Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best springer to buy if you had hindsight?

A venom tuned HW80K that friend of a friend was selling as he had been refused a license due to being a criminal and did not meet the section 21 rules .

I passed it up as I got a Theoben Evolution with scope and the slim jim pump that I had always wanted too for £100 cheaper the HW80k with no scope.

I should have got the HW80k as I did not get on with the Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    I love all my springers with the exception of my HW98. I bought one in .22 first and love it. I collected loads of other rifles and I thought I must get a HW98 in .177 as sooooo many people say how accurate they are and it would complete my collection. I bought a brand new one and straight away put a TbT kit in it to quieten the boing. It suffered from chronic stringing of which I could not solve and got rid of it. I then purchased another one, second hand this time, and suck my stump it has the same poxy problem. So I am really envious of people when they say how accurate theirs is as mine is utter crap. I am at a loss of how to fix it, and due to my recent broken arm I am not in a position to be able to try a few things out to try and fix it as there is a fella is trying to give me advise. I am thinking of just sending it back to Weihrauch to sort out, but I can't even drive to the shop. So as much as I want to love my .177 HW98 at the moment I can't.
    I do love all my other springers though and that includes my .22 HW98. My favourite out of all my rifles is probably my HW97KT as it was my first proper rifle.
    Ade
    Try a fresh breech seal on the '98.

If that doesn't do the trick, try some lube on the barrel latch and working it. If that doesn't work, strip the latch, clean, add a little preload and then lube.

Bet it works.

Hope your arm is fixed soon and that you're feeling better.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Any Whiscombe

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Try a fresh breech seal on the '98.

If that doesn't do the trick, try some lube on the barrel latch and working it. If that doesn't work, strip the latch, clean, add a little preload and then lube.

Bet it works.

Hope your arm is fixed soon and that you're feeling better.
    Thanks for your kind words Tony.
    I have done everything to the rifle with the exception of stripping the latch. I will order a new spring for that and any other bits and try it as I have done everything else, but annoyingly that won't be for at least another 5 or 6 weeks, but it could be a lot worse.
    Thanks again, Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

BSA Goldstar!
    had the chance for pennies but never followed through! There was a piece in one of the mags about harvesting rabbit over fresh cut stubble, autumn, whilst waiting In ambush with one, had me hook line and sinker! Didn't have PCP cash at the time so thought yeah, the pea shooter for me. Now, I wreckon you could buy a kral, probs scoped to for the price there going these days.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm surprised there is no mention of any of the Walther guns - or is that just my springer ignorance kicking in There are quite a few different thoughts on this, I thought perhaps one may stand out, but there is a great diversity in the replies, and a lot of loved rifles.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I'm surprised there is no mention of any of the Walther guns - or is that just my springer ignorance kicking in There are quite a few different thoughts on this, I thought perhaps one may stand out, but there is a great diversity in the replies, and a lot of loved rifles.

James
    Show us a walther example please bud. Give them a miss on the classifieds myself. Walther usually means a more than shoddy copy of a hand gun in c02. Am I missing a trick? Or were they just before my time?

All of the rifles mentioned from start to finish seem to be within a certain erea, I'm young and rate all the ones I know in the post's, highly! I bet I could throw some of the new stuff better than I could shoot it

HW97 with Delrin piston conversion is where I should have stopped, a lot of others came and went but that one is the only one that stuck around. Now owned by my father as he liked it that much.

If the question relates to an 'unmolested' out of the box springer however, I'd have a Park Rifle in .177, probably a RH93.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Since I can only own one in .177" calibre now and enjoy using open sights, my choice would be a V-Mach tuned HW 95K and HW77K at close to their full power potential.

Quote Originally Posted by david1123 View Post
    Show us a walther example please bud. Give them a miss on the classifieds myself. Walther usually means a more than shoddy copy of a hand gun in c02. Am I missing a trick? Or were they just before my time?
    I have 6 Walthers 2 LGU and 4 LGV. The latest ones are superb rifles, the bluing on them is great, they are incredibly accurate, and also very quiet, the trigger once adjusted is as good as the Reckord and the CD. I rate them highly, they are a very under estimated rifle, and I believe that a lot of people are put off of them from previous versions and problems and have not even tried the newer models. The price you can pick them up for second hand is amazing, as they are a really good rifle, hence why I have 6 of them.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by david1123 View Post
    LGU and LGV - both current lines about 3 years old I think?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I would be more than happy to give an LGV a home.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

MK 1 25mm bore HW77K in 22 , V Mach’d (I think they have the best spring spec for many HW’s) with a short light 80s style mod like whisperer
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

It would be a AA Pro/Elite with 25mm reduced cylinder conversion for me.
    A Hw80 with same conversion a close second.
    Les..