Thread: First purchase

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First purchase

It’s difficult when you don’t know what you’re doing. The idea was to join the local shooting club, learn all things about 10mtr pistol target shooting while using club guns and picking the brains of others then at the end of my probationary period either walk away deciding it wasn’t for me or invest in something high end ish assuming I had the necessary skill to justify it. But with a waiting list for membership of a year I’ve had to resort to Plan B, buy a budget target pistol and fire away in the garden.

After a few weeks of reading and watching anything and everything target pistol related I’ve come up with a short list of budget pistols that I think will meet my needs, 2 are CO2, the Gamo a SSP.

SMK CP1
    Gamo Compact
    Airforce 1 Trophy

The SMK features a lot on the net with a loyal user base and has the added advantage of being the cheapest (or is that the most cost effective?). What do other think, is this short list hitting the target, wide of the mark and what is missing that I should be considering to give me a good start in the target pistol world?

Grateful for any advice.

John

Personally - I would go for a second hand FWB65 (or 80). Second hand because they haven't been made for years but they still regularly appear for sale because of their engineering excellence.
    Quality, accuracy (adjustable sights, fixed barrel, low recoil and match trigger) and FAR cheaper to run than a CO2.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for that IJ. My research has been based around what is currently in production and in the shops, a little harder to find information on “yesterday's classics” hence answers like yours are invaluable. Certainly nothing against pre-used, just a little harder to get it right first time.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'd also steer away from CO2 if your going into target pistols, and I would also think about getting a good deal on a second hand mid range one rather than a cheap one which may disappoint - don't think of the price, think of what you will lose selling it in 12/18 months - possible only £100 on a saught after gun rather than the same on a slightly cheaper one that no one really wants?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Good points Jesim, the Air Arms Alpha and Hämmerli AP20 got shortlisted but the (at the moment) faff of recharging put me off PCPs at my current stage in the hobby. The FAS6004 is also there and I understand the 604 was well liked.

Hi, of the three pistols that you have listed above the CP1 and Air force 1 are basically the same, however the SMK CP1 can be found for about £100 if you shop around.
    The Gamo Compact has the best grip of all three mentioned, the grip does make quite a difference on a target pistol. In my opinion the CP1 or the Compact would serve you well starting out, try and handle both first, BUT if you find a Fwb 65 or an 80 at a price that suits you, go for it as the quality is superb and they last for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by colin57 View Post
    Hi, of the three pistols that you have listed above the CP1 and Air force 1 are basically the same, however the SMK CP1 can be found for about £100 if you shop around.
    The Gamo Compact has the best grip of all three mentioned, the grip does make quite a difference on a target pistol. In my opinion the CP1 or the Compact would serve you well starting out, try and handle both first, BUT if you find a Fwb 65 or an 80 at a price that suits you, go for it as the quality is superb and they last for ever.
    There was a FWB 80 for sale on here recently for £220 so they still do appear now and then. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....tch-air-pistol

(p.s. I have NOTHING to do with this sale. )
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've got the Gamo compact & I think it's superb. I bought mine new for £170 but they regularly come up 2nd hand for around £100.
    Accurate, easy to use & no co2 caplets to think about.