Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Steyr pro x scout

My new Steyr pro x scout

Please read Bighits edited copy of my review (below) as mine was a bit of an eye strain lol. Mike
    Last edited by nuggs; 20-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Hi all,this is not a comprehensive review but just my thoughts and findings on my new purchase!
    I’ve taken a chance as there was no reviews out on this gun yet
    and traded in my other two PCPs for this Steyr pro x scout Bullpup in .177.

It came in the standard Steyr hard case with egg shell foam which I knew straight away would be of no use once a scope is fitted ,as not tall enough !

The case contained usual accessories for filling ,and tools for minor maintenance,1x 10 shot rotary mag and a plastic covered booklet which contained a card with an actual 10 shot (I think)clover leaf group carried out using this gun at 25 Mtrs and stating what pellets were used (jsb exact 8.44) which is a nice touch

.On lifting the gun out it feels a little weighty compared to my wild cat but more solidly built and better put together.

It came with a seperate raised picatinny rail which I attached and put my MTC viper connect 3-12x32 on with medium Hawke mounts which felt really good to shoulder and came to the eye perfectly.

The gun looked good with this scope as it has to sit right back due to near zero eye relief and suits the short length rather than pics I’ve seen of large scopes almost coming forward of the end of the muzzle.I added a donny tatsu mod which I am not too sure of the looks on the gun at the moment but time will tell !

The action is 10 shot self indexing and I must say works flawlessly.

The mag is loaded just as many other open end rotary mags ..hw100,wildcat etc.

The mag can only be inserted when the system is cocked.It cannot be inserted incorrectly,as only the groove on the magazine and the spring sleeve can fit together.

You lift a small metal flap on the top of the mag housing line the mag up with a small recess and drop it in ,you then rotate magazine clockwise with thumb or finger for a few audible clicks until stop ,close mag lid and away you go.

After 10 shots the mag is empty and can be removed,it can also be removed at anytime when not empty by pressing a catch under the mag housing which releases the sprung load on the mag and can then be lifted out .This sounds a bit of a fuddle but after a few goes become second nature ,also once the mag has been removed there is no chance of a pellet being left in the barrel so very safe .

I must say if you have large Hands/stumpy fingers you may find it difficult to grasp the top of the mag when removing it as there is little room for gripping it ,I have small hands /fingers and had no probs ,also there might be difficulty’s if wearing gloves .

I had a quick zero in the garden at 18yrds with barracuda match and was spot on in no time and ready to visit my wooded permission for a better test after first nervously drilling the stock for bipod/sling studs.

Once at the woods I set a target at 25yrds and without really giving the different pellets (h@n barracuda match,jsb exact,aa fields,accupels and aa express)the chance they needed I found jsb exact 4.53 were slightly better than the rest although all tested were not terrible and with more testing could come up to scratch ,so the barrel wasn’t really fussy .

The gun seems to throw the odd pellet in a mag full and there was no order when doing so but always had one that was a pellets length or slightly more out ,it could be the way the self indexing system lends itself as has to be precisely lined up and the tolerances needed for that are minute ! which I was prepared for after having a hunting five and knowing that this 10 shot system would be more technical,but I had great results from my hunting 5 sa, and believe this will be no different .

If I was looking for pellet on pellet at 60yrds I would have gone for something else but what I want this gun for is hunting and lots of fun shooting /plinking which i believe it was designed for !

Back to the accuracy and at 25yrds 3-5 pellets would be same hole and by the end of the mag a clover leaf hole would appear with the same out to 35yrds which is my max hunting distance so will be fine and what amazed me the most was 10 shots fired rapidly ie in under 5 secs and the groupings at the same two distances hardly opened up at all .

I couldn’t try at greater distances as I was a bit trigger happy and ran out of air but was also Impressed with a shot count of 140 before any noticeable drop .

I put 10 shots over the chrony and with the jsb exacts 5 were the same at 782 with 779 lowest and 787 highest so about 11.5ftlbs.But as I said only 10 shots so will try a longer session later.

First impression overall is very well put together with a good balance for such a short gun and with good accuracy that I would be happy to hunt with .

Very expensive but I think you are paying for the proven Steyr name of quality and with this gun ..exclusivity !

I know people will start saying I wouldn’t pay that for a pcp ! And I have a gun that costs £50 and it’s just as accurate ,then that’s fine I could have one of those as well but chose this for what it is ... something different and a very compact well made gun with good accuracy and rapid fire fun when wanted but also to use seriously on the greys ,rats and rabbits ....and other vermin/ pests when permitted��I think and hope I have done the right thing in getting this gun and so far it ticks my boxes .

I have a pard NV008 coming for it as my yukon would be almost bigger than the gun lol so will be off out with that when it arrives ,thanks for putting me in touch with Splatty at custom rifle scopes as he gave me a good deal on the pard .

Hope this helps in giving people an idea of the gun before they decide to purchase and if I can answer any questions you may have I will be glad to help to,I will also try to post some pics if I can get my head around it lol. Mike.
    Hope you don't mind. Makes it a little easier to read on smaller screens

Pau

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Hope you don't mind. Makes it a little easier to read on smaller screens

Pau
    Thanks .. yes it does .

Quote Originally Posted by nuggs View Post
    Thanks .. yes it does .

Cant even spell my own name right No worries.

Nice rifle, I thought about one myself. However at £2500 accuracy should be as good as any! I wouldn’t be happy with 2nd best especially coming from steyr
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

And it gets better after actually giving the barrel a good pull through.
    I only used the felt wads and that wasn’t obviously good enough,and could have been some crud in the barrel.
    It was a bit finicky as I had to hook out the eye of the pull through to be able to attach the cloth at the breach and carefully pull back through,but it made all the difference.
    Am now getting genuine one hole 5 shot groups at 35yrds and cloverleaf at 40 yards

A happy shooter .

Thanks for the review. Interesting reading.

I’d love one of these. Well done for diving in that man!

How much are spare mags? Is it moderated? Effective?
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    Thanks for the review. Interesting reading.

I’d love one of these. Well done for diving in that man!

How much are spare mags? Is it moderated? Effective?
    Have an extra mag on order £70 ...I know

Definitely need a mod as very loud without and still a bit of a ping by the ear with mod fitted but not noticeable away from gun

I believe you can order a sound deadening shroud as they call it but unsure how effective it is

You will also need lots of pellets

Ow
    £70!

I’ll need more than lots of pellets to get it past the missus too.

One day......
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Hmmmm.. haven’t seen these!! Where did you buy it from?

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hmmmm.. haven’t seen these!! Where did you buy it from?
    Got it from braces of Bristol ..Nice chaps in there .

Interesting reading, does the rifle fire the pellet from the magazine or does it seat it in the breech ? And £70 for spare mag ? That would sting
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

very good review. but at £2500 it is dam expensive. and £70 for a mag some youtube reviews say it will not be good enough for a hft application but at that price and with their own barrel fitted it should be. love the semi auto nature of the gun though just wish gaystate would bring out a bullpup that was semi auto also.

Hmmm........ am very tempted have been looking at Krale and they are 2300ish and mags 70 as per u.k., only problem is what version to get? The long one or the short one????

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Interesting reading, does the rifle fire the pellet from the magazine or does it seat it in the breech ? And £70 for spare mag ? That would sting
    Yep pellet fires straight from the mag .