Thread: First purchase

First purchase

It’s difficult when you don’t know what you’re doing. The idea was to join the local shooting club, learn all things about 10mtr pistol target shooting while using club guns and picking the brains of others then at the end of my probationary period either walk away deciding it wasn’t for me or invest in something high end ish assuming I had the necessary skill to justify it. But with a waiting list for membership of a year I’ve had to resort to Plan B, buy a budget target pistol and fire away in the garden.

After a few weeks of reading and watching anything and everything target pistol related I’ve come up with a short list of budget pistols that I think will meet my needs, 2 are CO2, the Gamo a SSP.

SMK CP1
    Gamo Compact
    Airforce 1 Trophy

The SMK features a lot on the net with a loyal user base and has the added advantage of being the cheapest (or is that the most cost effective?). What do other think, is this short list hitting the target, wide of the mark and what is missing that I should be considering to give me a good start in the target pistol world?

Grateful for any advice.

John

Personally - I would go for a second hand FWB65 (or 80). Second hand because they haven't been made for years but they still regularly appear for sale because of their engineering excellence.
    Quality, accuracy (adjustable sights, fixed barrel, low recoil and match trigger) and FAR cheaper to run than a CO2.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks for that IJ. My research has been based around what is currently in production and in the shops, a little harder to find information on “yesterday's classics” hence answers like yours are invaluable. Certainly nothing against pre-used, just a little harder to get it right first time.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'd also steer away from CO2 if your going into target pistols, and I would also think about getting a good deal on a second hand mid range one rather than a cheap one which may disappoint - don't think of the price, think of what you will lose selling it in 12/18 months - possible only £100 on a saught after gun rather than the same on a slightly cheaper one that no one really wants?
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Good points Jesim, the Air Arms Alpha and Hämmerli AP20 got shortlisted but the (at the moment) faff of recharging put me off PCPs at my current stage in the hobby. The FAS6004 is also there and I understand the 604 was well liked.

Hi, of the three pistols that you have listed above the CP1 and Air force 1 are basically the same, however the SMK CP1 can be found for about £100 if you shop around.
    The Gamo Compact has the best grip of all three mentioned, the grip does make quite a difference on a target pistol. In my opinion the CP1 or the Compact would serve you well starting out, try and handle both first, BUT if you find a Fwb 65 or an 80 at a price that suits you, go for it as the quality is superb and they last for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by colin57 View Post
    Hi, of the three pistols that you have listed above the CP1 and Air force 1 are basically the same, however the SMK CP1 can be found for about £100 if you shop around.
    The Gamo Compact has the best grip of all three mentioned, the grip does make quite a difference on a target pistol. In my opinion the CP1 or the Compact would serve you well starting out, try and handle both first, BUT if you find a Fwb 65 or an 80 at a price that suits you, go for it as the quality is superb and they last for ever.
    There was a FWB 80 for sale on here recently for £220 so they still do appear now and then. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....tch-air-pistol

(p.s. I have NOTHING to do with this sale. )

I've got the Gamo compact & I think it's superb. I bought mine new for £170 but they regularly come up 2nd hand for around £100.
    Accurate, easy to use & no co2 caplets to think about.

Of the pistols you have listed on one has a trigger anywhere near good enough & that is the Gamo compact, The CP1 and all its derivatives fall well short in terms of their trigger,

As for CO2 you can pick up some bargains with match grade triggers, FWB, Walther CP1, CP2 etc (not to be confused with the SMK CP1) can be purchased now for around £200, are superbly accurate and have proper match triggers, they do require bulk fill but this is actually very easy and no more equipment is required other than a cylinder, an old CO2 fire extinguisher can be used and there are plenty of posts regarding filling, If i were looking for something at the budget end I would not hesitate in buying any of these, chances are you'll use it for a while and be able to sell it at exactly what you paid for it,

Mechanical options would be any of the FWB65/80/90 series, Original/Diana Mod 6/10 great pistols, superb triggers and accurate, there are still example around at sensible money although these do often get high prices also for nice examples. Walther Lp2/3's can also be found for around £200 and can the FAS604, again all very good. Gamo Compact would also fit this category and often come up at around the £120 mark,

Another very viable option is the Drulov lov21, not a pretty pistol but very accurate, a better trigger than the SMK and a chap on here even make a palmshelf and accessories to fit which will give you far better grip and stability, do not underestimate how accurate these little ugly ducklings can be, I would consider selling mine simply as I purchased it for my son who has now upgraded, not a selling pitch as i'm more than happy to keep it but an option if you want it,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post

Another very viable option is the Drulov lov21, not a pretty pistol but very accurate, a better trigger than the SMK and a chap on here even make a palmshelf and accessories to fit which will give you far better grip and stability, do not underestimate how accurate these little ugly ducklings can be, I would consider selling mine simply as I purchased it for my son who has now upgraded, not a selling pitch as i'm more than happy to keep it but an option if you want it,
    I have to agree the Drulov 21 is a very competant and often overlooked pistol. With a little work (lubing, trigger, grip etc.) they produce good results. There only draw back is that compared to say FWB 65/80 and Diana/RWS giss they are expensive to run.

ATB
    Ian

Gents, to all many thanks for you replies. Lots there to consider and pointing me in directions I hadn’t appreciated. It looks as though CO2 might not be my best idea and PCP isn’t something I want to get involved in as a first gun although I appreciate it is the only way to go when I step up a level. If only I kept my tank when I finished diving! I hadn’t considered triggers, something else to bear in mind.

If my replies and thanks have been slow forthcoming it’s because my posts are still being moderated but I am very grateful to all. So much to get my head around and without a physical club and it’s membership to query this site and it’s collective knowledge is invaluable. Now to peruse the various second hand sites.

John

Hi everybody and thanks for all the replies. All my replies to you thus far have gone to the moderator for approval as I am a newbi but although other contributions elsewhere are now appearing unmoderated those to this thread seem to be AWOL, sorry about that.

It seems that CO2 is not the way to go according to the majority and I hadn’t given trigger action a thought. Some good mechanical options to look out for on the second hand market so that’s where I’m off to now, searching for that elusive bargain. I’ve found a FAS604 already but it is in Ireland and I’d much rather have a face-to-face.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to help this confused newbi out.

John

Very interesting thread

As another 'newby' I am in a similar position.......

I have a Webley Alecto MkV which is pretty accurate and - important for me as I like to shoot in my garden and garage without disturbing elderly neighbours - very quiet with a Stumpy moderator fitted.
    However, I really fancy trying a 'quality, dedicated match pistol'.

I too don't really fancy the 'faff' and expense of air tanks and finding somewhere to get them filled but realise that I might have to bite the bullet at some point.

Having read lots of comments/recommendations here and elsewhere, I had considered the Tau CO2 but can't find anywhere that sells them?

I had also considered an older FWB but prices seem high for what they are and I'm not sure how noisy they are?

The 'cheap' end of the pcp market seems to offer the AA Alpha or the Hämmerli AP20 - I have read mixed reviews about both and don't feel confident to 'jump in' and invest best part of £1000 including air kit?