Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heads up for material for shimming scope mounts

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Is it not possible to use a set of mounts to suit, or a scope with more adjustment ?
    I’ve never seen a shim fix that was a great solution ....
    Quite, never had to or needed to, resort to shimming a scope.

I guess I've been exceptionally lucky over the years. Mounts on, scope positioned, a few clicks on the turrets and scope zeroed. So I've never run out of adjustment.

HOWEVER, it seems thst having your scope optically centred and achieving zero by the use of adjustable mounts is, indeed, a good thing. But it's not something I've ever played with.

As mentioned previously, if a scope won't adjust to enough to achieve zero, there must be other naughty factors at play.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

After market field target scope rails are machined with an angle to accommodate , getting the scope optically centred at 55 yds, to avoid shim.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Is it not possible to use a set of mounts to suit, or a scope with more adjustment ?
    I’ve never seen a shim fix that was a great solution ....
    you can use a scope rail with an angle built in .

Don't some rife makers produce rifles with droopy barrels . Pretty sure Diana are guilty of it.

https://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/leap...n034-929-p.asp

Leapers UTG Compensator Mount for Diana Airguns with TO5 Trigger and Large Barrel Droop - MNT-DN034
    Last edited by bighit; 23-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Just a reminder that shimming creates an angle between mount bases and scope - thus latter becoming much more prone to damage - so the best way to shim is to "taper shim" both front and rear, so that the scope is in full contact. Found the best way to do this would be with stepped aluminium sheets, and the scope ultimately bedded in the mounts - I used Gelcoat Filler for glassfibre, but something like JB Weld should be fine, if perhaps stickier to work with. And test a release agent beforehand too...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Don't some rife makers produce rifles with droopy barrels . Pretty sure Diana are guilty of it.

https://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/leap...n034-929-p.asp

Leapers UTG Compensator Mount for Diana Airguns with TO5 Trigger and Large Barrel Droop - MNT-DN034
    It’s more the case that some don’t understand trajectory