Thread: New boy (of Bus Pass age)

New boy (of Bus Pass age)

Hallo everybody, new boy checking in. It’s some 45+ years since I’ve owned an air pistol / rifle and like this morning’s breakfast can’t for the life of me remember what I had.

10mtr pistol target shooting has whetted my appetite. I’ve applied to join my local club but they have a year’s waiting list for induction and probationary membership. The intention was to use club guns until I knew what I was / wasn’t doing then make an investment in something PCP high end. With the club wait I am now considering the CO2 budget end of the market to shoot in the back garden and teach myself all the bad habits that will take ages to train out once a club member. Currently doing as much reading and research as I can. What target gun to buy is a challenge but ‘time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted’.

It is good to be member here, lots to read, thanks for having me.

John

Hello John and welcome,mike

Welcome to the BBS, John.

All the best Mick

Welcome, John.

Your post made me smile.

Advice: forget the CO2 stuff, and find a nice used Diana 6/6G/6M or 10 with good seals, or an FWB65/80, or a FAS600, or even a Gamo Compact (pre-2007 have better triggers). It will be much better to shoot, much better preparation for 10M match, and hold its used value.

Thanks for the welcomes. Your reply Geezer harmonises nicely with the question I asked on the target shooting board. FWB, FAS and Gamo have all been mentioned there as well as did a general thumbs down for CO2. Patiently now perusing sale sites various. 'Ta very much' as they say they say in Yorkshire not that I’ve lived there since leaving home at 16.

Just seen your other thread.

Also agree on the Lov21.

Bargain options are the HW40 and Beeman 2004/P17. Even the old Webley Nemesis SSP and, at a pinch, the Gamo P45.

Though I’d still prefer those listed above.

Welcome, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Phut View Post
    Hallo everybody, new boy checking in. It’s some 45+ years since I’ve owned an air pistol / rifle and like this morning’s breakfast can’t for the life of me remember what I had.

10mtr pistol target shooting has whetted my appetite. I’ve applied to join my local club but they have a year’s waiting list for induction and probationary membership. The intention was to use club guns until I knew what I was / wasn’t doing then make an investment in something PCP high end. With the club wait I am now considering the CO2 budget end of the market to shoot in the back garden and teach myself all the bad habits that will take ages to train out once a club member. Currently doing as much reading and research as I can. What target gun to buy is a challenge but ‘time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted’.

It is good to be member here, lots to read, thanks for having me.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Advice: forget the CO2 stuff, and find a nice used Diana 6/6G/6M or 10 with good seals, or an FWB65/80, or a FAS600, or even a Gamo Compact (pre-2007 have better triggers). It will be much better to shoot, much better preparation for 10M match, and hold its used value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Bargain options are the HW40 and Beeman 2004/P17. Even the old Webley Nemesis SSP and, at a pinch, the Gamo P45.

Though I’d still prefer those listed above.

Welcome, again.
    Hi John and a very warm welcome to the forum.
    I'm sure you'll already be aware that there are many friendly, helpful and knowledgeable people on here.

Fully agree with Mr Geezer's pointers.

If budget allows, I'd also be sticking a HW75 on the list.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!