Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up for material for shimming scope mounts

Heads up for material for shimming scope mounts

I believe that folks use various materials for shimming scope mounts in order to compensate for elevation requirements to allow latitude in adjusting of the reticle settings. Celluloid film is generally considered very satisfactory and preferable to adhesive tape, but these days celluloid film is maybe not so readily available.

An extremely satisfactory material that is ideal for the purpose is the fine quality plastic ‘separators’ used in ‘Emporium’ brand cheese slices available In branches of Aldi. It’s non-adhesive and has the integrity once cut to size to provide perfect shims for any adjustment that is necessary....also it happens to be very good cheese... various flavours available! 😎

Nice one, Graeme.

Hope you're feeling fine and dandy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Hopefully, give it a little rinse first?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I use the off-cuts from laminating, I only like my cheese toasted!, those separators taste horrible!.
    Dave.

Is there really such a thing as precut cheese slices?

Bb

I've used the metallic/plastic blister packaging from tablets to good effect.

Personally I use film base as I have a 100m roll I acquired before Kodak shutdown. Like said on a previous reply it's not readily available now, but at the range where we shoot is an abundance of shotgun cartridges. Cut to the right width they have a curve that fits the mounts perfectly and providing it's not over tightened it works perfectly well.
    Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

I prefer to cure the problem which causes the supposed need to shim

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I prefer to cure the problem which causes the supposed need to shim
    How’s that then? Or do you mean adjustable mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    How’s that then? Or do you mean adjustable mounts?
    No, I mean there must be a reason why the poi is so far from the LOS of the scope, a bent barrel, duff mounts, trying to zero too close, whatever it is find it & fix it.

have the same problem,but have Hawke adj mounts to experiment with
    But this gets round the prob without sorting it
    If I had cheese smelling shims my dog would want to come shooting as well.......

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No, I mean there must be a reason why the poi is so far from the LOS of the scope, a bent barrel, duff mounts, trying to zero too close, whatever it is find it & fix it.
    No, it's just that if you put a scope high or shoot close (or far) or a combination of both then you can run out of travel on some scopes with limited elevation adjustment.

But shims just bend the scope so adjustables are the way to avoid that and give the scope an easier time.

Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    have the same problem,but have Hawke adj mounts to experiment with
    But this gets round the prob without sorting it
    If I had cheese smelling shims my dog would want to come shooting as well.......
    I have a Hawke one here too. my mate used it on his photon night vision but gave me the mount when he sold the photon. Never used the mount myself .

Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    I believe that folks use various materials for shimming scope mounts in order to compensate for elevation requirements to allow latitude in adjusting of the reticle settings. Celluloid film is generally considered very satisfactory and preferable to adhesive tape, but these days celluloid film is maybe not so readily available.

An extremely satisfactory material that is ideal for the purpose is the fine quality plastic ‘separators’ used in ‘Emporium’ brand cheese slices available In branches of Aldi. It’s non-adhesive and has the integrity once cut to size to provide perfect shims for any adjustment that is necessary....also it happens to be very good cheese... various flavours available! 😎
    Not as good as tape BUT it hase to be SCOTCH TAPE. It doesnt break down like ordinary cellotape. Irrespective of any shimming needs....i line all of my mounts with scotch tape. Doesnt shift or go gummy. Easily available and better for you than plastic cheese😎😎😎
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Is it not possible to use a set of mounts to suit, or a scope with more adjustment ?
    I’ve never seen a shim fix that was a great solution ....
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34