Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW99S (.22) Accuracy Problems

HW99S (.22) Accuracy Problems

I have a stock HW99S in .22 which has a lovely shooting cycle but I'm struggling to get it to group in a satisfactory manner (it's miles off my TX in .177). Thus far, I've tried H&N FTTs, AA Diabolo Fields (are these the same as JSB Exacts?)and RWS Superfields at 30 yards rested and I'm tending to get groups around the 3/4 inch-1 inch mark (some larger; others smaller) which I just don't think is at all satisfactory. Of the pellets I've tried, the RWS Superfields were rubbish and the FTTs and Diabolo Fields were about the same. I want to get some pellets to try as I'm sure this gun can shoot better than that, so which pellets should I get? I was thinking RWS Superdomes but have also heard good things about JSB Exact Express and Bisley Long Range Gold - are these worth a try? Alternatively (and I'm hoping I'm wrong here), am I naive to expect comparable accuracy to my .177 TX and 30 yards rested?

I absolutely love this gun's shot cycle and picked up a beautiful Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 which suits this rifle perfectly so I'm extremely keen to get this rig sorted and shooting as well as possible.

You've already tried many of the usual top candidates and those others you mention are certainly worth a try. Maybe give the Webley Accupell and H&N Sniper Light a try, too. Not sure if QYS do .22? If so, looking at some of the results with the company's .177s, they'd certainly be worth trying out.

Hope you get there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Jsb

P.S. I seem to remember that JSB do two versions of the lighter pellet, the Express and RS? Both worth a try as might be the JSB made Falcon Accuracy Plus. Not too sure if the AAF is exactly the same as the same weight Exact (sic!) or differs slightly?

Also not sure if choosing from different batches will make as much difference as with the .177s.

Also worth a try will be the Weihrauch branded FTT and Exacts.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

3" to 4" groups doesn't sound right for any pellet at 30 yards rested!

Is the barrel crown damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    3" to 4" groups doesn't sound right for any pellet at 30 yards rested!

Is the barrel crown damaged?
    Think he means three quarters of an inch to one inch.

My 99 .177

My .177 99S favours Kaisers, Sovereign and AA Field 4.51 in that order.
    HW30STL .177, HW45 Blackstar .177, HW77 .177, LGV Challenger .177, BSA Airsporter S Mk1 .22. Original 65 .177, BSA Lightning GRT .177, HW99 .177.

Mine likes JSB exact express best but it may be worth trying falcon accuracy plus as well.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

My 99s shoots great with the HN FTT 5.53 head size. I fitted a barrel weight on my gun (it was a bit hold sensative) and it as improved it big time.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    My 99s shoots great with the HN FTT 5.53 head size. I fitted a barrel weight on my gun (it was a bit hold sensative) and it as improved it big time.
    Les..
    Hold sensitivity possibly down to piston bounce and using tight fit pellet.
    Lighter pellets may have lessened hold sensitivity and negated need for barrel weight
    B.A.S.C. member

In my experience .22 Weihrauch barrels like accupel.

mY 22 99 LOVED JSB EXACT JUMBO'S 5.52

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Hold sensitivity possibly down to piston bounce and using tight fit pellet.
    Lighter pellets may have lessened hold sensitivity and negated need for barrel weight
    I did use AA field which gave more ftlbs and where a easier fit in the barrel, but switched over to HN FTT for better accuracy, the gun shoots and feels better with the barrel weight fitted.
    Les

A few more thoughts on this.......

What "shape" are the groups? Round, but larger than hoped for, or vertical stringing? If vertical stringing it mighy just be worth changing the breech seal. Sometimes different clearances might lead to in consistent lock-up. And maybe also lube the barrel latch.

Also, and it's something that I've always shied away from and never had the need......does the barrel need a clean. Especially where some harder pellets with higher antimony content have been used, when using a softer pellet, these softer pellets may not be shifting any build-up and "conditioning" themselves to the barrel. In a brilliant recent article, Jim Tyler spoke of this very subject and extols the virtues of cleaning with a brass brush. If it's deemed okay by the guru Jim, then it must be fine. Not sure if you'd give it one pass from breech to muzzle or a few passes in both directions and I'd love to see more advice from Jim on this. Once cleaned, fire a good twenty or so pellets to recondition the barrel before testing continues.

Hope this may help a little if your testing with alternative pellets doesn't do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    A few more thoughts on this.......

What "shape" are the groups? Round, but larger than hoped for, or vertical stringing? If vertical stringing it mighy just be worth changing the breech seal. Sometimes different clearances might lead to in consistent lock-up. And maybe also lube the barrel latch.

Also, and it's something that I've always shied away from and never had the need......does the barrel need a clean. Especially where some harder pellets with higher antimony content have been used, when using a softer pellet, these softer pellets may not be shifting any build-up and "conditioning" themselves to the barrel. In a brilliant recent article, Jim Tyler spoke of this very subject and extols the virtues of cleaning with a brass brush. If it's deemed okay by the guru Jim, then it must be fine. Not sure if you'd give it one pass from breech to muzzle or a few passes in both directions and I'd love to see more advice from Jim on this. Once cleaned, fire a good twenty or so pellets to recondition the barrel before testing continues.

Hope this may help a little if your testing with alternative pellets doesn't do the trick.
    Excellent advice, also a tx200 is a heavy rifle you will have to hold a 99s more securely with your fingers not just relying on wieght to hold it down.
    Rest the gun on your hand then steady with the bag.
    mk2 rapid.22

Have you checked your stock screws are tight? I've experienced poor grouping when mine worked lose, coincided with fitting a new scope so ended up chasing my tail for a good few hours.