Thread: posting to scotland ? laws ?

posting to scotland ? laws ?

recently on freeads i got into it a bit with a bloke who could not get his head around the fact i wouldnt post an air rifle to scotland as i didnt know where i stood legally , last thing you want if the firearms team at your door . i declined his bid even though it was the asking price , but got nothing but a load messages after messages off him , anyway, im getting away from my point. i assume its illegal to post there with the licence needed ? just wanting to clarify for future reference

It's perfectly legal for you. The buyer would be committing an offence if he didn't have a licence, but there's no legal comeback on you. I can understand why he was annoyed.

As above. Sell it to him. It's not the same as selling a shotgun or firearm that is on a certificate that you would also hold.

March is offline Kind, benevolent, drives a Lamborghini
    Probably!!. Some punctuation, was inert to the conversation.

Just saying like.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Your posting it in England, where it's perfectly legal to do so, just to cover yourself you could have asked for a copy of his licence showing his name and address, but it would be him who was in position of an air rifle without one if he didn't have it.
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

As above.

When selling to Scotland from any other country, including England or Wales, the seller has no responsibility at all for whether the buyer has a licence or not because the seller is not governed by Scottish law.

BUT if the seller does live in Scotland he/she must not sell (or lend, or hire, or give as a present) airguns or some parts or accessories like moderators or barrels to anyone else in Scotland without checking their licence (section 24(2) of the 2015 Act).

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by copperstone View Post
    recently on freeads i got into it a bit with a bloke who could not get his head around the fact i wouldnt post an air rifle to scotland as i didnt know where i stood legally , last thing you want if the firearms team at your door . i declined his bid even though it was the asking price , but got nothing but a load messages after messages off him , anyway, im getting away from my point. i assume its illegal to post there with the licence needed ? just wanting to clarify for future reference
    No, Your assumption is incorrect
    You abide by the law of the country where you live & where the item will be sent from, it's up to the recipient to ensure that when it arrives any laws at their end are met.

robby is offline Whos the odd one out now
    Don't do it,its all I can recommend,that buyer might be up to no good with it.if he got a licence then go for it otherwise don't.

think in future, ill shy away from posting to scotland unless they can provide evidence of a licence then

Quote Originally Posted by copperstone View Post
    think in future, ill shy away from posting to scotland unless they can provide evidence of a licence then
    Why ? Your not breaking any laws.

Also what's to say the guy showing you the license is the guy buying it

Think back to when you were younger . Kids wanting booze or fags from the shop but they are under age. They ask some older to get them for them.

What's to stop me ,a license holder fronting for my unlicensed mate ? Not that would do it .

If you have sold any before have you asked for proof the buyer is not banned under section 21 of the firearms act ?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Just a question, does this mean l could post an airgun to the USA ect. or is that different?

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Just a question, does this mean l could post an airgun to the USA ect. or is that different?
    If you follow the rules on posting firearms from the exporting country ( in your example the UK) and follow the rules in the country you are sending it to then yes you can.

It's getting someone to take it that is the problem in most cases . Some times it's not worth the money involved in getting it there.

Unfortunately way different, domestic postage is allowed, international postage is not, refer to the terms & conditions given by Royal Mail / Parcelforce Worldwide.

Since the AWL was introduced,I'd have thought there would be more stuff travelling from north to south of the border than the reverse.

Was the person you bought from recently an air weapon licence holder?.

Just a thought

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Thank you guys for the replys, that as cleared it up for me.