Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best springer to buy if you had hindsight?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom

Best springer to buy if you had hindsight?

Everyone has their opinion on what the best springer is - it's the one they have as they bought it, right?

But what if you were to buy one now - just one, regardless of price, make, calibre, you get to use you experience and avoid all the mistakes

Looking at weight, accuracy, smoothness, lack of recoil, consistency and looks - what would be your perfect full power springer that you can actually buy?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have two current favourites, both in .22.

Diana 54 Airking. I picked this up for a song, sidelever works for me where underlever is just cumbersome and awkward. Recoilless, as much power as you want, well built and accurate.

BSA Lightning, early one I got from alanok at the last bash. It was utter dog-poo, but with a very little work it is now a lightweight, compact hunter that still surprises me with it's manners and accuracy every time it comes out of the bag.

If I had to choose just one it would be the BSA

I have, or have had, at least one of everything else, but where most are as good as you'd expect, these two are better.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

If my Fenman had my HW95's trigger, with a Walnut Omega stock, I might have my perfect break barrel air rifle. A combo well under 8lbs thats easy to shoot so very forgiving. .177 in 12ft/lbs.

Love all my springers.

But, if I had none, nothing at all, and I was to buy a one-and-only boinger, I think it would have to be the HW98 in .177.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Now I know it won't be the best but I parted with my Brum made .22 BSA Supersport and have missed the gun every since. I bought a newer model but it just didn't seem the same. I was going to write I hope I can pick up an early Brum built one, then hey ho one turns up in the for sales section. Instant karma

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Love all my springers.

But, if I had none, nothing at all, and I was to buy a one-and-only boinger, I think it would have to be the HW98 in .177.
    Ditto
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Love all my springers.

I love all my springers with the exception of my HW98. I bought one in .22 first and love it. I collected loads of other rifles and I thought I must get a HW98 in .177 as sooooo many people say how accurate they are and it would complete my collection. I bought a brand new one and straight away put a TbT kit in it to quieten the boing. It suffered from chronic stringing of which I could not solve and got rid of it. I then purchased another one, second hand this time, and suck my stump it has the same poxy problem. So I am really envious of people when they say how accurate theirs is as mine is utter crap. I am at a loss of how to fix it, and due to my recent broken arm I am not in a position to be able to try a few things out to try and fix it as there is a fella is trying to give me advise. I am thinking of just sending it back to Weihrauch to sort out, but I can't even drive to the shop. So as much as I want to love my .177 HW98 at the moment I can't.
    I do love all my other springers though and that includes my .22 HW98. My favourite out of all my rifles is probably my HW97KT as it was my first proper rifle.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Thumbs up TX

TX 200 full length in .177.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Everyone has their opinion on what the best springer is - it's the one they have as they bought it, right?

But what if you were to buy one now - just one, regardless of price, make, calibre, you get to use you experience and avoid all the mistakes

Looking at weight, accuracy, smoothness, lack of recoil, consistency and looks - what would be your perfect full power springer that you can actually buy?
    HW80
    20 Cal 12 inch pre star barrel (cut and threaded) EBmod, V Mach’d
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    TX 200 full length in .177.
    Same for me but in .22

Mine has a lightweight alloy Nick Gibney piston and spring set up too which makes it shoot very nicely indeed

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    makes it shoot very nicely indeed
    It certainly does mate
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

In all honesty I'd probably say a nice tuned mk1 HW85 with a 95k barrel on it in .177 with gorgeous blacking to the barrel , and a seriously fettled trigger .But wait , I already have that and it's amazing.
    Just to annoy the HW fans though. my tuned Walther Terrus is every bit as good . Just not as good looking .

cptman is online now Moody Git.........Apparently?
    Hw97 ticks all the boxes for me, nearly as accurate as a pcp.
    why is it there are more horses arses in the world than there are horses?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I have to agree with a few comments above, before I recently bought my Supersport Custom then I would have said my BSA Challenger with the .25 Lightning barrel but now that's on the Supersport, then I have to say it's that, it's lighter and more pointable with a better trigger, for shear out and out accuracy it has to be my Prosport, it's the only rifle I know that just puts the pellets where you want them without having to do much to do it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Wanted back

Of the ones I have sold I would probably have the Superstar and the Sussex Armoury Rapide Back.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.