Thread: HW44 Grip Finish

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends

HW44 Grip Finish

This is going to sound a bit silly but please bear with me. I've been looking at HW44's at my local RFD & I've noticed something amiss with them. It's the finish of the underside of the grip. In front of the green sticker there are two noticeable marks, on one of them the marks were shiny. The dealer said they were moulding marks & didn't see them as a problem. If the HW44 was a low price pistol I'd not give it a thought, but it's not. It's a very expensive pistol & in my mind should be flawless. While I was there I looked at a couple of HW101 rifles & the grip base was perfectly formed. Also, is the HW44 grip meant to have a convex shape to it, ie if you place it on a flat surface should it only be the front & back that make contact? I've watched loads of review videos on these & the one that give you a clear shot of the base of the grip seem to be finished properly with no marks. These were all showing earlier models with the silver controls. Is what I am seeing the result of sloppy moulding, it's perfect elsewhere on the pistol. Also on one of the ones I handled there appeared to be a large round hole under the sticker, any idea what that's for? I was able to get a pic of one so you can see what I'm on about. It's a serious investment & I'd love to hear your comments on this, thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/rxGknl8.jpg
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Are you thinking of buying one or just poking around? If you are considering buying I would say you are subconsciously looking for an excuse not to!
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Not poking around, I'm genuine in my interest to buy one. It's the flawed finish I'm struggling with.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Mines the same except that I haven’t pushed the sticker in.
    Looks like it’s the way they are made.
    The marks appear to form a circle continued under the sticker.

I assume that removing the sticker gives access to a bolt for grip removal.

The base of the grip is convex.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Mines the same except that I haven’t pushed the sticker in.
    Looks like it’s the way they are made.
    The marks appear to form a circle continued under the sticker.

I assume that removing the sticker gives access to a bolt for grip removal.

The base of the grip is convex.
    Thanks for checking. I do find this disappointing as I thought Weihrauch were famed for their build quality, their HW110's don't have any moulding marks, why do the pistols?
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Look, please don't take this personally but I really think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. When I first saw announcements for this pistol I thought it was a lot of money for a PCP pistol but when I was given a few shots with one by a club member it felt lovely and oozed quality. I had to hand it back quickly as it was making my wallet twitch!
    If you are really finding fault with the issues noted then my advice would be don't buy it, if it bugs you now it will bug you more when you have spent a shed load on it. I still think it is your sub conscious looking for a reason, any reason not to buy
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I'm beginning to think you're right Rich, thanks for your insight
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

To be honest it does sound like a little thing to get wound up over but I can understand where you are coming from. I have a couple of stickers on my HW100 that annoy me, a Green triangular one I have got rid of, I think was a pressurised warning and the 2 left I think show if the rifle has been tampered with if they are damaged. As it is at the bottom of the grips it's not as if you are going to spend that much time looking at it, it's not as if it's on the barrel.
    Besides I was always told, it's not how a gun looks that matters, it's how it shoots that counts.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Thanks Ade, as you say the true test is how it shoots & from what I've read they shoot really, really well. Decisions, decisions. I'm thinking now about going for an HW110 which is only £50 -£60 more & has more uses going for it.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55

Hi mate, I will check mine after work.
    I also tend to over think issues and I must say I felt sick when I bought mine due to the cost. However, after loads of sessions I am still absolutely over the moon with mine. I over scrutinise everything but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Hope whatever you decide on works out for you. 👍🏽

Morning Paul55. As promised I checked my gun. It too has the green sticker covering a hole. The base of the grip is also convex but it looks very intended, doesn't appear to be bad workmanship at all. Mine is the later model with black safety etc.

I can't comment on the finish but I can confirm how well they shoot. Lovely trigger and as accurate as you could want. I have only tried a friend's but it was as it came out of the box and now I am thinking of getting one!

Good luck with your decision

They shoot very well but the grips feel garbage compared to the Silverstar anatomical type.

Weihrauch messed up the design by not adding replaceable laminated Silverstar type grips, and instead went for the cheaper production option and still charge premium retail price.