Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best springer to buy if you had hindsight?

Well, with short hindsight, I wish I'd bought either an HW95k or 99s before they brought in the horrible new woodwork!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Nearly forgot...VENOM MACH 2. Mach 1.5
    OK, you win. :-)

HW77. 177 all day long love it

As this thread is what should I have done or if I did it again then:
    First up, not bought and tried all the rifles I did. The vast majority were not as groovy as the hype and my imagination dreamed. Should never allowed myself to find out how bad most were.

Theobens are so very good.
    The Rekord trigger is so very good.
    A rifle that takes a full tune well are so much better than any factory offering. Should have invested more in tuned rifles.
    If you have a tack driver leave it alone.
    Park Rifles are superb.
    Break barrel rifles are more fun.
    Fixed barreled rifles shoot straighter.
    Heavy rifles shoot straighter.
    Should have bought more Air Arms springers and spent less time trying to get old rifles designs to match or even equal them.
    Walnut rocks.
    Shot placement is king, so thats .177.

Lastly, buy the rifles that have the reputation to do the biz. Refrain from trying to beat the system by getting something different.

My fully tuned HW95 .177 is the nicest weight sporting break barrel I own, but flighty to shoot straight.
    My Park 91 .177 the most accurate, but a lump.
    My Theoben Fenman .177 is my most successful field rifle that I have ever had.
    My Theoben SLR88 is a tack driving .22.
    I really ought to get an Air Arms. My favourite Air Rifle of all time remains the FWB 124 Sport..heck either calibre.

Just because I like a rifle doesn't mean its any easier to hit the target, any easier to shoot straight. And thats the ones that want to shoot straight...not all do.
    Last edited by Muskett; 27-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Great post Muskett, although I grew up with springers and had a Vulcan mk2 for 30 years I never really go into them, and it was only 5/6 years ago that I got a bit more into air guns other than in a casual fashion, and even then is was PCPs, so your insight is excellent.

I'm borrowing a friends HW97 to see what all the fuss is about, but I realise a proper tuned one would be better, but at least it will give me a flavour of it.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Great post Muskett, although I grew up with springers and had a Vulcan mk2 for 30 years I never really go into them, and it was only 5/6 years ago that I got a bit more into air guns other than in a casual fashion, and even then is was PCPs, so your insight is excellent.

I'm borrowing a friends HW97 to see what all the fuss is about, but I realise a proper tuned one would be better, but at least it will give me a flavour of it.
    James,
    If you can get yourself down to The Boinger Bash this weekend, you'll love it. There's some really nice people there with awealth of experience, and a vast selection of superb springers. I think if you come you wil be smitten.
    You could also bring a RW or three, I'll be taking mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartiniDave View Post
    Well, with short hindsight, I wish I'd bought either an HW95k or 99s before they brought in the horrible new woodwork!

Dave
    Just as the 100 sport Finally got a nice one

The first rifle I bought when I got back into shooting was my .20 97.

Despite a recent blip on thinking about selling it, every time I take it too the range I do not see the point in shooting anything else. With it now rejuvenated into a hunting rifle with basic 4x32 scope then it is now effectively king at the range and king in the field.

I could have saved myself a couple of grand.

Shoot springers within farmyard ranges, 25m max, then you don't need a big scope and won't be disappointed.
    Expectations that they can be a big scoped, 45m, tack driving, PCP equal is where its all gone wrong. That chase has cost us loads!

I agree.

The best springer I ever had (and I've had most of the best ones) was a Walther LGU. The LGV was a close second. Both were in .177 and so heavy I could only really shoot them from the bench.

They were very accurate though.

But not as accurate as a pcp, even at their best - or should I say at my best.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Well James, I dont know about the "best" springer I have owned as I think that each individual example differs from its brethren. Some are really good, and some aren't for whatever reason.
    Personally, I think it comes down to which guns you have personally discovered suit you best. For me, this has equated to a short list of spring powered rifles over the past forty five years or so.
    1) .22 Hw 35 Export 2) Feinwerkbau Sport 124 (.177) 3) .177 Venom Lazahunter HW 80 4) Any full length Air arms TX200 in .177 5) HW 95 in .177 calibre
    I have owned scores of other springers over the years, but none have matched what the above named guns have been capable of throughout the decades.
    I also still own an FWB 300 which is in a different league build quality wise compared to anything manufactured today.
    As previously mentioned, I have found that individual shooters just gell with a particular springer. Dont know why, but that is my own experience, which might of course be totally different to everybody elses!
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Thanks Andy

I sold my 34 year old Webley Vulcan MK2 as I had decided springers were not for me, but lately I'd been wondering if I had missed something and there were great, smooth springers out there that would take off a fly's leg at 30m So this thread was to find out from all the experience out there what the favourites were rather than me trying every gun on the planet and deciding I had made the right decision in ditching springers after all I've just got hold of an HW97 in .177 from a friend, but I'm finding it heavy and a bit underwhelming in the recoil department, my Vulcan seemed far better in both areas - I may be a lost cause

James ,
    If you are planning a trip to the range tomorrow morning let me know .
    I have a beautiful HW85k that will restore your faith in springers .
    It has upset a few flies in its time !

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    James ,
    If you are planning a trip to the range tomorrow morning let me know .
    I have a beautiful HW85k that will restore your faith in springers .
    It has upset a few flies in its time !
    I may just do that

I've got some stuff planned first thing, but may try to circle round around lunch time and bring the HW97 with me also for you to try