advice. They are all (as with most people in this activity) super nice helpful blokes and ladies.

I personally like the challenge of learning a new skill much like my Springer!

I think due to it being my first plinking pistol I dont want to make the same mistake I did with my first rifle and buy cheap buy twice.

Thanks again buddy.
    No probs

If you get chance to try one out first then all the better.

They can be a challenge but well worth the effort

The HW45 is a quality pistol you shouldn’t have any qualms with regards to it being a buy twice scenario.

My only reservation would be buying new and taking a hit if it’s not for you as they are quite a pricey pistol brand new hence buying used you wouldn’t lose much if any value at all

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I agree with most of the above - the HW45 can be tricky to master but rewarding when you do. I'd definitely look for a 2nd hand example, try before you buy if you can.
    I disagree about the HW40 but that's a matter of personal taste - the HW40 is undoubtedly more accurate, but somewhat soulless and boring in comparison. Also not nearly as powerful, if you like to make those tin cans 'dance'.

I had a HW45 in .22 and one in .177. The .177 I bought from a gunshop in used but good condition, the .22 was also 2nd hand but brand new, perhaps been fired once or twice. The .22 had the horrible modern fibreoptic sights, the .177 had the classic plain iron sights, which is my preference. Ended up ditching the .22 and keeping the .177 as it shot nicer too - also if you are shooting a lot .177 pellets are cheaper

They shoot a lot nicer with a Tinbum tuning kit IMO; Cuts down a lot on the dieseling, smoother to cock and shoot, and immediate improvement in accuracy. So if you do get one and you enjoy shooting it, consider a TB kit.

Another thing to take into account is that the scope rail is an odd size, so it's not the best gun for putting red dot sights on and the like. However the grip is compatible with most colt 1911 grip scales so there is a bit of scope for customisation.
    Some very valid points eyebull however my preference for the HW40 is not only how it shoots but it’s size as the 45 is quite a hand canon whereas the 40 is very nice in the hand

Thanks both. Cracking answers. Is there an "alternative" so to speak? Or something in the same class? I don't want to go Olympic targets just wondering

I rocks a Walther

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Some very valid points eyebull however my preference for the HW40 is not only how it shoots but it’s size as the 45 is quite a hand canon whereas the 40 is very nice in the hand
    A chap I work with who helps me alot with shooting advice said exactly the same phrase "hand cannon" made me chuckle.

I rocks a Walther

Some most excellent advice up above and many valid points.

I love the '45; it's my favourite pistol and there's very little chance of you regretting it. It's a high quality, solid pistol with a superb trigger. Yes, they may take a little practice to get used to, but when you master the art you derive a high degree of satisfaction and really bond with it.

The one gun that I regret selling is the .177 '45 that I bought in 1988. Superbly accurate and capable of printing very respectable groups on paper at the club's 20 yards indoor range. Can't remember exactly why it went but it was one of my most stupid moves.

When I was in a position to source its replacement I wanted another .177. When the RFD enquired with Hull Cartridge, he was informed that they had the .22 in stock but there might be a lengthy wait for the .177. So I went with the .22. Very much like it and it's a keeper, but I still want a .177 to join it one day.

The HW40 is, indeed, far easier to master and it's quite stunning in its ability to print tiny groups. I have one of these, too, and it's also a keeper. If you like the looks and lighter weight and ease of accuracy, the '40 is also now available in .22 if you desire more "thump" for making those tin cans dance about.

Personally, with either pistol, I'd choose the smaller calibre for flatter trajectory at extended ranges and for the cheaper pellet prices.

And I also want a HW75 too. Very similar looks and heft to the '45, but recoilless and so easy, like the '40, but exuding more of that air of quality, solid build.

I can't think of another springer pistol I'd rather own than the HW45.

Yes, they can be tweaked and improved further, but this pistol never fails to put a smile on my face and that's ultimately what it's all about, innit?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by BBP_1 View Post
    Thanks both. Cracking answers. Is there an "alternative" so to speak? Or something in the same class? I don't want to go Olympic targets just wondering
    If you don't mind going 'vintage', consider a Webley Senior or Premier - there were a lot sold in their time so they are relatively plentiful and reasonably priced. Spare breech seals etc are still available and they are dead easy to work on. They feel more like a 'real' pistol than any other springer.
    You'd have to ask the chaps in collectors corner to be sure, but my understanding is that most of them have a phosphor bronze ring for a piston seal, like you'd find in an engine. These are good for about 1,000,000 (yes, a million) shots. Not a few of them have outlived their original owners.

For something more modern and tacticool looking, take a look at the 'Webley' (actually Zoraki) Alecto pneumatic (pump up) pistol.
    It may look like the bastard child of a Desert Eagle and a target pistol, but it's recoilless, has an adjustable palm shelf, is extremely accurate, can be pumped 1,2 or 3 times for different power levels (IIRC about 3 FPE, 4.5 FPE and 5.5 FPE respectively), has good iron sights, can take a red dot, and some models can also take a moderator for extremely quiet operation. By which I mean, so quiet that you will think the gun is broken.

The HW75 is the SSP (single stroke pneumatic) version of the HW45. Recoilless - thus more accurate - but less powerful and some would argue less interesting. It also has a semi-target grip and cannot take 1911 grip scales. Some deride it as neither a good plinker nor a serious target pistol, while other swear by it. No personal experience so can't offer an opinion.
    Good deals with these members

HW45s are very good.

Alternative powerful springers worth a look: old BSA Scorpion, old Webley Hurricane/Tempest, recently discontinued Diana LP5 Magnum, current Diana LP8.

Alternative powerful springers that I caution against: Browning 800, SMK 26 and 32, Hatsan 25 Supercharger, “Webley” Typhoon (rebadged Hatsan 25).

Couldn't argue against the Senior, Premier, Tempest, Scorpion and Diana recommendations.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

having had both the hw45 and the webley alecto,
    ide pick the alecto every time
    alecto-no recoil,mouse poop quiet if silenced and super accurate
    hw45-kicks like a mule,bloody noisy and pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by the logun-ator View Post
    having had both the hw45 and the webley alecto,
    ide pick the alecto every time
    alecto-no recoil,mouse poop quiet if silenced and super accurate
    hw45-kicks like a mule,bloody noisy and pretty accurate.
    But that’s what makes them interesting. The whole springer recoil thing.

Once you introduce the Zoracki “Webley” multi-pump, you also put in play the Crosman 1322 and the older Benjamin and Sheridan ones. All of which are nice, but they aren’t a springer.

As always thanks so much everybody. I'll have a read up on them. And keep an eye out for any going for sale. Failing that guess save some more and get a new one.

Interesting that there is a HW40 in .22 that's one to think about...

I rocks a Walther