Thread: meteor (mk1) serial numbers

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

meteor (mk1) serial numbers

I have a mk1 .22 T prefix complete, and a less complete N series (has a much newer stock and innards). Not fussed about the innards, but the stock is annoying me...

T prefix Mk1 has engraved / stamped large BSA meteor logo on the top of the cylinder

N prefix (I think also mk1). same as above, but the identical BSA meteor logo is etched not engraved, and it also has the BSA and piled arms stamped into the raised section of the rear scope mount.

assume they are both still Mk1s ?

Rgds,
    JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I have a mk1 .22 T prefix complete, and a less complete N series (has a much newer stock and innards). Not fussed about the innards, but the stock is annoying me...

T prefix Mk1 has engraved / stamped large BSA meteor logo on the top of the cylinder

N prefix (I think also mk1). same as above, but the identical BSA meteor logo is etched not engraved, and it also has the BSA and piled arms stamped into the raised section of the rear scope mount.

assume they are both still Mk1s ?

Rgds,
    JB

I believe they are both Mk 1s, the T refers to .22 the N refers to .177 made between 1959-1962 according to John Knibbs

I have a TA which is a MK 2 in .22 made between 1962-1966 it has the stamped logo on the cylinder and the piled arms on the rear sight

Bob

thanks Bob, makes sense, as the N is indeed a .177
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

and whilst I'm talking about Mk1s, where do all the rearsights go ? They never seem to have them !

I've had a couple with just the dovetail section left in place.

A previous owner trying to adjust the windage and breaking the spot weld in the process?.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    and whilst I'm talking about Mk1s, where do all the rearsights go ? They never seem to have them !
    They are basically crap and get broken. As you know there is very little mechanical difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 Meteors, but I prefer the Mk2 as the sight is more solid and I have never been keen on the Diana type, thinking that the elevation plate can wobble in the base.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"